    stream go through? It doesn;t try to load balance across them does
    it? What makes it decide which link to go down?
    TIA - R

    R Siffredi, Nov 21, 2003

  2. R Siffredi

    CCIE8122 Guest

    > If I have 10 equal cost paths for a router, which one will a voice
    > stream go through? It doesn;t try to load balance across them does
    > it? What makes it decide which link to go down?
    > TIA - R

    Depends upon the routing protocol, as to how many paths traffic may be
    balanced across.

    As far as per packet, by default, all traffic in a given flow will only
    use one path.

    To alter this, you have to do cef per packet load sharing.

    kr

    CCIE8122, Nov 21, 2003

  3. R Siffredi

    CCIE8122 Guest

    >> If I have 10 equal cost paths for a router, which one will a voice
    >> stream go through? It doesn;t try to load balance across them does
    >> it? What makes it decide which link to go down?
    >> TIA - R

    > Depends upon the routing protocol, as to how many paths traffic may be
    > balanced across.
    >
    > As far as per packet, by default, all traffic in a given flow will only
    > use one path.
    >
    > To alter this, you have to do cef per packet load sharing.
    >
    > kr

    IIRC, OSPF will use up to 4 equal cost paths.

    If a link (interface) transitions to down, this path is immediately
    removed from the route table. Otherwise, if a reconvergence cause a
    path not to be equal cost, it will be dropped from the table after
    reconvergence.

    If you are doing OSPF over a medium that does not transition a link
    (like a tunnel or something), then the OSPF would expire the route after
    not receiving a specified number of HELLOs.

    kr

    CCIE8122, Nov 21, 2003