Cisco LEAP on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Forrest Scott Brinkley, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. Hello:

    Since Windows Vista has no native ability to use the Cisco LEAP
    protocol, which my school requires for access to its campus-wide WiFi
    network, I was forced to turn to third-party software, as I did while
    running Windows XP Professional, SP2. I use a Cisco AiroNet 350 series
    PCMCIA card for access. Since I have a ThinkPad T23, I loaded IBM’s
    AccessConnections package, which supports LEAP, and the Cisco AiroNet
    Client Utility.

    Neither of these packages worked under Vista! AccessConnections was able
    to load and operate, but had no apparent affect on the wireless
    connection and could not “power on” the wireless radio. The AiroNet
    client utility worked only in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME and
    even then brought up a message proclaiming that “No client adapters were
    found.”

    With that, there was no way I could connect to my campus’s network. This
    would be a BIG post-platform migration problem for any of the thousands
    of UA students who are using Cisco’s AiroNet 350 Series PC Cards to
    access the internet while on campus.

    The card DOES connect to open, non-secure wireless networks.

    Our campus network is made of the following:

    580 Cisco Model 350s

    400+ Cisco 1200 Series APs upgraded to wireless B/G

    Forrest Scott Brinkley, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Answer posted to alt.internet.wireless.

    Usenet hint: if crossposting to multiple groups, list all the groups
    in the Newsgroups: header and post only once.

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Hello:
    ~