Cisco equipment background check with serial numbers

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kirill Ponazdyr, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    We would like to do a background check on serial numbers of several
    cisco devices to check things such as which company was it sold with,
    if it was reported as stolen or if the machines are still under
    warranty or smartnet maintenance.

    Our direct calls to Cisco resulted in nothing, the cisco
    representative told us, that while he can check the serial numbers for
    us, he cannot tell us anything about their origin / history / warranty
    or smartnet status because of the "privacy reasons". Which kind of
    makes a check pointless, isn't it? He also claimed that he cannot
    check if the serials are reported stolen.

    I find it hard to believe, there are some hints on the web stating,
    that supposedly some of this functions are available under SCC section
    of Cisco web site, but we are not able to access it with our CCO
    account. The closest we got was the "Quick Search" under SCC
    registration section, which always gives us "This functionality is not
    availalble at this time." message.

    We would be very thankful for any hints on whanever such serches
    exsist and what are the minimal requirements to get access to them.

    Thanks and best regards,

    Kirill
    P.s Because of the recent, massive Spamming of
    Email addresses within nntp posts headers, the email
    address posted in headers of this message is bogus,
    if you wish to reply to this message via E-Mail please
    decrypt and use the follwing address:
    ng1{at}codeangels*d0t*com

    Kirill Ponazdyr, Dec 9, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Kirill Ponazdyr <> wrote:
    :We would like to do a background check on serial numbers of several
    :cisco devices to check things such as which company was it sold with,
    :if it was reported as stolen or if the machines are still under
    :warranty or smartnet maintenance.

    If you did not buy it from an authorized Cisco VAR, then
    as far as I understand, it is no longer under smartnet: my
    understanding is that smartnet is not transferable. Warrantees are
    normally only 90 days or so, so if the equipment is not very new
    then it probably doesn't have any warrantee (and I'm not sure
    that warrantees are transferable either.) The software licenses
    to use the equipment are not transferable.

    If you bought the equipment from an authorized VAR -as- refurb
    equipment, then the licenses should be okay, but if you bought the
    items off eBay or through a broker who does not represent themselves
    as being a VAR, then you should assume that all you have is a chassis
    with no right to use and no warrantee and no support contract.
    --
    Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
    Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 9, 2003

  3. On 9 Dec 2003 19:01:59 GMT, -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:
    >If you did not buy it from an authorized Cisco VAR, then
    >as far as I understand, it is no longer under smartnet: my
    >understanding is that smartnet is not transferable. Warrantees are
    >normally only 90 days or so, so if the equipment is not very new
    >then it probably doesn't have any warrantee (and I'm not sure
    >that warrantees are transferable either.) The software licenses
    >to use the equipment are not transferable.
    >
    >If you bought the equipment from an authorized VAR -as- refurb
    >equipment, then the licenses should be okay, but if you bought the
    >items off eBay or through a broker who does not represent themselves
    >as being a VAR, then you should assume that all you have is a chassis
    >with no right to use and no warrantee and no support contract.

    Thanks Walter,

    The items in question do come from a broker and we are aware of the
    licensing issues. But the most important issue to us is actually the
    units history.

    Do you know if there is a way to check things like first sale date,
    which reseller they where sold trough and maybe even to whom, and last
    but not the least: Stolen Serials blacklist check?

    Kirill Ponazdyr, Dec 9, 2003
  4. There are some instances where non-VARs like myself can include SmartNet on
    used, reconditioned equipment. In my case, it is a result of being a
    member of a large reseller trading group to make this work. This program
    is working well and has been in effect just a few months.

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in

    Brad Lovelace, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Kirill Ponazdyr

    Tosh Guest

    > If you bought the equipment from an authorized VAR -as- refurb
    > equipment, then the licenses should be okay, but if you bought the
    > items off eBay or through a broker who does not represent themselves
    > as being a VAR, then you should assume that all you have is a chassis
    > with no right to use and no warrantee and no support contract.
    > --

    Do you mean that a customer isn't allowd to activate a smartnet contract
    without referencing to a cisco VAR or that the particular serial number is
    traced and cisco can deny the activation based on the chassis history?
    Tnx,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Dec 9, 2003
  6. In article <br5dp8$27us80$-berlin.de>,
    Tosh <> wrote:
    :> If you bought the equipment from an authorized VAR -as- refurb
    :> equipment, then the licenses should be okay, but if you bought the
    :> items off eBay or through a broker who does not represent themselves
    :> as being a VAR, then you should assume that all you have is a chassis
    :> with no right to use and no warrantee and no support contract.

    :Do you mean that a customer isn't allowd to activate a smartnet contract
    :without referencing to a cisco VAR or that the particular serial number is
    :traced and cisco can deny the activation based on the chassis history?

    As I recall, when you buy new Cisco equipment, you get with it
    an entitlement code that you can enter in to Cisco's contract WWW site
    to activate the warrantee. Once the item is registered to you, you can
    buy a SmartNet package, which gets you an entitlement code you enter
    in the contract site to apply to that registered system.

    If you don't have that original registration code, then [as I recall]
    Cisco asks for a VAR name and PO number (or direct Cisco PO number)
    and [at least in theory] cross-checks it. If you didn't buy from a VAR,
    and you can't establish rights such as your company having taken over
    the original company, then the item is Used and you have to relicense
    it before Cisco will register it to get to the point that you could
    apply SmartNet against it.

    What I was saying was that SmartNet does not transfer with the item
    when it is sold unless it is an item sold as refurb through official
    channels. A dealer has indicated that at least under some
    circumstances, it is now possible to transfer SmartNet through less-
    strict channels.
    --
    Usenet is one of those "Good News/Bad News" comedy routines.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 9, 2003
  7. "Kirill Ponazdyr" <> wrote in message
    > We would like to do a background check on serial numbers of several
    > cisco devices to check things such as which company was it sold with,
    > if it was reported as stolen or if the machines are still under
    > warranty or smartnet maintenance.

    Warranty, software license and Smartnet are non transferrable.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html

    > Our direct calls to Cisco resulted in nothing, the cisco
    > representative told us, that while he can check the serial numbers for
    > us, he cannot tell us anything about their origin / history / warranty
    > or smartnet status because of the "privacy reasons".

    There have been some interesting identify theft/serial number fraud schemes,
    so there cannot be blind verification of such information to unauthenticated
    callers.

    > Which kind of
    > makes a check pointless, isn't it? He also claimed that he cannot
    > check if the serials are reported stolen.

    The fact that at item is stolen is not always reported to Cisco.

    > I find it hard to believe, there are some hints on the web stating,
    > that supposedly some of this functions are available under SCC section
    > of Cisco web site, but we are not able to access it with our CCO
    > account.

    Can you point us at those hints? There was a serial number checker at one
    point, but it was removed due to abuse. There may still be (mistaken) hints
    of its existence.

    > The closest we got was the "Quick Search" under SCC
    > registration section, which always gives us "This functionality is not
    > availalble at this time." message.

    Right. The best way to verify serial number information is to contact your
    Service Contract Sales rep (800-553-6387, option 4 (international +1 408 526
    7208)), who should be able verify an item is eligible for service prior to
    issuing a contract.

    You might also contact the email address at the bottom of this page
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html

    Phillip Remaker, Dec 9, 2003
  8. On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 19:52:11 +0100, Kirill Ponazdyr
    <> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >We would like to do a background check on serial numbers of several
    >cisco devices to check things such as which company was it sold with,
    >if it was reported as stolen or if the machines are still under
    >warranty or smartnet maintenance.

    Hello,

    Here is what we have found out in a meanwhile, it might be useful to
    anyone who wants to do the same checks:

    To check the questions like:

    * When and where was the equipment sold for the first time.
    * Who was the first reseller.
    * If it is or was under SmartNet maintenance or warranty.

    Call Cisco Customer Service ** in USA **, even if you are from
    overseas. Our expierence was that the support is most friendly and
    helpful there.

    To check the questions like:

    * If the machines where reported Stolen.
    * If the machines have any history like RMAs or similar

    Call Cisco Asset Recovery center (You would have to go thru operator
    and request them). Again, people are very friendly and helpful there.

    In our case all machines where "clean" and had a history we actually
    where told they do :)

    Kirill Ponazdyr, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Kirill Ponazdyr

    ALMA8

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    What exactly is the question? It looks more like a table of contents/overview of some computer course to me.

    ALMA8, Mar 30, 2010