    the full list, or failing that an estimate of whether much Cisco
    equipment is made in the US.

    Thanks

    Me, Feb 15, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Me <> wrote:
    :My understanding is that Cisco has about 32 factories making their
    :equipment, 2 of which they own and the rest are factories they
    :eek:utsource to.

    :A couple of questions:
    :1) Does anyone know where all these factories are?

    I'm wondering if you are asking the right question?

    If Cisco contracts for DB9 cable shells from a factory in Timbukto, and
    RJ45 connectors from a factory in Wawa, and Cat5 cable from a factory
    in Flin Flon, and has all these parts shipped to a factory in
    Wala Wala for assembly into console serial cables, then that is 4
    factories outsourced to.

    If Cisco buys one chip from one factory, a second chip from a
    different one, memory from a third, capacitors from a fourth,
    power supplies from a fifth... the factories outsourced to add up
    pretty quickly.

    :I am aware of Mexico and a couple of others, and was hoping to find
    :the full list, or failing that an estimate of whether much Cisco
    :equipment is made in the US.

    But in these days of international trade in electronic parts, what
    does it mean for equipment to be "made" in a particular place?

    Cisco often uses serial-number prefixes to indicate the manufacturering
    location. Prefixes I have been able to find include:

    CAT - common prefix for Catalyst switches.
    CHK - alternative prefix for Catalyst switches. Speculation: Hong Kong?
    FAA - Flextronics, San Jose CA USA
    FAB - speculation: second flextronics location?
    JAB
    JAC
    JEU - speculation: europe?
    JMX - speculation: mexico?
    SAG
    SMA
    VDF

    One of the manufacturering locations is in the Czech Republic
    http://www.cisco.com/commarch/html/src-tool/czech-facility.html

    Distribution (but not manufactuering) sites are listed at
    http://www.cisco.com/commarch/html/src-tool/qa.html
    --
    Oh, to be a Blobel!

    Walter Roberson, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Me

    Richard Guest

    Very interesting info...thanks.

    My "manufactured in" I mean in which company does the device gain its
    biggest value - this will often be the place of the main and final
    assembly of the device. . For example all the chips might be from all
    over the place but they are assembled into a router chassis and tested
    etc ready for shipping in San Jose, so San Jose would be considered
    the place where it is "manufactured".

    I am particularly interested in cards, routers, switches.

    The serial number prefix is very useful...thanks!

    Richard, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Me

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Feb 16, 2005