Cisco "radius server local" work with wired lan?

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by ejdarling, May 3, 2008.

  1. ejdarling

    ejdarling

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Fort Worth
    In the course of my Cisco studies, I found the "local radius-server" feature in the AdvancedEnterprise IOS on a 2800 router and on my 871 wireless router. Research indicates it is there for times when your wireless access point can't contact the "real" access server, and this local server can authenticate users. In a quixotic quest for honor and prestige I am trying to make it the authentication server for a group of 2800 routers in the lab. It seems to almost work, answering radius requests from the clients, etc, but my authentication always fails on the client routers where I'm trying to login. I know the user/password is correct.
    Does anyone know that this for sure can/cannot be made to work this way?
    It may have something to do with the authentication being restricted to LEAP or EAP or something that Cisco routers don't ordinarily speak. -??-

    On the server router:
    AAA new-model
    radius-server local
    ...nas (client IP) key 0 (SHAREKEY)
    ...user (USERNAME) password 0 (USERPASSWORD)
    end

    On the client routers:
    AAA new-model
    radius-server host (server IP) auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 key (SHAREKEY)
    aaa authentication login default group radius none
    end

    Thanks for any help & advice! -Eric
    Last edited: May 3, 2008
    ejdarling, May 3, 2008