Cisco Home Lab Topology

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Guest, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Folks:

    Two years ago I purchased a Cisco Home Lab from EBAY. The components of the
    lab is listed below. Now, my goal is to put together a flexible
    home lab TOPOLOGY that makes use of all my equipment and allows for remote
    login from across the Internet. Any references/links deeply
    appreciated. Here are some questions:

    * Is this lab good enough for CURRENT cisco certifications from CCNA
    thru CCNP to CCIE ? I know that Cisco is constantly changing/updating
    things all the time,
    * Most of my routers are maxed out at 16Mb Flash & 16 Mb Ram. Is this
    a major disadvantage for certifications ? If so, how best to overcome any
    disadvantages ?
    * How is an Access Server different from a Terminal Server and which of
    these routers are best suited for these purposes ?
    * What is the best Topology (Terminal Server, Access Server, Cable
    Modem Router, etc) to be used with all of my Cisco equipment ?
    * Which of these routers can best be used for an Access Server,
    Terminal Server, Firewall, Etc ?
    * Finally, what is the difference between Routing and Routed protocols
    ?

    Thanks,
    Jo.

    ----------------------------------------------------- CISCO HOME
    LAB --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUTERS & SWITCH:
    1 Cisco 2502 - 2 Serial Ports, 1 Token Ring Port
    4 Cisco 2507 - 2 Serial Ports, 1 Ethernet Port
    1 Cisco 2511 - 2 Serial Ports, 1 Ethernet Port, 16 Asynchronous
    Ports, TERMINAL SERVER
    2 Cisco 2514 - 2 Serial Ports, 2 Ethernet Ports
    1 Cisco 2516 - 2 Serial Ports, 1 Ethernet Port, 1 ISDN BRI Port
    1 Cisco 2520 - 4 Serial Ports, 1 Ethernet Port, 1 ISDN BRI Port,
    FRAME RELAY
    1 Cisco 2610 - 1 Ethernet Port, 2 WIC-1T's (2 Serial Ports),
    64/16 RAM, includes NM-1V with VIC-2FXS Modules
    1 Cisco 2611 - 2 Ethernet, 1 WIC-2T (2 Serial Ports), 1 WIC-1B-U
    ISDN NT1 Port, 64/16 RAM, includes NM-1V with VIC-2FXS Modules
    1 Cisco 3550-24-SMI Switches Layer 3 12.1.13 EMI IOS Image
    1 ISDN Simulator

    ACCESSORIES:
    All Routers Maxed Out - 16 Mb Flash & 16 Mb Ram
    20- Ethernet Cables
    8- DCE/DTE Crossover Cables
    10- AUI Transceivers
    14- AC Power Cords
    2- OCTAL Cable
    1- Console cable kit

    Guest, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Guest

    Merv Guest

    Suggest you acquire the book "CCIE Routing and Switching Practice Lab"

    You seem to have enought gear to create quite a number of toployg
    scenarios.

    Spent some time thinkig about creating an OSPF toplogy containing 2 -3
    routers in area 0 (core) and have a least two non-core areas.

    For BGP you will want to have at least two external BGP peers and test
    reachability
    EBGP router 1 - internal BGP routers (IBGP) to EBGP router 2

    Also think about how to set BGP route reflectors

    For frame-relay use both pysical interfaces and sub-interface
    configuration for a hub and spoke configuration. Pay attention to how
    you configure OSPF neighbour in a frame-realy point-to-point and NMBA
    topology.

    BTW what ISDN simulator do you have ???
    Merv, Feb 14, 2006