Cisco icmp problems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by saintjmf, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. saintjmf

    saintjmf Guest

    has anyone heard or seen this before?

    I have a Cisco 2500 (IOS 12.2(22)series running with basic
    configuration. ip address and no shut on eth0
    No access-lists
    No Firewall enabled.

    Connections is as follows:

    INTERNET ------ SurfBoard (Cable Modem) ---- 2500

    When connected to the 2500 through console cable I get 20% packet
    loss.
    !!.!!

    Ping yahoo.com or 4.2.2.2

    No Interface errors and nothing else but router connected to cable
    mode -- I am consoled into the device.

    I attempt to send 20 ping packets and recieve same result.
    !!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.....etc

    I have cleared configuration and just have IP address set on eth0.
    I have tried eth1 with a different Transciever.

    >From behind the Cisco router - I recieve usually 100% replies from a

    windows XP box.

    I have tried this same exact setup using a 2611XM (12.3T)

    This does not fix the issue I still recieve 20% packet loss out to the
    internet through pings directed from the router.

    I have switched cat5 cables and Coax cableing.

    I directly connect my PC to the modem and recieve 100% repleys.

    This seems to not be isolated to the router as it happens on a 2500
    and 2600 running seperate IOS versions.
    Also using Faethernet int on the 2600 and eth on the 2500 doesnt seem
    to matter.

    I have also changed nego from auto to hard coded.
    I have also tried lowering the icmp data to 36 bytes as it defualts to
    100.

    No Matter what I seem to do the Routers cannot ping out to the TWC
    network and recieve 100% reply.

    I have also connected both routers to a switch and pinged between the
    same interfaces and recieve 100% replys

    Any information would be great.
    saintjmf, Apr 13, 2007

  2. saintjmf

    Brad Guest

    > I attempt to send 20 ping packets and recieve same result.
    > !!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.....etc

    FYI, that's 33% packet loss.

    If you posted your configuration it may make troubleshooting a little
    easier.
    Brad, Apr 13, 2007

  3. saintjmf

    saintjmf Guest

    On Apr 13, 1:26 pm, "Brad" <> wrote:
    > > I attempt to send 20 ping packets and recieve same result.
    > > !!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.....etc

    > FYI, that's 33% packet loss.
    >
    > If you posted your configuration it may make troubleshooting a little
    > easier.

    Brad,

    Yeah wow 33% well when I said 20% I was refering to the defualt 5
    pings lossing 1 equals 20% -- But since that seems to be your biggest
    concern .....

    UMM well as I said Brad....

    I start out from erase start -- I say yes.

    Reboot

    I then get to

    No no auto crap

    Then
    Router>en
    Router#
    config t
    int fa0/0
    ip address dhcp
    no shut

    This is done a little different on a 2500 since it is a Eth0
    interface.

    That pretty much it.

    Need the whole config?
    saintjmf, Apr 13, 2007
  4. saintjmf

    Brad Guest

    > Need the whole config?

    Yes
    Brad, Apr 13, 2007
  5. saintjmf

    Guest

    Give us interface statistics do determine packets being dropped on
    that interface. Maybe this won't help but thats what I would check.

    If you get 100% on your PC and 80% on your router consisently then
    obviously the router has problems. check the interfaces for dropped
    packets.
    , Apr 13, 2007
  6. saintjmf

    saintjmf Guest

    On Apr 13, 3:09 pm, "Brad" <> wrote:
    > > Need the whole config?

    > Yes

    Brad,

    If you still need the whole config after what I just told you then you
    arent going to much help.
    if you dont no what a config looks like after the commands I posted
    then you would be lost.
    Thanks anyway for playing -- Game over
    saintjmf, Apr 14, 2007
  7. saintjmf

    Brad Guest

    On Apr 14, 1:24 pm, "saintjmf" <> wrote:
    > If you still need the whole config after what I just told you then you
    > arent going to much help.
    > if you dont no what a config looks like after the commands I posted
    > then you would be lost.
    > Thanks anyway for playing -- Game over

    There could be something else in your configuration that is causing
    you problems. If you look at the posts I'm not the only one asking for
    more information. If you choose to not post your config that is your
    right. Good luck.
    Brad, Apr 16, 2007