Cisco reverse Telnet problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by A. Andrews, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. A. Andrews

    A. Andrews Guest

    Hello.

    We had a test lab set up with three 2621XM routers off of two of the
    routers are ASEtesters connected via serial to nm-16a.

    This is to simulate a RTU (remote terminal Unit) in the field (slave)
    and the master RTU. The three routers are connected in a triangle
    (mesh) with serial to serial configured at (as) a T1.

    Router B
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    master---------Router A................Router C--------SlaveASE (RTU)
    ASE (RTU)

    What happens is that the master RTU polls the slave RTU. a reverse
    telnet connection between Router C and Router A is established and the
    data is sent. However a problem arises,,, if during the exchange we
    break the connection between Router A and Router C, Router A doesnt
    continue to get the information.

    Router B
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    master---------Router A.. open ....Router C--------SlaveASE (RTU)
    ASE (RTU)

    What we think is happening is that when the reverse telnet session is
    opened it is going to the IP on Router A serial interface and it is
    working fine. However when the connection between Router A and Router
    C is broken it reroutes to Router B but still has the destination of
    Router A serial interface (the one looking at C) as its destination
    and the sessions won't continue.

    We want to have the session open to Router As loopback IP, that way we
    feel that when the connection between A&C is broken the loopback IP on
    A will sill be up.

    How do I do this? Or does anyone have any other ideas? We will also
    look into using UDP instead of TCP and hence UDPTN.

    Thanks
    Alan Andrews
    A. Andrews, Jan 15, 2004

  2. 1. Configure a loopback0 interface on all 3 routers.
    2. Be sure that you have configured routing such that,
    if any one of A,B,C is down, the remaining 2 routers
    will each still have reachability to the other's loopback0
    3. When establishing a TCP connect between any of A,B,C,
    always use the syntax

    telnet w.x.y.z <port> [/stream] /source-interface loopback 0

    async tunneling advice:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/700/14.shtml

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Hello.
    ~
    ~ We had a test lab set up with three 2621XM routers off of two of the
    ~ routers are ASEtesters connected via serial to nm-16a.
    ~
    ~ This is to simulate a RTU (remote terminal Unit) in the field (slave)
    ~ and the master RTU. The three routers are connected in a triangle
    ~ (mesh) with serial to serial configured at (as) a T1.
    ~
    ~
    ~ Router B
    ~ . .
    ~ . .
    ~ . .
    ~ . .
    Aaron Leonard, Jan 15, 2004

  3. A. Andrews

    A. Andrews Guest

    Aaron

    Great, Ill give it a try.
    I didnt think of "/source-interface loopback 0
    "

    May just do it.

    Also, the master polls the slave and them the connection fails, what
    can I do to have the reverse telnet session terminate. I am thinking
    that the network reconverges and if a new session were to be initiated
    it would use the new path. The origional sessions isnt ending.

    A. Andrews, Jan 20, 2004
  4. On 20 Jan 2004 04:44:35 -0800, (A. Andrews) wrote:

    ~ Aaron
    ~
    ~ Great, Ill give it a try.
    ~ I didnt think of "/source-interface loopback 0
    ~ "
    ~
    ~ May just do it.
    ~
    ~ Also, the master polls the slave and them the connection fails, what
    ~ can I do to have the reverse telnet session terminate.

    Turn on TCP keepalives on all sides.

    Aaron

    -----

    ~ I am thinking
    ~ that the network reconverges and if a new session were to be initiated
    ~ it would use the new path. The origional sessions isnt ending.
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~ Aaron Leonard <> wrote in message news:<>...
    ~ > 1. Configure a loopback0 interface on all 3 routers.
    ~ > 2. Be sure that you have configured routing such that,
    ~ > if any one of A,B,C is down, the remaining 2 routers
    ~ > will each still have reachability to the other's loopback0
    ~ > 3. When establishing a TCP connect between any of A,B,C,
    ~ > always use the syntax
    ~ >
    ~ > telnet w.x.y.z <port> [/stream] /source-interface loopback 0
    ~ >
    ~ > async tunneling advice:
    ~ >
    ~ > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/700/14.shtml
    ~ >
    ~ > Aaron
    ~ >
    ~ > ---
    ~ >
    ~ > ~ Hello.
    ~ > ~
    ~ > ~ We had a test lab set up with three 2621XM routers off of two of the
    ~ > ~ routers are ASEtesters connected via serial to nm-16a.
    ~ > ~
    ~ > ~ This is to simulate a RTU (remote terminal Unit) in the field (slave)
    ~ > ~ and the master RTU. The three routers are connected in a triangle
    ~ > ~ (mesh) with serial to serial configured at (as) a T1.
    ~ > ~
    ~ > ~
    ~ > ~ Router B
    ~ > ~ . .
    ~ > ~ . .
    ~ > ~ . .
    ~ > ~ . .
    Aaron Leonard, Jan 20, 2004
  5. A. Andrews

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Aaron
    >
    > Great, Ill give it a try.
    > I didnt think of "/source-interface loopback 0
    > "
    >
    > May just do it.
    >
    > Also, the master polls the slave and them the connection fails, what
    > can I do to have the reverse telnet session terminate. I am thinking
    > that the network reconverges and if a new session were to be initiated
    > it would use the new path. The origional sessions isnt ending.

    service tcp-keepalives

    Or something like that....to turn on tcp keepalives.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 21, 2004