    Thanks,

    --
    Yoann Roman
    Yoann Roman, Oct 11, 2006

  2. In article
    <OL8Xg.247449$>,
    "Yoann Roman" <-bypass.gatech.edu> wrote:

    > I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that provides
    > outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

    Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over all
    of them.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Yoann Roman

    Yoann Roman Guest

    >> I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that
    >> provides outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

    > Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over
    > all of them.

    That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're suggesting
    using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any type of load
    balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other solutions by SonicWall /
    FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's answer right now.

    Anyone ever used CEF?

    --
    Yoann Roman
    Yoann Roman, Oct 30, 2006
  4. In article <eep1h.151947$>,
    "Yoann Roman" <-bypass.gatech.edu> wrote:

    > >> I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that
    > >> provides outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

    > > Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over
    > > all of them.

    > That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're suggesting
    > using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any type of load
    > balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other solutions by SonicWall /
    > FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's answer right now.
    >
    > Anyone ever used CEF?

    You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without excess
    overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is per-destination load
    balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache, but that can have
    serious performance impact.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Oct 31, 2006
  5. Yoann Roman

    Yoann Roman Guest

    >>> Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over
    >>> all of them.

    >> That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're
    >> suggesting using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any
    >> type of load balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other
    >> solutions by SonicWall / FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's
    >> answer right now.
    >>
    >> Anyone ever used CEF?

    > You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without
    > excess overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is
    > per-destination load balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache,
    > but that can have serious performance impact.

    What about getting per connection load balancing (with TCP, not UDP
    obviously)?

    That's the approach I've seem implemented on alternative products. Based on
    what the Cisco SE said, CIOS only has per destination or per packet load
    balancing, but no round robin per connection load balancing.

    Thanks.

    --
    Yoann Roman
    Yoann Roman, Oct 31, 2006
  6. In article <BpJ1h.156531$>,

    > >> That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're
    > >> suggesting using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any
    > >> type of load balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other
    > >> solutions by SonicWall / FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's
    > >> answer right now.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone ever used CEF?

    > > You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without
    > > excess overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is
    > > per-destination load balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache,
    > > but that can have serious performance impact.

    > What about getting per connection load balancing (with TCP, not UDP
    > obviously)?

    IIRC, one of the options with CEF is per-flow load balancing.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Yoann Roman

    Yoann Roman Guest

    >>> You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without
    >>> excess overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is
    >>> per-destination load balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache,
    >>> but that can have serious performance impact.

    >> What about getting per connection load balancing (with TCP, not UDP
    >> obviously)?

    > IIRC, one of the options with CEF is per-flow load balancing.

    That would be nice, but I don't see it. Per-packet or per-destination are
    the only types that it seems to support unless I'm missing something
    obvious.

    Configuring a Load-Balancing Scheme for CEF Traffic:
    http://tinyurl.com/yhzszu

    What I'm getting at with per-connection is that, based on the above, if I'm
    downloading 2 large files from one site, only one link will be used while
    the others just sit idle.

    Thanks,

    --
    Yoann Roman