    based router runing the LVS (Linux Virtual Server) software.

    Thanks in advance,
    Doug

    Doug Farrell, Sep 10, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Doug Farrell <> wrote:
    :Can anyone answer something for me? Is the Cisco IOS actually a
    :variant of Linux, or is it a truly independant, proprietary system?

    My understanding is that IOS has been implimented with several
    different operating systems and different hardware architectures.
    I believe someone told me it has been implimented with several
    different programming languages too -- but I might be getting
    that aspect confused with the PIX line.

    It is NOT [at least in general] a Linux variant -- the software
    that was eventually renamed IOS long predates Linux.

    :I'm asking in relation to the Cisco Load Balancing routers in
    :particular. They seem to offer many of the features/functions of Linux
    :based router runing the LVS (Linux Virtual Server) software.

    If they were using Linux, then they would have to provide source
    code for the everything except some of the device drivers.

    IOS is not really a unified product. I have never seen it myself, but
    I gather that "IOS" as such is closer to a programming library that
    can be called upon to save having to re-write code, but that sections
    can also be overridden or re-implimented if that seems to make sense at
    the time.
    --
    100% of all human deaths occur within 100 miles of Earth.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Doug,

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:33:10 -0700, Doug Farrell wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone answer something for me? Is the Cisco IOS actually a
    > variant of Linux, or is it a truly independant, proprietary system?
    > I'm asking in relation to the Cisco Load Balancing routers in
    > particular. They seem to offer many of the features/functions of Linux
    > based router runing the LVS (Linux Virtual Server) software.

    I assume when you are talking about the "Cisco Load Balancing routers" you
    mean the CSS devices and CSS modules for the Cat 6k in particular.

    These devices are not derived by Linux. They are derived by an aquisition
    of the former company "ArrowPoint" which has been one of the loadbalancing
    market leaders years ago. And, as far as I remember, the development of
    LVS started after companies as ArrowPoint appeared on the market.

    Nevertheless you find a general set of features on all loadnbalancing
    devices, espacially the load sharing algorithms like round-robin or some
    mixes with particular weights. These are some standard algorithms most of
    the people would expect to be ready to use on such devices.

    best regards,

    Klaus

    Klaus Thielking-Riechert, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Doug Farrell

    Doug Farrell Guest

    Thanks for your replies, they both clarify things for me. I'm asking
    as I've been asked to set up a load balancing server for some of our
    products and I first considered Linux and the LVS project. My network
    people however, have been pushing me very hard to use a Cicso load
    balancing solutino, which is very expensive (at least I think so). In
    looking at both solutions it appeared to me they both offer very much
    the same features, and I got to wondering if the underlying OS of the
    Cisco router was Linux with some customizations. It would make sense
    to do so rather than re-invent the wheel.

    Do you know if there is a distinct advantage to using the Cisco
    solution over a Linux/LVS based one?

    Thanks,
    Doug

    Doug Farrell, Sep 16, 2004