Cisco Lab & Free Cisco Software

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Guest, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Folks:

    Recently I bought a used CCIE CISCO lab from EBAY. To save money I did NOT
    buy NEW routers directly from CISCO.
    My plan now is to start the CISCO certification process by preparing for
    both CCDA and CCNA. Next, I intend to move
    up to CCNP & CCIE. Here are a few questions:

    * Does this purchase entitle me to MORE CISCO resources than what
    is available with a Guest login ?

    * What CISCO login category is available to me as a result of my
    EBAY purchase of used equipment ?

    * Am I entitled to IOS updates ? If so, where are these
    available ?

    I am always on the lookout for (FREE) CISCO software. But the CISCO web
    site is so very huge that I might be missing
    some freely available software. So far I am aware of ConfigMaker.

    * I would appreciate any help to locate other FREE Cisco software
    for Cisco routers, switches, etc

    Thanks,
    John.
    Guest, Feb 11, 2006

  2. Guest

    jcottingim Guest

    Unfortunately, you're purchase of "used CCIE Cisco lab" on eBay does
    NOT entitle you to any higher level of access to Cisco's web site.

    You are NOT entitled to any IOS updates from Cisco.

    ....don't shoot the messenger.
    jcottingim, Feb 11, 2006

  3. > Recently I bought a used CCIE CISCO lab from EBAY.

    Who is not an authorized Cisco reseller.

    > To save money I did NOT buy NEW routers directly from CISCO.

    And thereby did not get any Cisco benefits.

    > * Does this purchase entitle me to MORE CISCO resources than
    > what is available with a Guest login ?

    Nope. Not unless you buy a service contract on the devices.

    > * What CISCO login category is available to me as a result of my
    > EBAY purchase of used equipment ?

    Guest.

    > * Am I entitled to IOS updates ?

    No.

    > I am always on the lookout for (FREE) CISCO software.

    No free Cisco software, with one exception. When a security vulnerability
    is announced, you can request a software update for that fix. See
    www.cisco.com/go/psirt.

    > So far I am aware of ConfigMaker.

    Run screaming from that.
    Phillip Remaker, Feb 11, 2006
  4. In article <TQoHf.11929$>,
    Phillip Remaker <> wrote:
    >> Recently I bought a used CCIE CISCO lab from EBAY.

    >> I am always on the lookout for (FREE) CISCO software.

    >No free Cisco software, with one exception. When a security vulnerability
    >is announced, you can request a software update for that fix.

    However, if you are not the registered owner of the device
    and you have to go through the TAC to get the update (because
    the VAR you did not use cannot supply the software to you), then
    the TAC will refuse the upgrade unless you "relicense" the device.

    So, unless you "relicense" you don't even get IOS security updates.

    The only exception is that for *some* catalyst switches, software
    updates are free and do not require CCO registration.
    Walter Roberson, Feb 11, 2006