    Would a 506 be fine to use as protection for the webserver farm ?

    Thanks

    Eric
    Eric Elliston, May 6, 2005

  2. In article <6PIee.2639$>,
    Eric Elliston <> wrote:
    :I have a client whos websites get about 5000 - 6000 unique sessions/day.

    :Would a 506 be fine to use as protection for the webserver farm ?

    5000-6000 sessions per day is not very much, not unless each
    session involves a lot of files. If you are not doing VPNs, then
    even a 501 would handle that volume with little difficulty, and
    the 501 is rated to 60 megabits per second of clear-text.

    You should define, though, what kind of protections you want.
    The PIX line does not, for example, have an integrated virus
    checker.

    Personally I wouldn't bother with a 506, not unless I wandered
    across a refurb one at a great price. Low volumes / low host counts
    can be handled by a 501; after that you might as well go directly
    to the 506E. If you need the many of the new features of PIX 7.0
    or do not want to wait for it to be eventually down-ported to
    the 501/506/506E, then go for a 515E.
    --
    "This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure, rich living and
    hard dying... but nobody thought so." -- Alfred Bester, TSMD
    Walter Roberson, May 6, 2005