    and haven't really explained commands or details on how to do this.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    B1SHOP, Oct 10, 2004

  2. You use hyperterminal, not telnet, to talk to a serial port.
    Phillip Remaker, Oct 10, 2004

  3. More details:
    You typically want to use 9600/N/8/1 as the speed
    flowcontrol off to start
    How are you wiring to talk to the console port? That matters.
    Phillip Remaker, Oct 10, 2004
  4. B1SHOP

    NEWS-vINOD Guest

    with the db9 to rj45 you should be able to console in, without a
    problem. Just have hyperterminal up, use the correct COM for that
    serial port, and you should see it boot up...

    Can't telnet until you have an ip to telnet to...

    The console should work... just make sure the console cable works
    properly...

    Vinny
    "Take what I say with a grain of salt, for you know I may be wrong..."

    NEWS-vINOD, Oct 10, 2004
  5. B1SHOP

    B1SHOP Guest

    I am using a rollover cable to the console port on the back of the switch
    from my serial port on the back of my pc

    B1SHOP, Oct 10, 2004
  6. B1SHOP

    B1SHOP Guest

    Unfortunately, I still don't see a boot menu. I believe that I am connected
    via Hyperterminal. I see connected in the lower right hand corner of the
    hyperterminal session, but I don't get a boot menu from the switch while I
    am attached. There must be something that I am doing wrong.

    B1SHOP, Oct 10, 2004
  7. First of all, you need make sure your COM-port is working. After that,
    choose the right COM-port in HyperTerminal and configure it like this:
    Bits per second: 9600
    Databits: 8
    Parity: N
    Stopbits: 1

    Then you click OK to connect. Then you press ENTER. If you don't see
    anythink one of the following things may be accuring:
    - You choose the wrong port
    - Your COM-port isn't functioning
    - You didn't place the db9/rj45 convertor correctly

    Check your hardware-thing (i forgot how to translate that from Dutch to
    English, sorry 'bout that, hehe) in the configpanel.

    Sjoerd Wolters, Oct 10, 2004
  8. B1SHOP

    Velvet Guest

    B1SHOP wrote:
    > Unfortunately, I still don't see a boot menu. I believe that I am connected
    > via Hyperterminal. I see connected in the lower right hand corner of the
    > hyperterminal session, but I don't get a boot menu from the switch while I
    > am attached. There must be something that I am doing wrong.

    Have you verified your com port works on your pc? Check it's not
    disabled in BIOS etc.

    If that fails, get a copy of ethereal (packet sniffer), shove your pc
    onto the switch via network, have a look to see if the switch has an IP
    address assigned. You might be lucky and be able to set the pc up to
    telnet into it.

    --

    Velvet
    Velvet, Oct 11, 2004