CISCO HOME LAB

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JohnNews, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. JohnNews

    JohnNews Guest

    Folks:

    I am building my first CISCO LAB because I want to complete CCNP , CCIE,

    I have been advided that this is what a typical higher end CCIE home lab
    should look like:

    **********************************
    A typical higher end CCIE home lab:

    Three Cisco 2501
    Two Cisco 2503
    One Cisco 2511
    One Cisco 2514
    One Cisco 2522
    One 2620
    One 2610
    Voice modules
    cables, xcvrs, etc
    2x cat 3550
    isdn simulator
    **********************************

    I have seen all these items on sale at Ebay. However before commiting
    myself financially I would like to ask a few questions:

    * If I want to create a moderate (NOT low end) CISCO LAB good for both
    CCNP, CCIE; how can i make this list smaller
    * During the purchasing of these routers, are there any pitfalls to watch
    for. I obviously do not want a bad purchasing experience nor to be ripped
    off by unscrupulous vendors.
    * Can these devicies (routers & switches) be opened up and valuable
    components (memory , etc) be removed. If possible, how to prevent this?
    * In terms of memory, what should these routers have: 8/16/32/64 Mb Ram &
    Flash?
    * In the above list, why is it necessary to buy so many different models.
    Could I not buy a smaller number of high end routers to get the same effect?

    Thanks,
    John.
    JohnNews, Sep 4, 2003

  2. JohnNews

    Brad Ellis Guest

    John,

    You'll want 16D/16F in your 2500s, and 64D/16F in your 2600s. Feel free to
    call me if you'd like to discuss. 702-968-5100, or email me your phone #,
    and I'll be happy to call you.

    thanks,
    -Brad Ellis
    CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)
    Network Learning Inc

    www.ccbootcamp.com/quicklinks.html (Cisco Training)
    www.routerie.com (Cisco R&S CCIE Discussion groups)
    www.securityie.com (Cisco Security CCIE Discussion groups)
    www.optsys.net (Cisco hardware)
    Voice: 702-968-5100
    FAX: 702-968-5104

    Brad Ellis, Sep 4, 2003

  3. JohnNews wrote:

    > Folks:
    >
    > I am building my first CISCO LAB because I want to complete CCNP , CCIE,
    >
    > I have been advided that this is what a typical higher end CCIE home lab
    > should look like:
    >
    > **********************************
    > A typical higher end CCIE home lab:
    >
    > Three Cisco 2501
    > Two Cisco 2503
    > One Cisco 2511
    > One Cisco 2514
    > One Cisco 2522
    > One 2620
    > One 2610
    > Voice modules
    > cables, xcvrs, etc
    > 2x cat 3550
    > isdn simulator
    > **********************************
    >
    > I have seen all these items on sale at Ebay. However before commiting
    > myself financially I would like to ask a few questions:
    >
    > * If I want to create a moderate (NOT low end) CISCO LAB good for both
    > CCNP, CCIE; how can i make this list smaller

    rip off 2511 ( terminal sever ), one Cat 3550

    > * Can these devicies (routers & switches) be opened up and valuable
    > components (memory , etc) be removed. If possible, how to prevent this?

    ram and flash can be changed

    > * In the above list, why is it necessary to buy so many different models.
    > Could I not buy a smaller number of high end routers to get the same effect?

    well there arent many diff models.just 25xx and 26xx.

    --
    Marcin Tadeusz Strzyzewski
    CCNP/CCSP/SCSA
    Marcin Strzyzewski, Sep 5, 2003