Cisco HDLC frame format

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Schmuck, May 7, 2004.

  1. Schmuck

    Schmuck Guest

    Gurus,

    2 quick HDLC questions.

    1) Does the proprietary 2-byte "Protocol Type" field in the Cisco HDLC
    header use standard RFC1700 values?

    2) The Internetworking Technologies Handbook states that ISO HDLC uses
    the same packet format as IBM SDLC.

    Ref: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/sdlcetc.htm

    a) What governs whether the Address and Control fields are 1 or 2
    bytes in length?
    b) Is this the same for Cisco HDLC?

    Thanks in Advance,

    Matt

    Schmuck, May 7, 2004

  2. Schmuck

    Steinar Haug Guest

    Steinar Haug, May 7, 2004

  3. Schmuck

    James Guest

    Schmuck wrote:
    > Gurus,
    >
    > 2 quick HDLC questions.
    >
    > 1) Does the proprietary 2-byte "Protocol Type" field in the Cisco HDLC
    > header use standard RFC1700 values?
    >
    > 2) The Internetworking Technologies Handbook states that ISO HDLC uses
    > the same packet format as IBM SDLC.
    >
    > Ref: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/sdlcetc.htm
    >
    > a) What governs whether the Address and Control fields are 1 or 2
    > bytes in length?
    > b) Is this the same for Cisco HDLC?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Matt

    Linux has several support pacakges for
    HDLC, in source-code from. There's even
    documentation.

    Check out:
    http://hq.pm.waw.pl/hdlc/

    and search on google for HDLC linux
    and any other keywords you want to use....

    I sure there is generic support for HDLC
    in the BSD distributions too!

    James

    James, May 8, 2004