    unless it's necessary) Plenty of spare late night time to play...
    --
    Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Clint Sharp <> wrote in <>:
    > Something silly, I've just bought a Cisco IP phone off Ebay (hey it was
    > very cheap) and am now wondering what I need to use it, I've seen the
    > Asterisk setup pages but wonder if I really need another machine? Is it
    > possible to just use it connected directly to a router for making
    > Internet only calls (no dial out to POTS and no geographic number needed
    > unless it's necessary) Plenty of spare late night time to play...

    Cisco phones come in two types of firmware: CCP (or CCCP, I forgot)
    which is known as skinny in Asterisk and SIP.

    With SIP you can make it use a voipserver like any SIP-based voip server.

    With (C)CCP you are limited to Cisco pbx or Asterisk (and Asterisk really
    prefers SIP anyway).

    You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account with
    telephony in the linked cisco contract(s). You will also need documentation
    from cisco on how to set it up in SIP.

    Koos van den Hout

    --
    Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
    Fax: +31-30-2817051 PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5

    Koos van den Hout, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Clint Sharp

    Chris Guest

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:25:27 +0000, Clint Sharp
    <> wrote:

    >Something silly, I've just bought a Cisco IP phone off Ebay (hey it was
    >very cheap) and am now wondering what I need to use it, I've seen the
    >Asterisk setup pages but wonder if I really need another machine? Is it
    >possible to just use it connected directly to a router for making
    >Internet only calls (no dial out to POTS and no geographic number needed
    >unless it's necessary) Plenty of spare late night time to play...

    you need to upgrade it to SIP then you should be able route calls via
    a VOIP provider Sipdiscount, Voipcheap etc

    Chris

    Chris, Dec 5, 2007
  4. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <fj5vkj$rhk$>, Koos van den Hout
    <4all.nl> writes
    >With SIP you can make it use a voipserver like any SIP-based voip server.

    Hmm, don't know what firmware it's got yet, I read a little about skinny
    and SIP so I knew about the firmware thing.

    >With (C)CCP you are limited to Cisco pbx or Asterisk (and Asterisk really
    >prefers SIP anyway).
    >
    >You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account with
    >telephony in the linked cisco contract(s). You will also need documentation
    >from cisco on how to set it up in SIP.

    I believe I can take out a contract on just the 'phone though?

    --
    Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp, Dec 5, 2007
  5. Clint Sharp

    TheMgt Guest

    Koos van den Hout wrote:
    > Clint Sharp <> wrote in <>:
    >> Something silly, I've just bought a Cisco IP phone off Ebay (hey it was
    >> very cheap) and am now wondering what I need to use it, I've seen the
    >> Asterisk setup pages but wonder if I really need another machine? Is it
    >> possible to just use it connected directly to a router for making
    >> Internet only calls (no dial out to POTS and no geographic number needed
    >> unless it's necessary) Plenty of spare late night time to play...

    > Cisco phones come in two types of firmware: CCP (or CCCP, I forgot)
    > which is known as skinny in Asterisk and SIP.
    >
    > With SIP you can make it use a voipserver like any SIP-based voip server.
    >
    > With (C)CCP you are limited to Cisco pbx or Asterisk (and Asterisk really
    > prefers SIP anyway).
    >
    > You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account with
    > telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

    Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable, assuming
    that's what you've bought.
    http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960

    TheMgt, Dec 5, 2007
  6. Clint Sharp

    Ron Lowe Guest

    >> You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account with
    >> telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

    > Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable, assuming
    > that's what you've bought.
    > http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960

    Later versions ( up to the current 8.8 ) are available for the asking.
    You just got to know who to ask :)

    Upgrading these phones can be tricky, and requires a degree of networking
    expertise. You need to be able to set up a TFTP server, and be able to
    point the phones to it. You also need to learn the syntax of the various
    files the phone uses, since you need to edit these to perform the update.

    Also, there can be issues depending on which version of SCCP is on the
    phone.
    Older versions may require an incremetal update before loading the most
    recent.

    It's not beyond the competence of most tecchy people, but there is a
    learning curve.

    There are people who will perform the upgrade for you FOC, if you ask nicely
    and pay the return postage.

    --
    Ron

    Ron Lowe, Dec 5, 2007
  7. Clint Sharp

    alexd Guest

    Clint Sharp wrote:

    > Is it
    > possible to just use it connected directly to a router for making
    > Internet only calls (no dial out to POTS and no geographic number needed
    > unless it's necessary) Plenty of spare late night time to play...

    I would have thought checking it can dial SIP addresses would be something
    you would do /before/ buying the handset, not after :)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:55:45 up 24 days, 10:35, 2 users, load average: 0.20, 0.25, 0.18

    alexd, Dec 5, 2007
  8. Clint Sharp

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <fj5vkj$rhk$>
    Koos van den Hout <4all.nl> wrote:

    > Cisco phones come in two types of firmware: CCP (or CCCP, I forgot)
    > which is known as skinny

    SCCP: Skinny Client Control Protocol.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Dec 5, 2007
  9. TheMgt <> wrote in <9xC5j.58298$>:
    > Koos van den Hout wrote:
    > > You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account with
    > > telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

    > Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable, assuming
    > that's what you've bought.
    > http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960

    Woah, cisco letting people access their software just like that. That is
    unexpected to me.

    I sit corrected!

    (now to find out from the original poster what exact model he bought)

    Koos

    --
    Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
    4all.nl or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5

    Koos van den Hout, Dec 6, 2007
  10. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <>, alexd <>
    writes
    >Clint Sharp wrote:
    >
    >> Is it
    >> possible to just use it connected directly to a router for making
    >> Internet only calls (no dial out to POTS and no geographic number needed
    >> unless it's necessary) Plenty of spare late night time to play...

    >I would have thought checking it can dial SIP addresses would be something
    >you would do /before/ buying the handset, not after :)

    LOL, of course, but it was a shade under 4UKP so I thought I'd take a
    chance on it.
    --
    Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp, Dec 6, 2007
  11. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <47570521$0$507$>, Ron Lowe
    <ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS@?.?.invalid> writes
    >Later versions ( up to the current 8.8 ) are available for the asking.
    >You just got to know who to ask :)

    Ahh... I see.

    >Upgrading these phones can be tricky, and requires a degree of
    >networking expertise. You need to be able to set up a TFTP server, and
    >be able to point the phones to it. You also need to learn the syntax
    >of the various files the phone uses, since you need to edit these to
    >perform the update.

    I can manage that, been networking stuff for a while now (since Netware
    2.15, damn I feel old)

    >Also, there can be issues depending on which version of SCCP is on the
    >phone.
    >Older versions may require an incremetal update before loading the most
    >recent.

    Hmm, I foresee some reading and research.

    Clint Sharp, Dec 6, 2007
  12. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <fj88pt$rhk$>, Koos van den Hout
    <4all.nl> writes
    >(now to find out from the original poster what exact model he bought)
    >
    > Koos

    I believe it's a 7902 but I'll know more when I collect it (Friday
    afternoon)
    --
    Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp, Dec 6, 2007
  13. Clint Sharp

    alexd Guest

    Clint Sharp wrote:

    > In message <>, alexd <>
    > writes

    >>I would have thought checking it can dial SIP addresses would be something
    >>you would do /before/ buying the handset, not after :)
    >>

    > LOL, of course, but it was a shade under 4UKP so I thought I'd take a
    > chance on it.

    Fair enough. I would have done the same in your position!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:26:26 up 25 days, 5 min, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.15, 0.15

    alexd, Dec 6, 2007
  14. Clint Sharp

    Earl Guest

    TheMgt;173358 Wrote:
    > Koos van den Hout wrote:
    > > Clint Sharp <> wrote in

    > <>:
    >
    > > You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account

    > with
    > > telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

    > Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable, assuming
    > that's what you've bought.
    > 'Software Download'
    > (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960)

    ::I tried the above link in order to download the SIP v8.2 firmware and
    I was unable to get past the name and password box. Is this still
    working? If not, or if someone has info on v8.8, please reply or email
    me with ZIP. Thanks in advance, Earl::

    View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=33809
    http://www.wirelessforums.org

    Earl, Jan 10, 2008
  15. Clint Sharp

    Earl Guest

    Ron Lowe;173385 Wrote:
    > >> You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account

    > with
    > >> telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

    > > Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable,

    > assuming
    > > that's what you've bought.
    > > 'Software Download'

    > (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960)
    >
    > Later versions ( up to the current 8.8 ) are .............
    > Ron

    Ron, would you please give me a private mail or an email at
    <remove>largedotfilesatgmxdotnet

    thanks, Earl

    Earl, Jan 10, 2008
  16. Clint Sharp

    TheMgt Guest

    Earl wrote:
    > TheMgt;173358 Wrote:
    >> Koos van den Hout wrote:
    >>> Clint Sharp <> wrote in

    >> <>:
    >>
    >>> You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account

    >> with
    >>> telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

    >> Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable, assuming
    >> that's what you've bought.
    >> 'Software Download'
    >> (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960)

    > ::I tried the above link in order to download the SIP v8.2 firmware and
    > I was unable to get past the name and password box.

    The username is 'anonymous' and the password is your email address.

    TheMgt, Jan 10, 2008
  17. Clint Sharp

    Earl Guest

    TheMgt;183680 Wrote:
    > Earl wrote:
    > > TheMgt;173358 Wrote:

    > >> with
    > >> Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable,

    > assuming
    > >> that's what you've bought.
    > >> 'Software Download'
    > >> ('Software Download'

    > (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960))
    > >
    > > ::I tried the above link in order to download the SIP v8.2 firmware

    > and
    > > I was unable to get past the name and password box.

    > The username is 'anonymous' and the password is your email address.

    Thanks for the reply, but using the above does not work for me; have
    tried it from several different public IP addresses and every time I am
    returned to the user name and password window.

    In the meantime, I have resolved the problem thanks to the kind help of
    a forum member.

    Regards, Earl

    Earl, Jan 11, 2008