Cisco Router 2610 and Catalyst 3500XL (3524)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by donniemoroetn, Mar 12, 2012.

  1. donniemoroetn

    donniemoroetn

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    I am new in configuring the Cisco routers and switches. I have a very basic question I am trying to do. First here is the basic configuration on my Router and Switch.

    Router: Cisco 2610 (1 E0/0, 1 T1 card)
    Switch: Cisco 3524 (24 Port Switch, 2 GIG Ethernet port)

    We have a T1 line setup and configure to access the ATT internet using the E0/0 on Router. I can plug a PC into the Ethernet0/0 port on the Router and configure the Nic Card on the PC to access the internet purely as a test. Done.

    We have acquire a Cisco 3524 (3500XL) Switch from a friend of ours. (All configurations has been dump and recreated) There is one VLAN1 already created on the switch and I want to (for now) use ALL the switch to access the VLAN1. (To get access to the internet)

    I have figured out some of the commands I will need to set each of the Fast Ethernet port to use the VLAN1.

    Here is the question? How can I get all the switch to access the Router for internet access?

    Currently I have connect the Cisco Router E0/0 to the Cisco Switch FastEthernet 0/1. I want FastEthernet 0/1 to be the access to the internet for All remaining Switches 2-24.

    I know on the VLAN (Cisco Switch) I can setup the information (DNS, Name Server, Etc) Does the VLAN1 Ip address needs to be the same as the Cisco Router E0/0?

    If I am leaving out any important variables or information, please let me know?

    Here is the basic configuration

    Cisco Router e/0 ip address: 12.204.8.81 I want all the Cisco Switch 2-24 to assign an 192.168.1.x from the VLan.
    donniemoroetn, Mar 12, 2012

  2. donniemoroetn

    CiscoDude1760

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Georgetown, OH, USA
    Hi there,

    Ok first off, if the switch has been reset to factory defaults then you don't need to do anything with the VLAN's. All of the ports are already set to the administrative VLAN 1.

    Now for your question, to connect the router to the switch all you have to do is just connect the router with a straight cable to one of the switch ports. What I usually do is connect the router to port fa0/23 or fa0/24 on the switch.

    I then go into the switch and set the following:

    switch>en
    switch#>conf t
    switch(config)>int fa0/23
    switch(config-if)speed 100
    switch(config-if)duplex full

    Then go to the router and set the ethernet port as follows:

    router>en
    router#>conf t
    router(config)int eth0/0
    router(config-if)speed 100
    router(config-if)duplex full
    router(config-if)no shut

    The VLAN1 ip address can be any ip address for the subnet you are using. It's for remote administration, e.g. telnet, http, ssh. I would not set it to the same ip address that you are using for your router as that will cause problems on you network.

    One more thing, if you have set up vlan's, make sure that the switch port your router is connected to is set to the same vlan as all of the other ports you wish to access the internet with.

    I will be glad to answer any other questions that I can for you.
    Good luck and happy networking
    CiscoDude1760, Mar 22, 2012