    on resetting. I have read many articles but most of them are about to

    I have firmwares and TFTP server
    regards
    TheSpacian, Dec 9, 2007

  2. TheSpacian

    alexd Guest

    On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 02:45:34 -0800, TheSpacian wrote:

    > I am suffering from a problem with my Ip Phone 7960. It has been working
    > very fine with a Firmware p0S3-07-5-00 , today I upgraded this to
    > p0S3-08-2-00, its works and even with 8.6 version it works, but it has
    > some limitations with these firmwares. I want to go back to 7.5
    > firmware. I was abale to come back from 8.6 to 8.2, but it is not going
    > back to 7.5.

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk phone cisco 79xx

    That page indicates that it is not possible to downgrade major releases
    of firmware on 79xx handsets.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:14:22 up 28 days, 9:53, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.17
    alexd, Dec 9, 2007

  3. TheSpacian

    TheSpacian Guest

    I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
    firmware. it means there is a way to do it.
    Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

    Please help
    TheSpacian, Dec 10, 2007
  4. "TheSpacian" <> wrote in message
    >I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
    > firmware. it means there is a way to do it.
    > Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??
    >
    > Please help

    I'd be a bit suspect of people making bold and unsubstantiated claims on the
    internet like "You cannot downgrade the 79xx phones". What they typically
    mean is "I can't figure out how to downgrade the 79xx phones".

    I would suspect that you can downgrade if you find the correct route. I
    think you said you were trying to downgrade from 8.2 to 7.5. Try
    downgrading to 8.0 and then try from there. If that doesn't work try going
    to another version of 7.

    And if you do figure out a route that works please update something on the
    web - eg voip-info.org.
    Piers Finlayson, Dec 10, 2007
  5. TheSpacian

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    : : I'd be a bit suspect of people making bold and
    : : unsubstantiated claims on the internet like "You cannot
    : : downgrade the 79xx phones". What they typically mean
    : : is "I can't figure out how to downgrade the 79xx
    : : phones".
    : :
    : : I would suspect that you can downgrade if you find the
    : : correct route. I think you said you were trying to
    : : downgrade from 8.2 to 7.5. Try downgrading to 8.0 and
    : : then try from there. If that doesn't work try going to
    : : another version of 7.
    : :
    : : And if you do figure out a route that works please
    : : update something on the web - eg voip-info.org.

    When I wanted to downgrade the firmware on my AVM Fritz!Box I had to
    download a special program from a link given to me by technical support.
    It may be that there is a similar utility for your phone, have you asked
    them..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 10, 2007
  6. TheSpacian

    alexd Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:46:27 -0800, TheSpacian wrote:

    > I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
    > firmware. it means there is a way to do it.

    Were they unwilling to point you to documentation that explains how it
    can done? Did they say they require physical access to the handset? Maybe
    they have to do some magic with the bootloader through the console.

    > Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

    What makes you think it's a security restriction, rather than a technical
    limitation?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:52:46 up 29 days, 4:32, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.14
    alexd, Dec 10, 2007
  7. TheSpacian

    Ron Lowe Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:46:27 -0800, TheSpacian wrote:
    >
    >> I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
    >> firmware. it means there is a way to do it.

    > Were they unwilling to point you to documentation that explains how it
    > can done? Did they say they require physical access to the handset? Maybe
    > they have to do some magic with the bootloader through the console.
    >
    >> Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

    > What makes you think it's a security restriction, rather than a technical
    > limitation?

    SIP images prior to a certain release were unsigned ( .bin ) files.
    After that release, they became signed ( .sbn) files.

    Cisco SIP releases now come with both .bin and .sbn versions of the release.
    If you are upgrading from an old release, it will use the .bin file.
    If you are upgrading from a newer release, it will use the .sbn file.

    The older releases only ever came as .bin files.
    It is not possible ( using any publically-available tools that I know of )
    to make a phone with a recent release accept an old .bin file. It requires
    the secure .sbn file.

    It's possible that Cisco have available internally .sbn versions of older
    releases, or some other method like connecting a test jig onto the PCB
    directly. I don't know.

    But the end result is that you can't go back beyond that point ( release 5,
    it seems.. )

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/prod_release_note09186a00801844bb.html

    Quote....

    "Image Authentication and Signed Binary Files
    Cisco has added image authentication to its various IP Phone Protocols. With
    the addition of image authentication, the binary image can not be tampered
    with prior to being loaded into the phone. Any tampering with the image
    causes the phone to fail the authentication process and reject that image.
    The image authentication is done through signed binary files.

    This release does not use regular binary files as did previous releases but
    only accepts signed binary files. This step improves IP Phone security on
    the Cisco 7960/40 IP Phones. However, the use of signed binary files does
    not allow returning to an earlier software release. Once Cisco SIP IP Phone
    7940/7960 Release 5.0 is installed, it cannot be replaced with any previous
    release.

    Note After Cisco SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 5.0 is installed, it can
    only be replaced with the same or newer release. All releases prior to Cisco
    SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 5.0 will not function on this phone after it
    has been installed.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

    --
    Ron
    Ron Lowe, Dec 10, 2007
  8. TheSpacian

    TheSpacian Guest

    On Dec 10, 8:38 pm, "Ron Lowe" <ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS>
    wrote:
    > "alexd" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:46:27 -0800, TheSpacian wrote:

    > >> I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
    > >> firmware. it means there is a way to do it.

    > > Were they unwilling to point you to documentation that explains how it
    > > can done? Did they say they require physical access to the handset? Maybe
    > > they have to do some magic with the bootloader through the console.

    > >> Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

    > > What makes you think it's a security restriction, rather than a technical
    > > limitation?

    > SIP images prior to a certain release were unsigned ( .bin ) files.
    > After that release, they became signed ( .sbn) files.
    >
    > Cisco SIP releases now come with both .bin and .sbn versions of the release.
    > If you are upgrading from an old release, it will use the .bin file.
    > If you are upgrading from a newer release, it will use the .sbn file.
    >
    > The older releases only ever came as .bin files.
    > It is not possible ( using any publically-available tools that I know of )
    > to make a phone with a recent release accept an old .bin file. It requires
    > the secure .sbn file.
    >
    > It's possible that Cisco have available internally .sbn versions of older
    > releases, or some other method like connecting a test jig onto the PCB
    > directly. I don't know.
    >
    > But the end result is that you can't go back beyond that point ( release 5,
    > it seems.. )
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/prod_release_no...
    >
    > Quote....
    >
    > "Image Authentication and Signed Binary Files
    > Cisco has added image authentication to its various IP Phone Protocols. With
    > the addition of image authentication, the binary image can not be tampered
    > with prior to being loaded into the phone. Any tampering with the image
    > causes the phone to fail the authentication process and reject that image.
    > The image authentication is done through signed binary files.
    >
    > This release does not use regular binary files as did previous releases but
    > only accepts signed binary files. This step improves IP Phone security on
    > the Cisco 7960/40 IP Phones. However, the use of signed binary files does
    > not allow returning to an earlier software release. Once Cisco SIP IP Phone
    > 7940/7960 Release 5.0 is installed, it cannot be replaced with any previous
    > release.

    > Note After Cisco SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 5.0 is installed, it can
    > only be replaced with the same or newer release. All releases prior to Cisco
    > SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 5.0 will not function on this phone after it
    > has been installed.
    >
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
    >
    > --
    > Ron

    Hi List Thanks for all of your comments

    the disscussion was going very great.. after reading some litrature I
    came to know to the following ;

    actulay if we upgrade the firmware from a version lower than 5, to the
    5, then it is not possible to go back, because after this release
    Cisco started *.sbn file that is a signed binary image, and previously
    there was no signed. so it means a firmware v8x should come back to 7x
    (logicaly), but why it is not working in my case I think there could
    be two reasons.

    1. May be I have to downgrade the firmware stepwise , like from 8.2 to
    8.00 and then 7.something . but i tried my best to find a firmware in
    between the 7.5 and 8.2, but no luck I could not find , if some one
    has it , please lt me know so that I could give a try..

    2. the second reason that is posiible, I downloaded the 8.2 version
    from Cisco website. it contains the four files ;
    P003-08-6-00.sbn ,P003-08-6-00.bin, P0S3-08-6-00.sb2,
    P0S3-08-6-00.loads. whereas the old version that I got from some un
    official source contains 5 files, including all these four plus
    P0S3-07-5-00.sbn. I think it is the reason because new firmware does
    not have this file, it does not replace P003-xx-x-xx.sbn with this
    file, I think if I could get this file P0S3-08-2-00.sbn, the firmware
    will be downgraded.

    by the way Cisco asked me the serial number of my device ?? why they
    did not mention....

    regards
    TheSpacian, Dec 11, 2007
  9. TheSpacian

    jch2os Guest

    The way I got it working was to create a file called XMLDefault.cnf.xml
    and put this in it:

    <Default>
    <callManagerGroup>
    <members>
    <member priority="0">
    <callManager>
    <ports>
    <ethernetPhonePort>2000</ethernetPhonePort>
    <mgcpPorts>
    <listen>2427</listen>
    <keepAlive>2428</keepAlive>
    </mgcpPorts>
    </ports>
    <processNodeName></processNodeName>
    </callManager>
    </member>
    </members>
    </callManagerGroup>
    <loadInformation8 model="IP Phone
    7940">P0S3-07-5-00</loadInformation8>
    <loadInformation7 model="IP Phone
    7960">P0S3-07-5-00</loadInformation7>
    <authenticationURL></authenticationURL>
    <directoryURL></directoryURL>
    <idleURL></idleURL>
    <informationURL></informationURL>
    <messagesURL></messagesURL>
    <servicesURL></servicesURL>
    </Default>

    My OS79XX.TXT file has P0S3-07-5-00 in it. Let me know if this works
    for you.

    Jason

    View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=34025
    http://www.wirelessforums.org