    maintained after the upgrade.

    Thanks in advance,
    Benmark.

    benchmark, Dec 18, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    benchmark <> wrote:
    > I have recently purchased the above-mentioned Cisco PIX
    >Firewall on Ebay, upgraded the Cisco PIX 501 Firewall OS to version
    >6.3(4) and the PIX Device Manager(PDM) to version 3.02. The firewall is
    >working very nicely without a hitch. My question is after upgrading the
    >Cisco PIX OS to a newer version and the PDM to a newer version, do I
    >need to upgrade the activation keys on the device?

    No -- but you do need to "relicense" the device by purchasing
    Cisco part LL-PIX-501-SW-10=. Price is about $US190 to find one
    in stock; as low as $US150 if you peck around a little and are willing
    to back-order.

    The PIX software license is seldom transferable, so while you bought
    the chassis, you very likely did not get the legal right to use the
    device, and especially not to upgrade the software.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 18, 2006

  3. benchmark

    benchmark Guest

    benchmark, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Hi Benmark,

    Adding to Walter's information:

    All end customers who relicense software from Cisco for their used /
    grey market units ( i.e. eBay ) will be required to register the serial
    numbers for those units online.

    Customers will not receive Digital License Agreement ( DLA ) numbers
    from Cisco until they register their units online with a valid serial
    number.

    Cisco is taking an active role in curtailing the unauthorized use of
    grey market / used equipment without correct relicense agreements in
    place and rewarding customers for purchasing legitimate software
    relicenses for their units.

    The following table lists all the Cisco embedded software relicense
    part numbers available for sale and their software relicense
    descriptions:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embedded-software-licenses.htm

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese