    zero you could work on/reboot the box.

    Thanks!

    Miles Freedman
    Miles Freedman, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Miles Freedman

    dmcknigh Guest

    (Miles Freedman) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have recently purchased and implmented a Cisco CSS 11501 Content
    > Switch (formerly Arropoint). I'm running version 7.10 of the OS. I
    > have a couple of question on the unit I have not been able to figure
    > out from the doc. In the past I've used Local Directors (417) and I
    > need to perform the same operations:
    >
    > 1. Is there a way to view the current connections on each service
    > (server)? If I do a show summary it gives you the total connections
    > since the server went live (or since the counters were last reset). I
    > want to see how many active connections are on each box real-time. You
    > could do it on the local director (show virtual).

    show service <service name> - I believe that in the left column
    there's a "current connections" or something like that. I use "show
    flows <service IP>, since it shows who is connected to the particular
    service.

    > 2. Is there a way to take a server out of service without dropping all
    > the current connections? i.e. set it to not accept new connections,
    > let the current connections age off the box. You could also do this
    > with the Local Director by setting the box to Out of Service (oos), it
    > would take the box out of the pool and when current connections hit
    > zero you could work on/reboot the box.

    Yes - In configuration mode, enter the service name and then issue a
    "suspend" command. The connected users will stay connected until their
    session times out, they change pages or they close their browser. I do
    it regularly when I need to "bleed users off of a server so that
    maintenance can be performed.
    Regards,
    dmcknigh - jnaw (just another wingnut)

    dmcknigh, Oct 18, 2003

  3. (dmcknigh) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Miles Freedman) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > I have recently purchased and implmented a Cisco CSS 11501 Content
    > > Switch (formerly Arropoint). I'm running version 7.10 of the OS. I
    > > have a couple of question on the unit I have not been able to figure
    > > out from the doc. In the past I've used Local Directors (417) and I
    > > need to perform the same operations:
    > >
    > > 1. Is there a way to view the current connections on each service
    > > (server)? If I do a show summary it gives you the total connections
    > > since the server went live (or since the counters were last reset). I
    > > want to see how many active connections are on each box real-time. You
    > > could do it on the local director (show virtual).

    > show service <service name> - I believe that in the left column
    > there's a "current connections" or something like that. I use "show
    > flows <service IP>, since it shows who is connected to the particular
    > service.
    > >
    > > 2. Is there a way to take a server out of service without dropping all
    > > the current connections? i.e. set it to not accept new connections,
    > > let the current connections age off the box. You could also do this
    > > with the Local Director by setting the box to Out of Service (oos), it
    > > would take the box out of the pool and when current connections hit
    > > zero you could work on/reboot the box.
    > >

    > Yes - In configuration mode, enter the service name and then issue a
    > "suspend" command. The connected users will stay connected until their
    > session times out, they change pages or they close their browser. I do
    > it regularly when I need to "bleed users off of a server so that
    > maintenance can be performed.
    > Regards,
    > dmcknigh - jnaw (just another wingnut)
    >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > > Miles Freedman

    Thanks, this is helpfull to know...I just did not want to cut off
    service to active users, and I would think they would age out, but it
    doesn't specify that in the 1000s of pages of doc from what I can
    gather!!

    Miles
    Miles Freedman, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Miles Freedman

    dmcknigh Guest

    I know what you mean. Unfortunately, the CSS documentation doesn't do
    a very good job of explaining the device's behavior.
    I found out the hard way that earlier models like the CSS 11800 have a
    limit related to the size of the rule names that causes truncation of
    the rule name when it is propogated to another CSS device via "APP"
    peering. The limitation was totally undocumented and consequently, I
    had to go back and change the rule names (shortening them to < 16
    characters) on approx. 50 rules! Even Cisco TAC had no idea that the
    limitation existed.
    -dmcknigh-

    dmcknigh, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Miles Freedman

    vensatnar

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all,
    Not sure if my question reaches to you are not, but want to try.
    We have 11503 CSS is up n running with one of the customer is onbarded and when he tries to initiate the transaction it always reaches to one service 1
    1)service(x.x.30.100) on port 5000 ,
    2) servrerservice(x.x30.101) on same port 5000
    these two services are added on one content, if i remove service-1 and stand with service-2 they get link error or connection timeout message
    "service is alive and pingable, i tried all attempt to get the hits on server/service2 but no use.
    But other customers use one server ip and two different ports, so thinking is problem
    with config or what..

    We want to receive the hits on server2 , infact i hv suspened the
    service1 , remove the service itself from the content to get the
    hits on server2.
    i hv tried command like sh serve-sum , flows,cleared arp
    Any thoughts..or inputs please
    vensatnar, Apr 29, 2011