    Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

    --

    /Nic

    Nic, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Nic

    Bob Goddard Guest

    Nic wrote:

    > Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

    There is only one complete reference and that is at
    http://www.cisco.com/

    Bob Goddard, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Nic

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>, Bob Goddard
    <> wrote:

    > Nic wrote:
    >
    > > Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

    > There is only one complete reference and that is at
    > http://www.cisco.com/

    And evem that's not complete! :)

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Nic

    Nic Guest

    > > Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?
    >
    > There is only one complete reference and that is at
    > http://www.cisco.com/

    So u tell me not to buy cisco's own "The Complete Reference" ?

    Nic, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Nic

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <40f40d9f$0$169$>, Nic
    <> wrote:

    > > > Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

    > > There is only one complete reference and that is at
    > > http://www.cisco.com/

    > So u tell me not to buy cisco's own "The Complete Reference" ?

    You're talking about this one:
    <http://www.ciscopress.com/title/1578701791>? Looks like it tells you
    about how IOS versions are developed and how to choose one (you need
    336 pages for that!?). Once you've chosen it won't tell you how to use
    it - for that, if you're using paper, then you'll need another few feet
    of shelf space. It's debatable whether that could be regarded a
    complete reference either.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Nic

    Nic Guest

    Nic, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Program ended abnormally on 13/07/2004 13:05, Due to a catastrophic Nic error:
    > http://www.buchstoff.de/us/Cisco:_The_Complete_Reference/detail_pID-007219280
    > 1.html
    >
    > That one - old, but is it good?

    A 2 year old book is not *old*. Especially since the majority of networking
    protocols have been there for 25 years, and the the IOS syntax has barely
    changed in the last 15 years (there are more options, of course...)

    The reviews here seem to indicate that it's a good entry/mid-level book.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...62384/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/102-2490334-1516939

    (Sorry about the word-wrap)

    The author's "errata" page is not too bad... ;-)
    http://www.alfageek.com/TCRerror.htm

    I've seen worse, but I haven't read it so I can't say how it really is.
    --
    Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
    flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never

    Francois Labreque, Jul 14, 2004
  8. Nic

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <40f41658$0$183$>,
    says...
    > http://www.buchstoff.de/us/Cisco:_The_Complete_Reference/detail_pID-007219280
    > 1.html
    >
    > That one - old, but is it good?

    Not sure. But here are my favorite books:

    Advanced IP Routing by Slattery and Burton
    Routing TCP/IP Vol I & II by Doyle
    Cisco Routers for IP Routing Little Black Book: The Definitive Guide to
    Deploying and Configuring Cisco Routers by Innokenty Rudenko.
    Internet Routing Architecture by Halabi.
    Enhanced IP Services by Lee.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jul 14, 2004
  9. Nic

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <40f41658$0$183$>, Nic
    <> wrote:

    > http://www.buchstoff.de/us/Cisco:_The_Complete_Reference/detail_pID-007219280
    > 1.html
    >
    > That one - old, but is it good?

    I don't know, but you referred to 'cisco's own "The Complete
    Reference"'. That's not a Cisco Press book, so it's not Cisco's own.
    it might be very good, but I'm still wary of something that claims to
    be a "complete reference" to all Cisco stuff and is still only one
    book!

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Jul 14, 2004