Cisco Rollover Cable...

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dave, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi guys,

    I need some help... I need to make a rollover cable and am just
    wondering if I can use straight forward CAT5 Cable instead of the
    baby blue flat ribbon cable usually used as long as I use the proper
    pinouts? which I believe to be the following if my memory serves me
    correctly:

    RJ-45-to-RJ-45 Rollover Cable RJ-45-to-DB-9 Terminal Adapter
    RJ-45 Pin RJ-45 Pin DB-9 Pin
    1 8 8
    2 7 6
    3 6 2
    4 5 5
    5 4 5
    6 3 3
    7 2 4
    8 1 7

    Is it possible to use normal CAT5 cable but with me crimping the
    connectors with this pinout formation instead of using the flat blue
    cable usually used?

    Hope to hear from you all soon...

    Dave.
    Dave, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Dave

    PES Guest

    Yes, you can reverse the wires on each end and use cat 5 cable, no problem
    1<>8, 2<>7, 3<>6, 4<>5, 5<>4, 6<>3, 7<>2, 8<>1.

    PES, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Dave

    Rik Bain Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:27:27 -0600, Dave wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I need some help... I need to make a rollover cable and am just
    > wondering if I can use straight forward CAT5 Cable instead of the baby
    > blue flat ribbon cable usually used as long as I use the proper pinouts?
    > which I believe to be the following if my memory serves me correctly:
    >
    > RJ-45-to-RJ-45 Rollover Cable RJ-45-to-DB-9 Terminal Adapter RJ-45 Pin
    > RJ-45 Pin DB-9 Pin 1 8 8
    > 2 7 6
    > 3 6 2
    > 4 5 5
    > 5 4 5
    > 6 3 3
    > 7 2 4
    > 8 1 7
    >
    > Is it possible to use normal CAT5 cable but with me crimping the
    > connectors with this pinout formation instead of using the flat blue
    > cable usually used?
    >
    > Hope to hear from you all soon...
    >
    > Dave.

    sure, or if you are in a bind, and can find a RJ-11 telephone cable, it
    should work fine as well IIRC.
    Rik Bain, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Dave

    Guest

    On 28 Nov 2003 14:27:27 -0800, (Dave)
    wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I need some help... I need to make a rollover cable and am just
    >wondering if I can use straight forward CAT5 Cable instead of the
    >baby blue flat ribbon cable usually used as long as I use the proper
    >pinouts? which I believe to be the following if my memory serves me
    >correctly:
    >
    >RJ-45-to-RJ-45 Rollover Cable RJ-45-to-DB-9 Terminal Adapter
    >RJ-45 Pin RJ-45 Pin DB-9 Pin
    >1 8 8
    >2 7 6
    >3 6 2
    >4 5 5
    >5 4 5
    >6 3 3
    >7 2 4
    >8 1 7
    >
    >Is it possible to use normal CAT5 cable but with me crimping the
    >connectors with this pinout formation instead of using the flat blue
    >cable usually used?

    Yes you can. Personally, I modified the RJ45->DB9 connector by
    reversing the pins. That way, I can use a standard network cable.

    In my laptop case, I carry this modified adapter, two regular ones, a
    DB9 gender changer, and a normal cat5 cable. From all of this I can
    connect to a Cisco router, a DB9 serial port with a straight cable,
    or a DB9 serial port requiring a crossover (rolling the pins over
    effectively results in a null modem cable).
    , Nov 29, 2003
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 28 Nov 2003 14:27:27 -0800, (Dave)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi guys,
    > >
    > >I need some help... I need to make a rollover cable and am just
    > >wondering if I can use straight forward CAT5 Cable instead of the
    > >baby blue flat ribbon cable usually used as long as I use the proper
    > >pinouts? which I believe to be the following if my memory serves me
    > >correctly:
    > >
    > >RJ-45-to-RJ-45 Rollover Cable RJ-45-to-DB-9 Terminal Adapter
    > >RJ-45 Pin RJ-45 Pin DB-9 Pin
    > >1 8 8
    > >2 7 6
    > >3 6 2
    > >4 5 5
    > >5 4 5
    > >6 3 3
    > >7 2 4
    > >8 1 7
    > >
    > >Is it possible to use normal CAT5 cable but with me crimping the
    > >connectors with this pinout formation instead of using the flat blue
    > >cable usually used?

    > Yes you can. Personally, I modified the RJ45->DB9 connector by
    > reversing the pins. That way, I can use a standard network cable.
    >
    > In my laptop case, I carry this modified adapter, two regular ones, a
    > DB9 gender changer, and a normal cat5 cable. From all of this I can
    > connect to a Cisco router, a DB9 serial port with a straight cable,
    > or a DB9 serial port requiring a crossover (rolling the pins over
    > effectively results in a null modem cable).

    Thanks a lot for that guys!

    Cheers

    Dave.
    Dave, Nov 29, 2003