Cisco Fast Etherchannel and Intel Pro/1000MT Quad - TX Unicast Not Load Balanced

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Nikolai Schupbach, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I've been trying to set up Cisco FEC from a Catalyst 5505 to a server
    with a Intel Pro/1000MT Quad port server adapter. The problem is that
    Transmit Unicast packets to the server are only utilising one of the 4
    links available. Even though data is being transmitted from 20
    different servers/mac addresses.

    Here is the output from "show channel traffic" (for testing I'm using
    only 2 channels)

    ChanId Port Rx-Ucst Tx-Ucst Rx-Mcst Tx-Mcst Rx-Bcst Tx-Bcst
    ------ ----- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
    838 3/11 19.68% 100.00% 0.00% 50.00% 23.29% 4.16%
    838 3/12 80.32% 0.00% 0.00% 50.00% 76.71% 95.84%

    However data being sent from the server to the clients systems is
    being load balanced.

    I've configured the switch with the following parameters:

    set port channel 3/11-12 151
    set port channel 3/11-12 mode on
    set port speed 3/11-12 100
    set port duplex 3/11-12 full

    I've forced full duplex and 100mbps on the Server Adapter and created
    a 2 port Fast EtherChannel/Link Aggregation Team using Intel PROSet.
    After creating the team and using the test button on the Intel PROSet
    application it confirms that the configuration with the switch is
    working correctly.

    From my understanding provding the source or destination MAC address
    is different, load balancing should occur over each link for each
    destination source pair. However this ONLY seems to be the case for RX
    unicast packets and not for TX unicast packets.

    According to the Cisco documenation it is not possible to change the
    frame distribution method on a Catalyst 5000 and that the default
    method is performed on the source MAC address and the destination MAC
    address. Since the source MAC address will always be different
    shouldn't it be load balancing?

    Can someone please confirm if the behaviour above is what I should be
    expecting? The server is set up as a backup server so data is always
    being transmitted to the server which is why TX load balancing is more
    important for us.

    Here are the show port capabilities:

    5505-CS0-NET24> sh port capabilities 3/11
    Model WS-X5225R
    Port 3/11
    Type 10/100BaseTX
    Speed auto,10,100
    Duplex half,full
    Trunk encap type 802.1Q,ISL
    Trunk mode on,off,desirable,auto,nonegotiate
    Channel 3/11-12,3/9-12
    Broadcast suppression percentage(0-100)
    Flow control receive-(off,on),send-(off,on)
    Security yes
    Dot1x yes
    Membership static,dynamic
    Fast start yes
    QOS scheduling rx-(none),tx-(none)
    CoS rewrite yes
    ToS rewrite IP-Precedence
    Rewrite yes
    UDLD yes
    AuxiliaryVlan 1..1000,untagged,dot1p,none
    SPAN source,destination

    5505-CS0-NET24> (enable) sh port capabilities 3/12
    Model WS-X5225R
    Port 3/12
    Type 10/100BaseTX
    Speed auto,10,100
    Duplex half,full
    Trunk encap type 802.1Q,ISL
    Trunk mode on,off,desirable,auto,nonegotiate
    Channel 3/11-12,3/9-12
    Broadcast suppression percentage(0-100)
    Flow control receive-(off,on),send-(off,on)
    Security yes
    Dot1x yes
    Membership static,dynamic
    Fast start yes
    QOS scheduling rx-(none),tx-(none)
    CoS rewrite yes
    ToS rewrite IP-Precedence
    Rewrite yes
    UDLD yes
    AuxiliaryVlan 1..1000,untagged,dot1p,none
    SPAN source,destination

    And Channel Info:

    Switch Frame Distribution Method: mac both

    Port Status Channel Admin Channel Speed Duplex Vlan
    mode group id
    ----- ---------- -------------------- ----- ------- ----- ------ ----
    3/11 connected on 151 838 100 full 300
    3/12 connected on 151 838 100 full 300
    ----- ---------- -------------------- ----- ------- ----- ------ ----

    Port ifIndex Oper-group Neighbor Oper-Distribution PortSecurity/
    Oper-group Method Dynamic port
    ----- ------- ---------- ---------- ----------------- -------------
    3/11 98 1 mac both
    3/12 98 1 mac both
    ----- ------- ---------- ---------- ----------------- -------------

    Port Device-ID Port-ID
    Platform
    ----- ------------------------------- -------------------------
    ----------------
    3/11
    3/12
    ----- ------------------------------- -------------------------
    ----------------

    Port Trunk-status Trunk-type Trunk-vlans
    ----- ------------ -------------
    3/11 not-trunking negotiate 1-1005
    3/12 not-trunking negotiate 1-1005
    ----- ------------ -------------