Cisco certifications

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Stefano Brumana, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Upon completing ( for the 3rd time ) my CCDA re-certification through a
    leading Cisco training
    partner ( whose site proudly claims to be awarded as the best within
    Europe ) I reported several
    conceptual discrepancies and mistakes in the official books and on-line
    simulation tools I used.
    On June 27th I opened a case within the site of the Certification and
    training team.
    Then, after MONTHS of promises and embarassing pin-pointings, on September
    8th someone from Cisco officially confirmed me that my "brave" and evidently
    unusual argumentations were finally
    delivered to the appropriate persons in charge to handle them ( first case
    worldwide ? ).
    As a partner, I just wanted to provide my meek contribution to the possible
    improvement of these instruments.
    Cisco learning tools are equalized to any other of their hardware/software
    product: I assume they are strategic not only for the dollars they generate.
    Cisco exam scores are inappellable: my melancholy vicissitude shows their
    arrogance towards those
    ( many ) people who periodically invest their personal time and money on
    these training paths.
    I do respect those persons much more of what Cisco does besides all the
    professions of customer service and unattainable technical excellence.
    For those interested, I can provide all the appropriate documental exhibits.

    --

    Stefano Brumana
    Tel +39.338.5310854

    Stefano Brumana, Sep 19, 2006

  2. Stefano Brumana

    Guest

    Stefano Brumana wrote:
    > Upon completing ( for the 3rd time ) my CCDA re-certification through a
    > leading Cisco training
    > partner ( whose site proudly claims to be awarded as the best within
    > Europe ) I reported several
    > conceptual discrepancies and mistakes in the official books and on-line
    > simulation tools I used.
    > On June 27th I opened a case within the site of the Certification and
    > training team.
    > Then, after MONTHS of promises and embarassing pin-pointings, on September
    > 8th someone from Cisco officially confirmed me that my "brave" and evidently
    > unusual argumentations were finally
    > delivered to the appropriate persons in charge to handle them ( first case
    > worldwide ? ).
    > As a partner, I just wanted to provide my meek contribution to the possible
    > improvement of these instruments.
    > Cisco learning tools are equalized to any other of their hardware/software
    > product: I assume they are strategic not only for the dollars they generate.
    > Cisco exam scores are inappellable: my melancholy vicissitude shows their
    > arrogance towards those
    > ( many ) people who periodically invest their personal time and money on
    > these training paths.
    > I do respect those persons much more of what Cisco does besides all the
    > professions of customer service and unattainable technical excellence.
    > For those interested, I can provide all the appropriate documental exhibits.

    I have noticed a few errors in books in this subject area however
    I do not think that too much can be done about it. The reason is
    that such books have a life of only two or three years. By the
    time corrections make their way round the books are obsolete.

    Additionally the rate of errors is higher than in other technical books
    that I have seen. This is I think partly due to the time pressure that
    the authors and publishers are under. The market window as discussed
    already is very small. Additionally I seem to recall that I have seen
    cisco announce new tests formats for which there were no books
    and it took several months for the books to appear. This all makes
    it difficult to create books of high quality.

    I guess that at the end of the day the publishers make more
    money out of getting something out the door than delaying
    for artistic perfection. A bit like working in networking really:))

    I think that this is something that we will have to live with for the
    forseeable future. Unless you are aiming for a very high test score,
    the result is that it is the same for everybody.

    What else can be done? Perhaps introoduction of new products
    could be delayed until the exams and the books have been written?

    You can always try to do better!

    , Sep 19, 2006

  3. If it is true that Cisco books have an average life of 2 or 3 years and that
    Cisco itself really takes care about their quality and content, they could
    simply create new web pages where end users ( like me or you ) insert their
    feedbacks and possible corrections.
    Periodically editors examine them and issue a "Documentation change
    request": electrical "source" would be easily modified so that at the
    following edition of the printed books the errors would be eliminated as
    well.

    Many other smaller vendors apply this method on their product manuals whose
    typical life is measured in months and whose cost is ZERO !

    In my case some contradictions were present within a SINGLE page: I don' t
    expect "artistic perfection" but FOR SURE I don' t want rascality when I pay
    thousand of euros for such books.

    --

    Stefano Brumana
    Tel +39.338.5310854

    Stefano Brumana, Sep 19, 2006
  4. Stefano Brumana

    subz9x

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Cisco Cert (CCNP)

    I took the remote access and failed it by 2 points (getting a 788) the 1st time. and just recently took it again. The 2 simulations on it were not too difficult, however when i was done with them i could not get it to prompt me that i had completed them sucessfully. however i could ping the remote devices (which was the requirement) i think their tests completely suck. they failed me again, and i made a huge deal about it to prometric and cisco telling them that there testing cisco was f*ed up.. Best i got was a free credit to take it YET AGAIN when they realized there 'may be some error' with the test i was given..

    freeking great, now im takin it again friday
    subz

    subz9x, Sep 19, 2006
  5. Stefano Brumana

    RoseNeville

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Stefano ,
    when it comes to the CCDA , I'm afraid that the off the shelf books are pretty bad. other courses are better
    Subz9x
    The exam sim questions are sometimes buggy.

    I would suggest that anyone wanting to get certified get their hands on the Cisco official curriculum material - the exams are based on these manuals so you can rest assured that everything is covered correctly.
    It is the horses mouth so to speak

    RoseNeville, Oct 8, 2006