Cisco DHCP Relay Agent - strange thing..

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bjoern.hoefer@gmail.com, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I have worked the whole week to get our new-DHCP Schema working. - No
    it works, but i really don't know why...

    Catalyst 3550 12G Configuration (Backbone Switch)

    ip dhcp relay information trust-all

    Interface Vlan 1
    IP Adresses:
    Primary: 10.10.6.1/24
    Secondary: 192.168.200.3/24
    192.168.111.1/24
    ....(many other addresses)
    ip helper address 192.168.201.254

    Interface VLAN 610
    primary: 192.168.201.3/24

    I want that our DHCP Server (Win2003) serves our Clients with
    10.10.6.x/24 IP Adresses. (and later 192.168.199.x/24, and other
    192.168.x.x/24 Scopes)

    The server has an interface in VLAN 610 and the DHCP-Server is bounded
    to that Interface.

    When I use the configuration above, it works fine (The clients get
    10.10.6.x/24 IPs and 192.168.199.x/24 IPs).
    But if I change the primary IP-Adress of VLAN 1 Interface to e.g.
    192.168.200.3/24, the clients get no lease.

    The leases reach the DHCP-Server, but it does'nt react on the
    DHCPDISCOVER (GIADDR ist the primary ip of the Switch).
    No DHCPOFFER, no log-file entry, the only chance to ensure, that the
    packets reach the server is to use a sniffer, like etheral.

    Is this a problem of the Windows 2003 Server or an logical mistake by
    myself?

    Best greets

    Bjoern A. Hoefer
    , Jan 20, 2006

  2. Guest

    Hello Bjoern,

    how are your scopes defined ? I believe that with secondary addressing,
    you will need a single superscope with a scope inside for each subnet
    defined on your interface. So in your case that would mean a suoerscope
    with scopes for 10.10.6.0/24, 192.168.200.0/24, 192.168.111.0/24 etc...

    HTH,

    www.solutionfinders.nl
    We've got answers !
    , Jan 20, 2006