Cisco IPSec VPN connected with a second device and now can't log on at all

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mikemiller, Sep 17, 2011.

1. mikemiller

mikemiller

Hello! New member here. I appreciate all of your expertise in advance.

I use the Cisco IPSec VPN to connect to my company's VPN. My work computer (A MacBook Pro) came set up with the VPN.

I set up the VPN information on my iPhone and was able to connect to my work VPN. After a couple minutes of using the VPN and our Citrix client, I logged off the VPN. (This was just a test to see if it work work).

Once I disconnected the VPN from my iPhone, I tried to connect it back on my MacBook Pro, unsuccessfully. I now get the error, "The negotiation with the VPN server failed. Verify the server address and try reconnecting".

I verified the server address. I didn't even change any of the information on my computer.

In fact, I can't connect to the VPN on either my iPhone OR my computer.

So, the question I have is: Can the administrator tell if I logged on to the VPN using the same account but on a different device? Probably, using the MAC address. What I really want to know is whether or not the administrator can tell specifically what device is trying to access the VPN Network, whether it be a MacBook Pro, iPhone, Windows Machine, Android, Tablet, etc?

Do you think that by logging on with two different devices, I got red flagged or something? Is this something the administrator would have to do manually? Or would it happen automatically without the administrator knowing unless they specifically looked it up?

I'm just worried I'll get in trouble at work by logging in to the VPN with my iPhone. I guess I can play dumb and say, I was just trying to do some extra work when I didn't have access to my computer. But that would bring up the issue of "Where did you get the VPN login info if you didn't have your computer with you?" I guess I could just say that it was all visible and I just entered it in my phone in case I needed to use it in an emergency.

I just don't want to get in trouble at work, that's all. I'm friends with a couple of the administrators. Maybe I can have a little chat with them.

So, to summarize: How much information does the administrator know about what I used to log into the VPN with?

Thanks!

Mike Miller

mikemiller, Sep 17, 2011
    1. Advertising