Cisco PIX 506E with high collisions

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Joe_Cool97, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. Joe_Cool97

    Joe_Cool97 Guest

    I was hoping someone could help me with a problem on my Pix. I am
    getting high collisions on my inside and outside interfaces. The ISP
    is also seeing collisions. The interfaces are set to auto but drop to
    10 half duplex. Does anyone have any ideas on where I should start?
    Here is a sh int (I recently rebooted so the collisions are low, they
    have gotten into the thousands before):

    interface ethernet0 "outside" is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is i82559 ethernet, address is 0007.50b6.feef
    IP address x.x.x.x, subnet mask 255.255.255.248
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit half duplex
    2650 packets input, 762022 bytes, 0 no buffer
    Received 19 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    2319 packets output, 560824 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collisions, 24 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
    input queue (curr/max blocks): hardware (128/128) software
    (0/2)
    output queue (curr/max blocks): hardware (0/4) software (0/1)
    interface ethernet1 "inside" is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is i82559 ethernet, address is 0007.50b6.fef1
    IP address y.y.y.y, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit half duplex
    3050 packets input, 534606 bytes, 0 no buffer
    Received 658 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    2659 packets output, 654704 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collisions, 16 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
    input queue (curr/max blocks): hardware (128/128) software
    (0/4)
    output queue (curr/max blocks): hardware (0/2) software (0/1)

    When the collisions get high the ISP connection drops. Sometimes it
    comes back on its own.

    Anyhelp would be appreciated.
    Joe

    Joe_Cool97, Jun 30, 2006

  2. Joe_Cool97

    Guest

    Joe_Cool97 wrote:
    > I was hoping someone could help me with a problem on my Pix. I am
    > getting high collisions on my inside and outside interfaces. The ISP
    > is also seeing collisions. The interfaces are set to auto but drop to
    > 10 half duplex. Does anyone have any ideas on where I should start?

    Don't start.
    Collisions are part of Ethernet. Search for threads on
    comp.dcom.lans.ethernet containing collisions and Seifert
    for a lot more discussion or read Mr Seifert's book.
    "The Switch Book: The Complete Guide to LAN Switching
    Technology (Hardcover)"

    > interface ethernet0 "outside" is up, line protocol is up
    > 2650 packets input, 762022 bytes, 0 no buffer
    > 2319 packets output, 560824 bytes, 0 underruns
    > 0 output errors, 1 collisions, 0 interface resets

    > interface ethernet1 "inside" is up, line protocol is up
    > 3050 packets input, 534606 bytes, 0 no buffer
    > 2659 packets output, 654704 bytes, 0 underruns
    > 0 output errors, 7 collisions, 0 interface resets

    So many people now have the mistaken belief that collisions
    are something bad that even Cisco have MISTAKENLY
    counted them as errors on some equipment.

    cat4000-i5s-mz.122-20.EW.bin
    FastEthernet5/10 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
    1094653 packets input, 201938161 bytes, 0 no buffer
    Received 44378 broadcasts (0 multicast)
    0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    56834290 packets output, 4744161523 bytes, 0 underruns
    Collisions INCORRECTLY counted as errors.

    0 babbles, 169 late collision, 0 deferred

    switch>sh int fa 5/10 count err

    Port CrcAlign-Err Dropped-Bad-Pkts Collisions Symbol-Err
    Fa5/10 0 0 2 0

    Port Undersize Oversize Fragments Jabbers
    Fa5/10 0 0 0 0

    Port Single-Col Multi-Col Late-Col Excess-Col
    Fa5/10 6555 1253 169 0

    Port Deferred-Col False-Car Carri-Sen Sequence-Err
    Fa5/10 0 0 0 0

    In this example there is or has been a duplex mismatch
    since I have got Late-Collisions.

    > When the collisions get high the ISP connection drops. Sometimes it
    > comes back on its own.

    This is NOTHING to do with collisions.

    Use the traffic counters to figure out if the link is busy
    or not.

    What you don't want are:-
    Late-Collisions - nowadays usually indcative of a duplex mismatch
    Excessive-Collisions - indicative of overloaded network
    - eliminate Late colls first if any then
    re-visit
    CRC errors - bad link. - maybe can happen in HD - forget.
    - maybe if crc = runts it is ok,

    "Excessive-collisions" are a different type of collision and
    are not just too many ordinary collisions.

    Either record the traffic with snmp getif.exe is a very simple
    way to get started for free or you can change the
    load-interval on the interface to 30 seconds if you
    don't want to do that.

    , Jun 30, 2006