    appreciated!

    Thank you in advance!
    Igor Pinchevskiy
    Igor Pinchevskiy, Jun 2, 2007

  2. Igor Pinchevskiy

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 1, 10:26 pm, Igor Pinchevskiy <>
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office,
    > we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1
    > Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3
    > minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote
    > location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that
    > time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size
    > of 900kb. Is there another setting that could be changed, currently
    > the two routers that connect the remote offices are connected directly
    > to the switch and trunking is enabled on those ports. I am new to
    > swtiches but not routers and just don't know what else I can do to
    > speed things up at the remote offices. Any help or advice is greatly
    > appreciated!
    >
    > Thank you in advance!
    > Igor Pinchevskiy

    I have a really hard time believing this is the router/switch and not
    the application you are using. Is this simply a windows share where
    you are opening, updating, and saving a file? If so, the times you
    are talking about are completely related to the application layer and
    not the network. While you wont get a full 192 kilobytes on a t1, you
    should at least get 180, and downloading a 900 kb file should take
    5-10 seconds. Try a ftp and see what kind of speeds you get to
    verify. If this ends up showing you getting 150-190k, then your
    problem is your application, not a WAN link.

    Lastly, this is definitely not a switch problem. 3560s have gig, and
    the problem you describe is wan based, or application based...period.
    Trendkill, Jun 2, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    Igor Pinchevskiy <> wrote:

    >I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office,
    >we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1
    >Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3
    >minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote
    >location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that
    >time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size
    >of 900kb.

    Check for duplex mismatches.
    Walter Roberson, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Igor Pinchevskiy

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 2, 2:31 am, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Igor Pinchevskiy <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office,
    > >we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1
    > >Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3
    > >minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote
    > >location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that
    > >time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size
    > >of 900kb.

    > Check for duplex mismatches.

    Ahh forgive my assumption. If this is slow for LAN clients, then
    Walter is of course on the right track. I made a probably bad
    assumption that this was your 5 remote sites.
    Trendkill, Jun 2, 2007
  5. Thank you guys for all of your inputs!!!

    Trendkill, you were right it was an application issue. Symantec AV,
    once I excluded the xls and doc extensions everything started working
    like it was. I didn't realize that we switch to symantec and that this
    could cause this issue. Once again thank you all!!!
    Igor Pinchevskiy, Jun 3, 2007