    grateful for instructions.

    Thanks in anticipation

    Rob
    robustini, May 24, 2006

  2. Recently, robustini popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    |Hi All
    |
    |Apologies if this has been covered before.
    |

    |Can a Cisco IP phone (cp7912) work with skype. If so I would be very
    |grateful for instructions.
    |
    |Thanks in anticipation
    |
    |Rob

    Skype is NOT VoIP, is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other Instant Messengers
    with the "voice" feature.
    VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known and publicly
    recognized standards), Skype has a proprietary closed standard.
    Skype uses some sort of P2P structure, using slices of bandwidth of your
    connection - if you have a medium-cut broadband - to relay other
    people's calls.
    I won't touch it with a bargepole, huge risk of bandwidth clogging and
    security issues.
    No "real" VoIP hardware can work with Skype, as the protocol is not
    known. There is some hardware to be used connected to a PC through USB
    and with Skype running on the same PC.
    This defeats the scope of VoIP, to be a complete substitution to the old
    PSTN phone line.
    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ßødincµs²°°°, May 24, 2006

  3. robustini

    robustini Guest

    Thanks for the prompt reply. It was well explained.

    I suppose my question really is : Is there any way I can use a cisco
    7912 phone together with skype?
    The reason for this is I have plenty of cisco phones for sale and I
    get lots of potential customers asking "can I use this for skype" My
    current reply to them is : I dont know.

    thanks again
    Bob
    robustini, May 24, 2006
  4. robustini

    Chris Davies Guest

    robustini <> wrote:
    > I suppose my question really is : Is there any way I can use a cisco
    > 7912 phone together with skype?

    No. Like the OP wrote: Skype uses proprietary protocols; the Cisco 7912
    works to VoIP standards.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, May 24, 2006
  5. Recently, robustini popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...

    |Thanks for the prompt reply. It was well explained.
    |
    |I suppose my question really is : Is there any way I can use a cisco
    |7912 phone together with skype?
    | The reason for this is I have plenty of cisco phones for sale and I
    |get lots of potential customers asking "can I use this for skype" My
    |current reply to them is : I dont know.
    |
    |thanks again
    |Bob

    Your answer must be "No", Skype does not (and will not) release to the
    public their protocol (for safety reasons, they say - because if we knew
    the dirty tricks in it we would ban it, I say) and you could use my
    previous answer to direct them towards the light... ;-)
    A Cisco phone (or any proper VoIP phone or ATA) is way better than the
    Skype in every aspect (reliability, security, portability, etc...) and
    is way cheaper (some providers offer some destinations FREE, even if you
    call a fixed phone in a foreign country, or give you options for fixed
    price packages all-inclusive like some mobile carriers do).
    All in all, Skype had the luck of the backing from a big company, if it
    wasn't it will have drowned in the overcrowded IM area like Yahoo's and
    co.
    If you need any help to back your business, feel free to post here.

    Cheers
    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ßødincµs²°°°, May 24, 2006
  6. robustini

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Skype is NOT VoIP, is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other
    > Instant Messengers with the "voice" feature.

    <pedant>
    Not strictly true, Skype *is* VoIP but it uses a closed proprietary
    protocol so is not compatible with SIP etc. phones or ATA's.

    > VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known
    > and publicly recognized standards), Skype has a
    > proprietary closed standard.

    See above. It is VoIP but not as we know it..!
    </pedant>

    There are adaptors available to plug into the USB port of a PC running
    Skype, but you won't AFAIK find any standalone device that will run Skype
    without a PC, with the exception of some PDA's which can run it.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  7. Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence

    |"ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message

    |[snip]
    |
    |> Skype is NOT VoIP, is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other
    |> Instant Messengers with the "voice" feature.
    |
    |<pedant>
    |Not strictly true, Skype *is* VoIP but it uses a closed proprietary
    |protocol so is not compatible with SIP etc. phones or ATA's.
    |
    |> VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known
    |> and publicly recognized standards), Skype has a
    |> proprietary closed standard.
    |
    |See above. It is VoIP but not as we know it..!
    |</pedant>
    |
    |There are adaptors available to plug into the USB port of a PC running
    |Skype, but you won't AFAIK find any standalone device that will run Skype
    |without a PC, with the exception of some PDA's which can run it.
    |
    |Ivor

    Seen from your POW, even Yahoo and the new MSN Messenger are VoIP then.
    But they're not, IMPOW, because all they (Skype, Yahoo, MSN, etc...) are
    Instant Messengers WITH voice AND webcam features.
    The difference between Skype and the latter is that the traffic does not
    travel through intermediate servers, but uses a dirty (IMPOW) trick to
    exploit users with large bandwidth and public IP making them carry
    traffic between two users behind routers or other NAT devices.
    Huge threat and potential security hole.
    I'm not against Skype or other IM (I'm using Yahoo at this very
    moment!), but I'd like to draw a line between VoIP and IM.

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ßødincµs²°°°, May 24, 2006
  8. robustini

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Seen from your POW, even Yahoo and the new MSN Messenger
    > are VoIP then. But they're not, IMPOW, because all they
    > (Skype, Yahoo, MSN, etc...) are Instant Messengers WITH
    > voice AND webcam features.
    > The difference between Skype and the latter is that the
    > traffic does not travel through intermediate servers, but
    > uses a dirty (IMPOW) trick to exploit users with large
    > bandwidth and public IP making them carry traffic between
    > two users behind routers or other NAT devices.
    > Huge threat and potential security hole.
    > I'm not against Skype or other IM (I'm using Yahoo at
    > this very moment!), but I'd like to draw a line between
    > VoIP and IM.

    I'm speaking merely from a technical viewpoint. If it uses IP, which all
    internet traffic does, and it transmits voice, then it is, strictly
    speaking, Voice over IP.

    SIP, IAX, H323 and all the other protocols, Skype and IM included, are
    merely implementations of VoIP, but they *are* all VoIP..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  9. Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence

    |"ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message

    |[snip]
    |
    |> Seen from your POW, even Yahoo and the new MSN Messenger
    |> are VoIP then. But they're not, IMPOW, because all they
    |> (Skype, Yahoo, MSN, etc...) are Instant Messengers WITH
    |> voice AND webcam features.
    |> The difference between Skype and the latter is that the
    |> traffic does not travel through intermediate servers, but
    |> uses a dirty (IMPOW) trick to exploit users with large
    |> bandwidth and public IP making them carry traffic between
    |> two users behind routers or other NAT devices.
    |> Huge threat and potential security hole.
    |> I'm not against Skype or other IM (I'm using Yahoo at
    |> this very moment!), but I'd like to draw a line between
    |> VoIP and IM.
    |
    |I'm speaking merely from a technical viewpoint. If it uses IP, which all
    |internet traffic does, and it transmits voice, then it is, strictly
    |speaking, Voice over IP.
    |
    |SIP, IAX, H323 and all the other protocols, Skype and IM included, are
    |merely implementations of VoIP, but they *are* all VoIP..!
    |
    |Ivor

    Don't get confused between the different ISO/OSI stack levels, Skype and
    H323 are on different ISO/OSI levels.
    And, most of the internet infrastructure is NOT IP but ATM.
    Strange world, uh?
    VoIP is VOICE orientated, and Skype is COMMUNICATION orientated (voice,
    video, messages, files, email, etc...)

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ßødincµs²°°°, May 24, 2006
  10. robustini

    Paul Cupis Guest

    ßødincµs²°°° wrote:
    > Skype is NOT VoIP,

    Of course it is.

    > is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other Instant Messengers
    > with the "voice" feature.

    Those clients are also capable of VoIP.

    > VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known and publicly
    > recognized standards),

    No, VoIP is based on IP - the clue is in the name.
    Paul Cupis, May 24, 2006
  11. robustini

    Paul Cupis Guest

    ßødincµs²°°° wrote:
    > VoIP is VOICE orientated, and Skype is COMMUNICATION orientated (voice,
    > video, messages, files, email, etc...)

    So Skype is VoIP, but it is also more than just VoIP. Just like the IM
    clients you mentioned which can also do VoIP.

    Or are you saying that SIP is VoIP, even though you can use SIP for
    video, but Skype is not VoIP because you can you it for video?
    Paul Cupis, May 24, 2006
  12. robustini

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message
    > Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence
    > around uk.telecom.voip and said...

    [snip]

    > > SIP, IAX, H323 and all the other protocols, Skype and
    > > IM included, are merely implementations of VoIP, but
    > > they *are* all VoIP..!

    > Don't get confused between the different ISO/OSI stack
    > levels, Skype and H323 are on different ISO/OSI levels.
    > And, most of the internet infrastructure is NOT IP but
    > ATM.

    At the user level it is though, surely..?

    > Strange world, uh?

    Indeed.

    > VoIP is VOICE orientated, and Skype is COMMUNICATION
    > orientated (voice, video, messages, files, email, etc...)

    But it's still IP for the most part..!

    BTW I replied to your email (the one starting with temp) did you get it..?
    The sending address was invalid. Reply again if not.

    Ivot
    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  13. Recently, Paul Cupis popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    |ßødincµs²°°° wrote:
    |> Skype is NOT VoIP,
    |
    |Of course it is.
    |
    |> is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other Instant Messengers
    |> with the "voice" feature.
    |
    |Those clients are also capable of VoIP.
    |
    |> VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known and publicly
    |> recognized standards),
    |
    |No, VoIP is based on IP - the clue is in the name.

    Plonk...
    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ßødincµs²°°°, May 24, 2006
  14. robustini

    rick Guest

    Hi Bob,

    What kinds of phones do you have and what are your prices?

    Please let me know.

    * We buy and sell new/used networking equipment. Please contact me if
    you have any offers or are interested in buying *

    1 x VG224 NIB @ $3400, in stock!
    2 x VG248 NIB @ $4800/each, in stock!

    Thanks,

    Rick Truong
    TruTech Systems
    Office: +1.951.696.3688
    Mobile: +1.951.440.8711
    AIM: ricktrutek
    E-Mail: rick at trutechsystems dot net

    rick, May 25, 2006
  15. robustini

    alexd Guest

    ßødincµs²°°° wrote:

    > Don't get confused between the different ISO/OSI stack levels, Skype and
    > H323 are on different ISO/OSI levels.
    > And, most of the internet infrastructure is NOT IP but ATM.
    > Strange world, uh?
    > VoIP is VOICE orientated, and Skype is COMMUNICATION orientated (voice,
    > video, messages, files, email, etc...)

    What is the relevance of this?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:14:17 up 6 days, 13:11, 0 users, load average: 0.12, 0.08, 0.21
    alexd, May 26, 2006