Cisco router as a PPTP Client

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by antony.nicholson@gmail.com, Sep 26, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi all, i have read the following posting -
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/81d58c31469d558b
    and have been trying to get this to run for the last few days, can
    someone point me in the right direction please ?
    it is running on a 871 router with the 870c-advipservices image,
    connecting to a microsoft rras box.
    the connection is temporally established then dropped as if there is
    some sort of negotiation issue. I have tried this with connecting to a
    cisco router at the other end and it worked fine, but for some reason
    it just doesn't want to connect to a rras box. i have tried 3
    different rras servers just to make sure.

    The config is below, i have prob missed a couple of things -

    Current configuration : 1624 bytes
    version 12.4

    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    no service password-encryption
    service internal

    hostname Router

    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker

    logging message-counter syslog
    no logging console

    enable secret ######
    enable password #####

    no aaa new-model

    dot11 syslog

    ip source-route

    no ip gratuitous-arps

    ip cef
    ip multicast-routing

    no ipv6 cef

    multilink bundle-name authenticated

    vpdn enable

    vpdn-group 1
    request-dialin
    protocol pptp
    rotary-group 0
    initiate-to ip ##.##.##.##

    archive
    log config
    hidekeys

    interface FastEthernet0

    interface FastEthernet1
    shutdown

    interface FastEthernet2
    shutdown

    interface FastEthernet3
    shutdown

    interface FastEthernet4
    no ip address
    shutdown
    duplex auto
    speed auto

    interface Vlan1
    ip address 10.35.23.90 255.255.255.0
    ip nat inside
    ip virtual-reassembly

    interface Dialer0
    mtu 1450
    ip address negotiated
    ip pim dense-mode
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer in-band
    dialer idle-timeout 0
    dialer string 123
    dialer vpdn
    dialer-group 1
    no cdp enable
    ppp pfc local request
    ppp pfc remote apply
    ppp encrypt mppe auto
    ppp chap hostname ###
    ppp chap password 0 #####

    ip forward-protocol nd
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.35.23.254
    no ip http server
    no ip http secure-server

    dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

    control-plane

    line con 0
    no modem enable
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    password ######
    login

    scheduler max-task-time 5000
    end

    Any help with this problem would be appreciated

    , Sep 26, 2008

  2. Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <>, writes:
    | Hi all, i have read the following posting -
    | http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/81d58c31469d558b
    | and have been trying to get this to run for the last few days, can
    | someone point me in the right direction please ?
    | it is running on a 871 router with the 870c-advipservices image,
    | connecting to a microsoft rras box.
    | the connection is temporally established then dropped as if there is
    | some sort of negotiation issue. I have tried this with connecting to a
    | cisco router at the other end and it worked fine, but for some reason
    | it just doesn't want to connect to a rras box. i have tried 3
    | different rras servers just to make sure.

    Have you done anything about the usual RAS addressing problem described
    in the last point of my discussion? If not, try "no peer neighbor-route"
    on the dialer interface.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, Sep 27, 2008

  3. Marco Rizzi Guest

    On Sep 26, 1:24 pm, wrote:

    Hi, i made a very similar configuration using the great Dan Lanciani's
    2006 post (thanks Dan!)...

    But I have some issues with ppp pfc compression, so i choose to
    completely disable it.
    Try to configure your dialer interface with

    ppp pfc local forbid
    ppp pfc remote reject

    you can find "my" complete configuration here:
    http://rizzitech.blogspot.com/2008/09/configuring-cisco-adsl-router-acting-as.html

    i hope this helps ;-)
    greetings from Italy

    Marco Rizzi

    Marco Rizzi, Sep 27, 2008
  4. Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <>, (Marco Rizzi) writes:
    | On Sep 26, 1:24=A0pm, wrote:
    |
    | Hi, i made a very similar configuration using the great Dan Lanciani's
    | 2006 post (thanks Dan!)...
    |
    | But I have some issues with ppp pfc compression, so i choose to
    | completely disable it.
    | Try to configure your dialer interface with
    |
    | ppp pfc local forbid
    | ppp pfc remote reject

    Recent IOS versions give alignment errors when compressing the protocol
    field over PPTP or L2TP (I assume because it moves everything by one
    byte) so this is a good idea.

    | you can find "my" complete configuration here:
    | http://rizzitech.blogspot.com/2008/09/configuring-cisco-adsl-router-acting-=
    | as.html

    A couple of things about the comments:

    -"service internal" isn't necessary to enable VPDNs in general but to
    allow a request-dialin group to be part of a rotary group or dialer pool.

    -"dialer idle-timeout" doesn't affect negotiation timeouts.

    -"dialer group" refers to the dialer-list number, not to the rotary.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, Sep 27, 2008