    In that case I will move the discussion to another newsgroup.

    TIA,

    Alex.

    AM, May 18, 2005

  2. In article <z6Jie.14653$>, AM <> wrote:
    :I'm newbie about that issue.
    :I would know whether a Cisco device can act as DDNS server or not.

    None that I can -think- of, but Cisco has a really broad range of
    devices.

    :My idea is similar is to build my own DDNS server
    :like dyndns.org and similar do but I would not the names stored in the those DNS will be available to all Internet
    :surfers, so I will not point all our spokes to those sites. Perhaps is there a software that does what I'm looking for?

    If your clients have dynamic dns update built in (e.g., Windows XP
    or Mac OS-X 10.3), then any bind9 (or bind8?) implementation will do.

    Cisco offers the Cisco Network Registrat (CNR) that runs on NT.

    Also, if you have a recent IOS, 12.3(14)T or 12.4, then see
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...erence_chapter09186a0080446221.html#wp1107925
    --
    Usenet is like a slice of lemon, wrapped around a large gold brick.

    Walter Roberson, May 18, 2005

  3. AM

    AM Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <z6Jie.14653$>, AM <> wrote:
    > :I'm newbie about that issue.
    > :I would know whether a Cisco device can act as DDNS server or not.
    >
    > None that I can -think- of, but Cisco has a really broad range of
    > devices.
    >
    > :My idea is similar is to build my own DDNS server
    > :like dyndns.org and similar do but I would not the names stored in the those DNS will be available to all Internet
    > :surfers, so I will not point all our spokes to those sites. Perhaps is there a software that does what I'm looking for?
    >
    > If your clients have dynamic dns update built in (e.g., Windows XP
    > or Mac OS-X 10.3), then any bind9 (or bind8?) implementation will do.
    >
    > Cisco offers the Cisco Network Registrat (CNR) that runs on NT.
    >
    > Also, if you have a recent IOS, 12.3(14)T or 12.4, then see
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...erence_chapter09186a0080446221.html#wp1107925

    Thanks Walter,
    just few questions:

    1) it seems to me that several commands perform the same acttion. It is due to accept different form of the same
    command, look at in the reference you posted "ip dhcp-client update dns" and "ip dhcp client update dns". I wondered as,
    for me, different commands (even if similar) act different actions.
    2) DDNS can be used in conjunction with DHCP, but how? Where the router will find the name to associate to a particular
    IP kept from the available pool? Can it be specified somewhere in the config file or I was correct understanding that
    the client will announce its name? (I'm a newbie on DNS topics)

    Thanks,
    Alex.

    AM, May 20, 2005
  4. AM

    Uli Link Guest

    AM schrieb:

    > 2) DDNS can be used in conjunction with DHCP, but how? Where the router
    > will find the name to associate to a particular IP kept from the
    > available pool? Can it be specified somewhere in the config file or I
    > was correct understanding that the client will announce its name? (I'm a
    > newbie on DNS topics)

    DDNS is something different than DynDNS.

    DDNS is an extension to the DNS server. A DDNS Client can update the DNS
    records in the servers database. There are two possibilities for doing
    such: the DHCP/DDNS client registers it's newly leased IP address
    together with it's hostname and domain at the DNS server.
    Or for legacy clients not knowing of DDNS often the DHCP server takes
    over this part on behalf of the client.
    For e.g. Microsoft Win2k DHCP can register the lease in the Win2k DNS
    for AD.

    There are different ways to trigger your previously defined "ip ddns
    update method <upd-meth-name>".

    You can assign the method to an interface, so a state change will
    trigger the method. This works fine for me.

    Or the DHCP server will trigger when a lease is acknowledged. I haven't
    used this feature yet.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, May 20, 2005