? Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JohnF, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches

    Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the
    building from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know
    nothing about. I D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3
    sentences. All I need is a hub to hook the office comps to but it
    seems this unit is extremely sophisticated and I'm not. I have a
    cheapie wireless hub/router in there now with a 2nd hub attached so I
    have enough ports but I want to replace the wireless unit with our old
    single port Netgear router so need a larger hub. From what i see in
    the manual I have to assign IP addresses to each comp but the router
    does that, Oh, yeah, I can't tell where to hook the router to on the
    Cisco either.

    I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by
    the time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.

    TIA

    JohnF
     
    JohnF, Jul 21, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-21, JohnF <> wrote:
    >
    > Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches
    >
    > Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    > plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the
    > building from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know
    > nothing about. I D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3
    > sentences. All I need is a hub to hook the office comps to but it
    > seems this unit is extremely sophisticated and I'm not. I have a
    > cheapie wireless hub/router in there now with a 2nd hub attached so I
    > have enough ports but I want to replace the wireless unit with our old
    > single port Netgear router so need a larger hub. From what i see in
    > the manual I have to assign IP addresses to each comp but the router
    > does that, Oh, yeah, I can't tell where to hook the router to on the
    > Cisco either.


    Not just the typical RJ-45 from a router port to the master switch port?

    > I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by
    > the time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.


    Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    model.

    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:


    >
    >Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >model.



    I'm not sure, it says something about connecting through a browser but
    I need to set some options before I can browse. I'll look it over
    again on the weekend.

    JohnF
     
    JohnF, Jul 22, 2006
    #3
  4. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-21, JohnF <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >>Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >>software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >>comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >>model.

    >
    >
    > I'm not sure, it says something about connecting through a browser but
    > I need to set some options before I can browse. I'll look it over
    > again on the weekend.


    If it's a typical Cisco set-up then you need to install some software on
    a computer directly connected to the switch. Your cisco is "smart" and
    so it has the equivalent of a small computer and a network interface. It
    just doesn't do everything a router can. It will have a local IP number
    that you point your browser at so you can configure it. At least that's
    pretty standard- I don't have any experience with your model but I have
    worked with those kind of switches before. They keep changing things
    though so you need to look at your particular model's manual and specs.

    >
    > JohnF



    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
    #4
  5. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I found an 8 port hub in my box(s) of goodies so I bought some time on
    figuring out the Cisco. I may just try to sell the 2 Ciscos and get a
    larger, less complicated switch/hub.

    Thanks

    JohnF

    PS, I have run into another problem, made a new post for it though.



    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:00:19 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-07-21, JohnF <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>
    >>>Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >>>software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >>>comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >>>model.

    >>
    >>
    >> I'm not sure, it says something about connecting through a browser but
    >> I need to set some options before I can browse. I'll look it over
    >> again on the weekend.

    >
    >If it's a typical Cisco set-up then you need to install some software on
    >a computer directly connected to the switch. Your cisco is "smart" and
    >so it has the equivalent of a small computer and a network interface. It
    >just doesn't do everything a router can. It will have a local IP number
    >that you point your browser at so you can configure it. At least that's
    >pretty standard- I don't have any experience with your model but I have
    >worked with those kind of switches before. They keep changing things
    >though so you need to look at your particular model's manual and specs.
    >
    >>
    >> JohnF
     
    JohnF, Jul 22, 2006
    #5
  6. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-22, JohnF <> wrote:
    > I found an 8 port hub in my box(s) of goodies so I bought some time on
    > figuring out the Cisco. I may just try to sell the 2 Ciscos and get a
    > larger, less complicated switch/hub.


    If you don't need it and you just want connections then a "dumb" hub is
    really the simplest. I don't know what era your Cisco is from but
    typically they sell new ~$700. They are highly functional, some
    including phone switching. Perhaps overkill for your needs. If you are
    going to be at this for awhile then buying new with currently supported
    software is the way to go even though it's more expensive in the short
    term. Cisco retires older models and stops supporting them so it can be
    a bear to startup with an older device. Just my $.02.

    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JohnF
    >
    > PS, I have run into another problem, made a new post for it though.
    >
    >
    >
    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:00:19 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-21, JohnF <> wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >>>>software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >>>>comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >>>>model.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure, it says something about connecting through a browser but
    >>> I need to set some options before I can browse. I'll look it over
    >>> again on the weekend.

    >>
    >>If it's a typical Cisco set-up then you need to install some software on
    >>a computer directly connected to the switch. Your cisco is "smart" and
    >>so it has the equivalent of a small computer and a network interface. It
    >>just doesn't do everything a router can. It will have a local IP number
    >>that you point your browser at so you can configure it. At least that's
    >>pretty standard- I don't have any experience with your model but I have
    >>worked with those kind of switches before. They keep changing things
    >>though so you need to look at your particular model's manual and specs.
    >>
    >>>
    >>> JohnF

    >



    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
    #6
  7. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-22, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:15:41 -0000, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>>>If it's a typical Cisco set-up then you need to install some software on
    >>>>a computer directly connected to the switch. Your cisco is "smart" and
    >>>>so it has the equivalent of a small computer and a network interface. It
    >>>>just doesn't do everything a router can. It will have a local IP number
    >>>>that you point your browser at so you can configure it. At least that's
    >>>>pretty standard- I don't have any experience with your model but I have
    >>>>worked with those kind of switches before. They keep changing things
    >>>>though so you need to look at your particular model's manual and specs.

    >
    > We have four Catalysts running. I didn't set them up but from what I see they're
    > just acting like transparent switches to the PIX. I've got a 3Com in the rack
    > that looks brand new and is just sitting there not hooked up to anything. I have
    > another 3Com that I'm going to hook up in the basement there so I can run the
    > lines from it to the new HIM office instead of running long lines all the way
    > down the hall, down through the floor, and then across the basement. They
    > shouldn't see any performance hit from it, I don't think.


    I don't think so, either. They were designed to just pile on
    connections. And they are fast.

    > Man, Ciscos can sure put out the heat. I hate to go into the closet for anything
    > - it's very small and it's always very hot in there.


    There's a lot of switching going on in there :)

    Don't the old Ciscos need their magic software to get them initially
    configured? I haven't fooled around with those for several years
    (which makes me very out of date, Cisco-wise) but I think they need to
    be told how to behave. I know the newer ones just have a web interface
    (sweeeet!) but, IIRC, the older ones had a proprietary software install.
    Before the "firmware revolution".


    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
    #7
  8. JohnF

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:31:13 +0000, JohnF wrote:

    >
    > Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches
    >
    > Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    > plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the building
    > from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know nothing about. I
    > D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3 sentences. All I need is
    > a hub to hook the office comps to but it seems this unit is extremely
    > sophisticated and I'm not. I have a cheapie wireless hub/router in there
    > now with a 2nd hub attached so I have enough ports but I want to replace
    > the wireless unit with our old single port Netgear router so need a larger
    > hub. From what i see in the manual I have to assign IP addresses to each
    > comp but the router does that, Oh, yeah, I can't tell where to hook the
    > router to on the Cisco either.
    >
    > I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by the
    > time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > JohnF


    Need the appropriate RJ45 - DB9 cable, a terminal program such as Procomm
    or Hyperterminal. Hook the terminal or PC running terminal software via
    serial port to the RJ45 console port on the Cisco. Remember you have
    passwords protecting the setup so that's a problem. You can also access
    the Cisco using a web browser at its IP address but you'll have to figure
    that out or set it up via telnet into the console port.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
     
    Meat Plow, Jul 22, 2006
    #8
  9. JohnF

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:09:02 -0500, Mara wrote:

    > Subject: Re: ? Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches
    > From: Mara <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:09:02 -0500
    >
    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:54:37 -0000, Jimchip
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>Don't the old Ciscos need their magic software to get them initially
    >>configured? I haven't fooled around with those for several years (which
    >>makes me very out of date, Cisco-wise) but I think they need to be told
    >>how to behave. I know the newer ones just have a web interface (sweeeet!)
    >>but, IIRC, the older ones had a proprietary software install. Before the
    >>"firmware revolution".

    >
    > I don't run them - the big network does. These are new enough to be
    > browser-based - I think


    Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahah you "think" pityfull.


    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
     
    Meat Plow, Jul 22, 2006
    #9
  10. JohnF

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:31:13 GMT, JohnF wrote:

    >
    >Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches


    On the back of this will be 2 stickers,

    WS-35xxXL- , and the
    other is IOS xx.x(yy) zz

    Reply with those.

    Also on the back you will see a Console RJ45 port, you connect to that
    with any dumb terminal software like Hyperterminal.

    You need a DB9-RJ45 Cisco rollover cable, looks like
    http://dwseo.ddc.ac.kr/cisco-pub/images/cable-console-500.jpg
    The DB9 end may be a gray adapter and the cable will br RJ45-RJ45
    as in
    http://www.stril.com/marketing/2500/Consolecablekit.jpg


    >Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    >plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the


    What's a plain hub? BTW it's a switch.

    >building from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know


    If you aren't the original owner then you have to relicense the IOS
    software from Cisco.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/
    Software Transfer & Licensing

    Look for the password removal and config wipe commands , www.cisco.com


    Basics of accessing command line, different modes
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._reference_chapter09186a00800d9c95.html#21590
    User Exec, Privileged EXEC least minimum you may need.

    3500XL cables and adapters, connecting to PC/
    Identifying a Rollover Cable
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._4container_ccmigration_09186a00801e873f.html


    >nothing about. I D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3


    Which manual, helps to refer to what you may already have.

    >sentences. All I need is a hub to hook the office comps to but it


    It's not that hard.

    >seems this unit is extremely sophisticated and I'm not. I have a


    It would be, there is a difference betewwn a 4 port Netgear home switch
    and a 3500XL.

    >cheapie wireless hub/router in there now with a 2nd hub attached so I


    You may need a crossover cable from the ISP connection to the 3500XL. I
    can't remember just now.

    >have enough ports but I want to replace the wireless unit with our old
    >single port Netgear router so need a larger hub. From what i see in
    >the manual I have to assign IP addresses to each comp but the router


    Your Netgear router should provide the DHCP to handle the IP addressing.

    >does that, Oh, yeah, I can't tell where to hook the router to on the


    Same place as the other stuff you have connected.

    ISP - Netgear WAN port - Netgear LAN port - Cisco

    >Cisco either.


    This must have been easy to find
    http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/search.pl
    enter - 3500xl reset password

    Skipping a search and going straight to =

    Note there are no shortcuts, you have to follow all the steps in order
    and carefully.

    Password recovery (reset)
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

    Reset Catalyst Switches Running Cisco IOS Software
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml
    applies to - Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL

    There is no short cut (again), you have to follow all the steps,
    erasing the config
    wiping the vlan information.


    >I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by
    >the time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >JohnF


    Me
     
    why?, Jul 22, 2006
    #10
  11. JohnF

    why? Guest

    X-No-Archive: Yes
    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:43:33 GMT, JohnF wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >>Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >>software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >>comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >>model.

    >
    >
    >I'm not sure, it says something about connecting through a browser but


    You need to know the IP address, subnet etc then set PC to same range of
    settings anf yo need the name/password.

    <snip>

    Me
     
    why?, Jul 22, 2006
    #11
  12. JohnF

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip wrote:

    >On 2006-07-21, JohnF <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    >> plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the
    >> building from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know
    >> nothing about. I D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3
    >> sentences. All I need is a hub to hook the office comps to but it

    <snip>

    >
    >Not just the typical RJ-45 from a router port to the master switch port?


    Dependin on config, should be any port as long as PC in same subnet.
    >
    >> I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by
    >> the time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.

    >
    >Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >model.


    No, the web interface does require Sun JVM/JRE to run.

    Me
     
    why?, Jul 22, 2006
    #12
  13. JohnF

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:13:11 GMT, JohnF wrote:

    >I found an 8 port hub in my box(s) of goodies so I bought some time on
    >figuring out the Cisco. I may just try to sell the 2 Ciscos and get a
    >larger, less complicated switch/hub.


    I wouldn't mind a couple of 3500XL for the house, to go with the Cisco
    FW & router :) but the re-license fee for the IOS is way too expensive.

    >Thanks
    >
    >JohnF
    >
    >PS, I have run into another problem, made a new post for it though.
    >
    >
    >
    >On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:00:19 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-21, JohnF <> wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >>>>software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >>>>comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >>>>model.

    <snip>

    Me
     
    why?, Jul 22, 2006
    #13
  14. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:09:02 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >There's enough crap that breaks around there that I just leave the stuff that
    >works alone. <g>



    I can relate to that! The only reason I'm IT here is I knew how to
    switch on the computers, well, at least I knew what a computer
    was....that was 10 years ago and it's been all downhill from there.
    I've learned so much and a lot of what I've learned is there's a hell
    of a lot more to learn. My 57 year old 8088 brain needs a storage and
    memory boost...Maybe 2k.

    It is fun though..............................

    JohnF
     
    JohnF, Jul 23, 2006
    #14
  15. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-22, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:54:37 -0000, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>Don't the old Ciscos need their magic software to get them initially
    >>configured? I haven't fooled around with those for several years
    >>(which makes me very out of date, Cisco-wise) but I think they need to
    >>be told how to behave. I know the newer ones just have a web interface
    >>(sweeeet!) but, IIRC, the older ones had a proprietary software install.
    >>Before the "firmware revolution".

    >
    > I don't run them - the big network does. These are new enough to be
    > browser-based - I think. I just haven't had time to do more than glance at them.
    > When I first took the job they didn't even have IP addresses assigned on the
    > network - I found them with a sniffer. They do now, but I more or less had to
    > insist on it.
    >
    > There's enough crap that breaks around there that I just leave the stuff that
    > works alone. <g>
    >
    > So far, the only times I've had to go into the closet was when Maintenance was
    > running lines and knocked a couple loose and they lost connection. I'm actually
    > afraid to touch much of anything in there because the switches are in the rack
    > backwards and the rack itself isn't put together right and is so rickety that
    > I'm afraid if I sneezed in there the whole works would come down on top of me. I
    > can damned near knock it down just plugging a cable into a switch. I need to fix
    > that, but there's a lot to do now including inventorying every single piece of
    > computer equipment in the building right down to the cables, and only me to do
    > it, so that's pretty far down the list. In fact I might just ask $Mothernet to
    > come out and do it for me. In fact they should, since they're the ones who set
    > it up, long before I got the job.


    I hate the inventory list. Almost everything has a post-purchase code
    number and all the "stuff" has to be checked off in order to make sure
    it wasn't ripped off (but who would want it?). Then, if something has
    not been tagged (which happens often) there is actually paper work that
    has to occur to get it tagged. It's far down my preference list-that's
    for sure.

    > "What a mess. <sigh>"


    (Then there's the stuff purchasing doesn't have a record for...We call
    it a donation when that happens, LOL.)


    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
    #15
  16. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-23, JohnF <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:09:02 -0500, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>There's enough crap that breaks around there that I just leave the stuff that
    >>works alone. <g>

    >
    >
    > I can relate to that! The only reason I'm IT here is I knew how to
    > switch on the computers, well, at least I knew what a computer
    > was....that was 10 years ago and it's been all downhill from there.
    > I've learned so much and a lot of what I've learned is there's a hell
    > of a lot more to learn. My 57 year old 8088 brain needs a storage and
    > memory boost...Maybe 2k.


    Just keep "peeking" and "poking" around :) It's a little slower but it
    still gets IT done.

    >
    > It is fun though..............................
    >
    > JohnF



    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
    #16
  17. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-22, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >
    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:31:13 GMT, JohnF wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches

    >
    > On the back of this will be 2 stickers,
    >
    > WS-35xxXL- , and the
    > other is IOS xx.x(yy) zz
    >
    > Reply with those.
    >
    > Also on the back you will see a Console RJ45 port, you connect to that
    > with any dumb terminal software like Hyperterminal.
    >
    > You need a DB9-RJ45 Cisco rollover cable, looks like
    > http://dwseo.ddc.ac.kr/cisco-pub/images/cable-console-500.jpg
    > The DB9 end may be a gray adapter and the cable will br RJ45-RJ45
    > as in
    > http://www.stril.com/marketing/2500/Consolecablekit.jpg
    >
    >
    >>Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    >>plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the

    >
    > What's a plain hub? BTW it's a switch.


    They can be setup as just dumb hubs for connectivity. One might not want
    to get into setting up the switiching. The OP's were "free", sorta, so
    it might not be a bad idea but, IIRC, he could sell them, too, whichic
    may be the better option.

    >
    >>building from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know

    >
    > If you aren't the original owner then you have to relicense the IOS
    > software from Cisco.
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/
    > Software Transfer & Licensing
    >
    > Look for the password removal and config wipe commands , www.cisco.com
    >
    >
    > Basics of accessing command line, different modes
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._reference_chapter09186a00800d9c95.html#21590
    > User Exec, Privileged EXEC least minimum you may need.
    >
    > 3500XL cables and adapters, connecting to PC/
    > Identifying a Rollover Cable
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._4container_ccmigration_09186a00801e873f.html
    >
    >
    >>nothing about. I D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3

    >
    > Which manual, helps to refer to what you may already have.
    >
    >>sentences. All I need is a hub to hook the office comps to but it

    >
    > It's not that hard.
    >
    >>seems this unit is extremely sophisticated and I'm not. I have a

    >
    > It would be, there is a difference betewwn a 4 port Netgear home switch
    > and a 3500XL.
    >
    >>cheapie wireless hub/router in there now with a 2nd hub attached so I

    >
    > You may need a crossover cable from the ISP connection to the 3500XL. I
    > can't remember just now.
    >
    >>have enough ports but I want to replace the wireless unit with our old
    >>single port Netgear router so need a larger hub. From what i see in
    >>the manual I have to assign IP addresses to each comp but the router

    >
    > Your Netgear router should provide the DHCP to handle the IP addressing.
    >
    >>does that, Oh, yeah, I can't tell where to hook the router to on the

    >
    > Same place as the other stuff you have connected.
    >
    > ISP - Netgear WAN port - Netgear LAN port - Cisco
    >
    >>Cisco either.

    >
    > This must have been easy to find
    > http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/search.pl
    > enter - 3500xl reset password
    >
    > Skipping a search and going straight to =
    >
    > Note there are no shortcuts, you have to follow all the steps in order
    > and carefully.
    >
    > Password recovery (reset)
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml
    >
    > Reset Catalyst Switches Running Cisco IOS Software
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml
    > applies to - Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL
    >
    > There is no short cut (again), you have to follow all the steps,
    > erasing the config
    > wiping the vlan information.
    >
    >
    >>I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by
    >>the time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>JohnF

    >
    > Me


    Good Cisco refs, why?

    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
    #17
  18. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-22, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >
    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:07:35 -0000, Jimchip wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-21, JohnF <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    >>> plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the
    >>> building from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know
    >>> nothing about. I D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3
    >>> sentences. All I need is a hub to hook the office comps to but it

    ><snip>
    >
    >>
    >>Not just the typical RJ-45 from a router port to the master switch port?

    >
    > Dependin on config, should be any port as long as PC in same subnet.


    I agree...if those things have a complicated history then it can be too
    much trouble for the OP. I think he just wants something to work and his
    brain is tired...I know the feeling :)

    >>
    >>> I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by
    >>> the time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.

    >>
    >>Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    >>software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    >>comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    >>model.

    >
    > No, the web interface does require Sun JVM/JRE to run.


    OK, good. I really didn't check out how old they were but they didn't
    always have a web interface :) I'll remember Catalysts are "new enough".

    > Me



    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
    #18
  19. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-24, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:47:37 -0000, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    ><snippity>
    >>I hate the inventory list. Almost everything has a post-purchase code
    >>number and all the "stuff" has to be checked off in order to make sure
    >>it wasn't ripped off (but who would want it?). Then, if something has
    >>not been tagged (which happens often) there is actually paper work that
    >>has to occur to get it tagged. It's far down my preference list-that's
    >>for sure.
    >>
    >>> "What a mess. <sigh>"

    >>
    >>(Then there's the stuff purchasing doesn't have a record for...We call
    >>it a donation when that happens, LOL.)

    >
    > Got any use for 7 copies of WordPerfect 7, still in the shrink wrap? LOL


    There's one Mac still running WP 3.0 and MacWrite 2.0 mostly as
    translators for WriteNow because there is a lot of data in WriteNow and
    no one has had time to do a full re-capitulation. Just take it as needed
    and re-format then, as it comes up. It's mostly all taken care of. LOL.

    > I already know what I'm going to do with the Norton Systemworks and Norton
    > Antivirus packages. <beg>
    >
    > I have metallic stickers that can't be removed without leaving a mark. Of course
    > that won't stop people stealing mice and such, but what the hell. They'll be
    > stickered too. Everything, right down to the spare cat5s with be in there. I
    > also have A Plan(tm) - I intend to cross reference everything while I'm doing
    > this, IP addresses, machine names, locations, installed software, etc.. then
    > I'll slap it all into a database, so I can have it at my fingertips.
    >
    > I will also clean the temp files and stuff while I'm doing this, so it will take
    > awhile. As for the TIF folders, I think I'll copy them, name each with the
    > machine name, and store copies on the server to go through at my leisure.
    >
    > "I bet I find some *very* interesting stuff in there."


    I don't want to know what might be on some of the computers but I don't
    have a need to know either :)


    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
    #19
  20. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-24, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:49:27 -0000, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-23, JohnF <> wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:09:02 -0500, Mara
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>There's enough crap that breaks around there that I just leave the stuff that
    >>>>works alone. <g>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I can relate to that! The only reason I'm IT here is I knew how to
    >>> switch on the computers, well, at least I knew what a computer
    >>> was....that was 10 years ago and it's been all downhill from there.
    >>> I've learned so much and a lot of what I've learned is there's a hell
    >>> of a lot more to learn. My 57 year old 8088 brain needs a storage and
    >>> memory boost...Maybe 2k.

    >>
    >>Just keep "peeking" and "poking" around :) It's a little slower but it
    >>still gets IT done.

    >
    > You'll notice he said "it's been all downhill from there." I'd say he's got a
    > good strong grip on reality.


    After 10 years he should and he wouldn't want to keep learning if he
    didn't.

    >>>
    >>> It is fun though..............................

    >
    > I may have to retract my earlier comment - obviously this man isn't from the
    > same planet I am. Or at least, not the same area. Iffin yous gets my meanin'.
    ><g>


    A good grip on reality is not in opposition to "geek insanity". I
    understand that geeks from the star system Sirius do think that that
    stuff is fun. :)

    >>> JohnF


    Hey, JohnF, whereya from :)

    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?
     
    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul Solloway

    Catalyst 3500 Series XL

    Paul Solloway, Nov 4, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    654
    Paul Solloway
    Nov 4, 2003
  2. MarcelM
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,159
    MarcelM
    Sep 10, 2004
  3. Fred Atkinson

    Pruning on 3500 and 3550 series switches

    Fred Atkinson, Nov 1, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,115
  4. isptrader
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,810
    isptrader
    Dec 20, 2007
  5. Neddy
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    5,578
    waltjones40
    May 27, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page