Cisco PPTP VPN - default gateway (sharing local and VPN resources)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jim Willsher, May 5, 2006.

  1. Jim Willsher

    Jim Willsher Guest

    Hi,

    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find a solution.

    Cisco 837, with pptp enabled so that I can access my local LAN from
    the internet.

    When i connect to the local LAN, I cannot access local resources AND
    surf the itnernet at the same time.

    The only way I can do this is to untick the "use default gateway"
    option on the Windows PPTP connection, and then manually add a route
    using:

    route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 <VPN ip address>

    Is there any way within the IOS config to configure this setup?

    Many thanks,

    Jim

    Jim Willsher, May 5, 2006

  2. Jim Willsher

    Jim Willsher Guest

    Hi all,

    Serry, I've rephrased my question.

    Cisco 837, being used as a pptp VPN. The router is 192.168.1.1, the
    LAN is 192.168.1.0/24.

    When I connect to the VPN using a standard Windows VPN connection, I
    cannot access resouces on the VPN subnet AND surf the internet at the
    same time.

    The only way I can do this is to untick the "use default gateway"
    option on the Windows PPTP connection, and then manually add a route
    using:

    route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 <VPN ip address>

    Is there any way within the IOS config to configure this setup?

    With the box "use default gateway" ticked I can access the VPN subnet
    resources but can't resolve DNS. With the box unticked I can resolve
    DNS but can't access VPN resources (e.g. 192.168.1.150) unless I use
    the ROUTE ADD command.

    Many thanks,

    Jim

    Jim Willsher, May 5, 2006