    Thanks in Advance
    Jim Williams
    Pennsylvania College of Technology

    Jim Williams, Dec 17, 2003

  2. On 17 Dec 2003 07:06:45 -0800, (Jim Williams) wrote:

    ~ I would like to use my 6509 Core routers as NTP servers on our
    ~ internal LAN.
    ~
    ~ Can I do this? Have my 6509s sync up to a Navy NTP server, then
    ~ distribute that time to my internal devices. I would like to do this
    ~ redundantly on both my 6509 core devices, then just list both of them
    ~ as NTP servers for the rest of my equipment.
    ~
    ~ Am I way off base on this? Or is this a feasible configuration?

    Sounds like a very reasonable setup.

    Example NTP Configuration for High Availability Catalyst 6000 Switch

    Looks very similar to your proposed setup.

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Jim Williams

    JC Guest

    I know that IOS has this available. You set the switch up to get updates
    from an ntp server then you specify it as the NTP master and point all your
    other devices to it. Unfortunately I can't find any corresponding
    functionality on 6500 CatOS which I assume you are running. If this is the
    case, it is pretty easy to setup some NTP server with old PC's and such.

    JC

    JC, Dec 18, 2003
  4. (Jim Williams) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I would like to use my 6509 Core routers as NTP servers on our
    > internal LAN.
    >
    > Can I do this? Have my 6509s sync up to a Navy NTP server, then
    > distribute that time to my internal devices. I would like to do this
    > redundantly on both my 6509 core devices, then just list both of them
    > as NTP servers for the rest of my equipment.
    >
    > Am I way off base on this? Or is this a feasible configuration?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    > Jim Williams
    > Pennsylvania College of Technology

    We use our 6509s as NTP servers. We sync the 6509s off another server
    elsewhere in our organisation and then simply point all our switches
    and routers at the 6509s address. Didn't even have to add any extra
    config statements to the 6509 MSFC config (it is running IOS (tm)
    MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-DS-M), Version 12.1(2)E, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1), so it is even quite an old release).

    I even run Symmtime on my PC against the 6509.

    The 6509 shows:-
    Clock is synchronized, stratum 5, reference is nnn.nnn.69.202
    and an example switch shows:-
    Clock is synchronized, stratum 6, reference is nnn.nnn.14.251

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Dec 18, 2003