Cisco - Distribute-List and eigrp

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Reinhard, May 28, 2004.

  1. Reinhard

    Reinhard Guest

    Hello,

    I have a problem to understand how this distribute-lists work.
    I have a router A in London and a router B in New York.
    Router A connects via ISDN to its local partner routers (all located
    in London)
    and router B does the same in New York. Router A should be the backup
    for router B and versa vice. So, if I (in location C) want to connect
    to a router in London router A should call this router and should
    establish this connection.

    Works fine - but now someone suggest to put distribute-list into
    router A and B and that is were my trouble starts.

    I created an access-list 99 which permits my network 172.68.10.0 and
    for each Dialer an access-list (name of the acess-list equal to Dialer
    name) and I created a distribute-list for each dialer to the partner
    router e.g.

    access-list 99 permit 172.68.10.0

    ip access-list Dialer1
    permit 192.168.4.0

    router eigrp 407
    distribute-list 99 out Dialer1
    distribute-list Dialer1 in Dialer1

    router A and B have eigrp 407 configured. So I put all
    distribute-lists under router eigrp 407 and ... nothing happens -
    means I can't access the partner routers anymore. I get router A and B
    but that's it.

    Here a sample configuration

    myPC 172.68.10.23 wants to connect to London City Server

    172.68.10.23->172.68.10.1->172.1.2.5->172.168.2.1 ->192.168.4.33
    mypc ->myGateway ->RouterX -> A via ISDN*-> London City

    *Dialer will be Number 12 for example

    in case of router A failure router B should call London City Server

    172.68.10.23->172.68.10.1->172.1.1.5->172.168.1.1 ->192.168.4.33
    mypc ->myGateway ->RouterY -> B via ISDN*-> London City

    in this case Dialer is Number 30

    Now, here is my question:
    I was told that the Dialers on Router A and B must not have the same
    Numbers - means that a Dialer1 on Router A calls London City and the
    Dialer1 in New York calls a number in Harlem - is this true?
    I thought, that eigrp will handle it that the distribute-lists are the
    same on router A and router B. So if I configured it on A via eigrp B
    has the same.

    Thank you and hopefully I explained it well. Sorry for my bad english.
    Reinhard
    Reinhard, May 28, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    (Reinhard) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a problem to understand how this distribute-lists work.
    > I have a router A in London and a router B in New York.
    > Router A connects via ISDN to its local partner routers (all located
    > in London)
    > and router B does the same in New York. Router A should be the backup
    > for router B and versa vice. So, if I (in location C) want to connect
    > to a router in London router A should call this router and should
    > establish this connection.
    >
    > Works fine - but now someone suggest to put distribute-list into
    > router A and B and that is were my trouble starts.
    >
    > I created an access-list 99 which permits my network 172.68.10.0 and
    > for each Dialer an access-list (name of the acess-list equal to Dialer
    > name) and I created a distribute-list for each dialer to the partner
    > router e.g.
    >
    > access-list 99 permit 172.68.10.0
    >
    > ip access-list Dialer1
    > permit 192.168.4.0
    >
    > router eigrp 407
    > distribute-list 99 out Dialer1
    > distribute-list Dialer1 in Dialer1
    >
    > router A and B have eigrp 407 configured. So I put all
    > distribute-lists under router eigrp 407 and ... nothing happens -
    > means I can't access the partner routers anymore. I get router A and B
    > but that's it.

    Try using "debug ip igrp" to see what's happening.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, May 28, 2004

  3. Reinhard

    Reinhard Guest

    Barry Margolin <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Reinhard) wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a problem to understand how this distribute-lists work.
    > > I have a router A in London and a router B in New York.
    > > Router A connects via ISDN to its local partner routers (all located
    > > in London)
    > > and router B does the same in New York. Router A should be the backup
    > > for router B and versa vice. So, if I (in location C) want to connect
    > > to a router in London router A should call this router and should
    > > establish this connection.
    > >
    > > Works fine - but now someone suggest to put distribute-list into
    > > router A and B and that is were my trouble starts.
    > >
    > > I created an access-list 99 which permits my network 172.68.10.0 and
    > > for each Dialer an access-list (name of the acess-list equal to Dialer
    > > name) and I created a distribute-list for each dialer to the partner
    > > router e.g.
    > >
    > > access-list 99 permit 172.68.10.0
    > >
    > > ip access-list Dialer1
    > > permit 192.168.4.0
    > >
    > > router eigrp 407
    > > distribute-list 99 out Dialer1
    > > distribute-list Dialer1 in Dialer1
    > >
    > > router A and B have eigrp 407 configured. So I put all
    > > distribute-lists under router eigrp 407 and ... nothing happens -
    > > means I can't access the partner routers anymore. I get router A and B
    > > but that's it.

    > Try using "debug ip igrp" to see what's happening.

    Thank you - I will give it a try ;-)
    Reinhard
    Reinhard, Jun 1, 2004