    Has Cisco something like that?

    Thanks,

    Dima

    Dimitri Petrovich, Jun 5, 2005

  2. In article <42a3468f$>,
    Dimitri Petrovich <> wrote:
    >I've been looking around cisco.com and I haven't found a solution based on
    >Cisco IDS doign like an ISS Proventia G inline mode. The Internet Security
    >Systems Inline Proventia G has basically 3 interfaces. The first is used for
    >management (with an IP by then ) and the 2 others not having an IP but being
    >there to sniff. The G is acting like not being there but killing the bad
    >traffic going through the two NIC being not visible. So, this is like a
    >"tap".

    >Has Cisco something like that?

    Cisco is starting to approach that in it's PIX firewall and IOS
    routers, with their ability to create "transparent" firewalls
    in some very new software releases.

    I don't have information about the Cisco IDS line itself. PIX has
    poor-man's IDS.
    --
    'The short version of what Walter said is "You have asked a question
    which has no useful answer, please reconsider the nature of the

    Walter Roberson, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Dimitri Petrovich wrote:
    > Hi team!
    >
    > I've been looking around cisco.com and I haven't found a solution based on
    > Cisco IDS doign like an ISS Proventia G inline mode. The Internet Security
    > Systems Inline Proventia G has basically 3 interfaces. The first is used for
    > management (with an IP by then ) and the 2 others not having an IP but being
    > there to sniff. The G is acting like not being there but killing the bad
    > traffic going through the two NIC being not visible. So, this is like a
    > "tap".
    >
    > Has Cisco something like that?

    Basically, all product that had IDS functionality (capturing
    traffic passing by and eventualy influencing transport devices to
    filter out this traffic) are now moving to IPS functionality
    (working in-line).

    As for IOS - it has IPS code from 12.3(8)T. New ASA appliances have
    IPS functionality in SSM-AIP modules. IDSMv2 module for Catalyst 6500
    has also in-line capability. Not mentioning former IDS 4200 appliances,
    that are now IPS 4200 appliances, with number of interfaces and also
    in-line capability.

    Start reading & searching for info here:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/index.html

    --
    this space was intentionally left blank | £ukasz Bromirski
    you can insert your favourite quote here | lukasz:bromirski,net

    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?=A3ukasz_Bromirski?=, Jun 7, 2005