    legally?

    Thank you.
    Devim.
    Devim, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Devim

    BernieM Guest

    "Devim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi..
    >
    > I need help in understanding the Cisco Software License Agreement. Is
    > it legal to buy a used original Cisco Feature packs CD which doesn't
    > complete? (CD only, no license agreement paper nor documentation).
    > Does it make me have the right to use it on my used cisco device
    > legally?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Devim.

    Here's some light reading for you.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/es_inpck/cetrans.htm
    BernieM, Apr 7, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    Devim <> wrote:
    >I need help in understanding the Cisco Software License Agreement. Is
    >it legal to buy a used original Cisco Feature packs CD which doesn't
    >complete? (CD only, no license agreement paper nor documentation).
    >Does it make me have the right to use it on my used cisco device
    >legally?

    No, the software isn't transferable unless bought from one of
    a small number of authorized dealers, or unless you "Relicense"
    the software, or you bought the entire company. This implies also that
    except within the narrow circumstances, purchasers of used Cisco equipment
    generally do not have the legal right to use the software that is already on
    the equipment (there might be some exceptions for some of the old Catalyst
    switch software which used to be available for download without restriction.)

    If the update package had never been opened and was complete,
    and you only used the feature set you were authorized to use, then
    that might fall within the bounds of legality, but I wouldn't want to
    bet on it, not unless it had been bought from a VAR.
    Walter Roberson, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Devim

    JF Mezei Guest

    BernieM wrote:
    > Here's some light reading for you.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/es_inpck/cetrans.htm

    I can see fairly explicit rules preventing customer A from giving a copy of his
    software to person B who would then use it on a separate/different box.

    However, when person A sells a box to person B, it is explicitely forbidden for
    B to turn the box on and use whatever software was already installed in the box ?

    If Cisco makes it illegal for a customer to sell his cisco boxes as second hand
    equipment, shouldn't Cisco become rabid like the RIAA and sue anyone attempting
    to sell Cisco equipment on ebay ?

    Does Cisco still sell licences for old equipment ? Are prices available on their
    web site ?

    Or is this something they tolerate, but still have the rules in place to prevent
    systematic abuse by resellers etc ?
    JF Mezei, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Devim

    BernieM Guest

    "JF Mezei" <> wrote in message
    > BernieM wrote:
    >> Here's some light reading for you.
    >>
    >> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/es_inpck/cetrans.htm

    > I can see fairly explicit rules preventing customer A from giving a copy
    > of his software to person B who would then use it on a separate/different
    > box.
    >

    > However, when person A sells a box to person B, it is explicitely
    > forbidden for B to turn the box on and use whatever software was already
    > installed in the box ?

    It appears so ...

    "except as otherwise expressly provided under this Agreement, Customer shall
    have no right, and Customer specifically agrees not to:
    (i) transfer, assign or sublicense its license rights to any other person or
    entity, or use the Software on unauthorized or secondhand Cisco equipment,
    and Customer acknowledges that any attempted transfer, assignment,
    sublicense or use shall be void; "

    > If Cisco makes it illegal for a customer to sell his cisco boxes as second
    > hand equipment, shouldn't Cisco become rabid like the RIAA and sue anyone
    > attempting to sell Cisco equipment on ebay ?
    >

    > Does Cisco still sell licences for old equipment ? Are prices available on
    > their web site ?
    >
    > Or is this something they tolerate, but still have the rules in place to
    > prevent systematic abuse by resellers etc ?

    I assume that's the case to balance loss of income with keeping in good
    stead with the public. Being too restrictive would just cause more $ lost
    anyway.

    BernieM
    BernieM, Apr 7, 2007
  6. In article <ddf2a$46181445$cef8887a$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    >If Cisco makes it illegal for a customer to sell his cisco boxes as second hand
    >equipment, shouldn't Cisco become rabid like the RIAA and sue anyone attempting
    >to sell Cisco equipment on ebay ?

    Cisco tends to go after the Grey Market people. The individuals selling
    used stuff are probably too numerous to hit more than a fraction of.
    And they probably monitor and Cease and Desist any eBay business that
    appears to be advertising itself as a Cisco dealer -- that'd get into
    trademark infringement.

    >Does Cisco still sell licences for old equipment ? Are prices available
    >on their
    >web site ?

    Yes and Yes, but details can be hard to find even when you know what
    you are looking for. Also, they do not appear to offer Relicensing
    (LIC-* part numbers) for anything after a year after EOS (End of Sale).
    New support contracts are generally available on equipment for
    a year after EOS, so they are already accustomed to that case,
    but new support contracts can't be started after that year. More or
    less, once something has gone EOS, they prefer just to finish their
    existing contracts for it and get it out of their inventory and want
    to be able to stop retaining the product expertise. Once something
    has gone EOL (End of Life), they really don't want to deal with it.
    There is a fair bit of EOL equipment on the used market -- e.g., 1600's
    and 2611's that aren't 2611XMs. If you buy into something EOL, then
    Cisco will flat out refuse to consider Relicensing it to you.
    (They might perhaps apologize if it's merely EOS, but no apology if it's
    EOL.)
    Walter Roberson, Apr 8, 2007
  7. Devim

    Devim Guest

    > However, when person A sells a box to person B, it is explicitely forbidden for
    > B to turn the box on and use whatever software was already installed in the box ?

    I heard from used cisco dealers, that the basic IOS software
    originally came from new equipment is transferable, because the logic
    is that the license has been bought for that particular hardware in
    the first place. But that is not the case with any add-on or feature
    packs purchased seperately.

    I've also been told that any use of cisco equipment that did not
    connect to a live network (such as private/commercial education
    purposes) doesn't need any license, so they can install any IOS
    features without have to pay them.

    Are these two statements true? If they are, I could make network labs
    equipped with cisco equipment and the most advaced IOS and hire them
    to CCIE candidate without having to pay a single penny for license.
    Devim, Apr 8, 2007
  8. "Devim" <> writes:
    >I heard from used cisco dealers, that the basic IOS software
    >originally came from new equipment is transferable, because the logic
    >is that the license has been bought for that particular hardware in
    >the first place. But that is not the case with any add-on or feature
    >packs purchased seperately.

    >I've also been told that any use of cisco equipment that did not
    >connect to a live network (such as private/commercial education
    >purposes) doesn't need any license, so they can install any IOS
    >features without have to pay them.

    >Are these two statements true? If they are, I could make network labs
    >equipped with cisco equipment and the most advaced IOS and hire them
    >to CCIE candidate without having to pay a single penny for license.

    Sounds like the used dealers are making up statements to support the
    sale of their gear.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/prod_warranties_item09186a008025c927.html

    General Limitations. This is a license, not a transfer of title, to
    the Software and Documentation, and Cisco retains ownership of all
    copies of the Software and Documentation. ...
    Customer shall have no right, and Customer specifically agrees not to:

    (i) transfer, assign or sublicense its license rights to any other
    person or entity, or use the Software on unauthorized or secondhand
    Cisco equipment, and Customer acknowledges that any attempted
    transfer, assignment, sublicense or use shall be void;
    (iv) use or permit the Software to be used to perform services for
    third parties, whether on a service bureau or time sharing basis or
    otherwise, without the express written authorization of Cisco; or

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html

    Cisco's policy is that Software, whether Standalone or Embedded, is
    not transferable, except where a listed exception below applies, and
    except, of course, where Cisco's contract expressly allows it. Any
    other transfers will require the payment of a new license fee (see
    Global Price List).
    <exceptions deal with company mergers, outsourcing, etc>

    Its not like Cisco is ever going to go against some small company or
    person that bought a used router off eBay. The way I read this mostly
    is to cut down on the gray market stuff flying around.
    Doug McIntyre, Apr 8, 2007
  9. Devim

    JF Mezei Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html

    ##
    For products where there is no separate line item for the Software (i.e. the
    prices for both the Hardware and Software are bundled), and therefore, a fee
    cannot be determined, an exception will be made to allow for the transfer
    without the customer being required to obtain a new license (the customer may be
    required to pay an inspection fee)
    ##

    So, if a switch is sold with its embedded software as part of the purchase
    price, then you can safely sell the switch and the software in it as second-hand
    equipment.

    If you've bough additional software options for the equipment, then it is clear
    that those cannot be transfered, unless you are tranfering it internally to
    hardware purchased from authorised Cisco vendor (not second hand and not a clone).
    JF Mezei, Apr 9, 2007
  10. Devim

    BernieM Guest

    "JF Mezei" <> wrote in message
    > Doug McIntyre wrote:
    >> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html

    > ##
    > For products where there is no separate line item for the Software (i.e.
    > the prices for both the Hardware and Software are bundled), and therefore,
    > a fee cannot be determined, an exception will be made to allow for the
    > transfer without the customer being required to obtain a new license (the
    > customer may be required to pay an inspection fee)
    > ##
    >

    > So, if a switch is sold with its embedded software as part of the purchase
    > price, then you can safely sell the switch and the software in it as
    > second-hand equipment.
    >
    > If you've bough additional software options for the equipment, then it is
    > clear that those cannot be transfered, unless you are tranfering it
    > internally to hardware purchased from authorised Cisco vendor (not second
    > hand and not a clone).

    To avoid the possibility of a third party misinterpreting Cisco's policy ...

    Any questions or comments regarding this policy should be sent to
    .
    BernieM, Apr 9, 2007