    somebody take a guess what the setup is?
    Also if it was possible if there are other sources/newsgroups that would be
    more suitable places to ask this question, please point me to them.

    cristi, Jun 9, 2004

  2. cristi

    Toby Guest

    "cristi" <> wrote in message
    news:ca79rj$k6d$...

    > I have tried getting some more details about the server from the IT

    Manager
    > but his knowledge seems to be very limited regarding the system in place

    Its the title Manager that makes it impossible for him to know what's going
    on at a technical level. They do need a degree in babble though to pass the
    interview and get the job.

    If he had a title of IT Administrator I would have more faith.

    Sorry I don't have an answer for you. All I know is that Call manager is a
    software application that sits on A Windows 2000 box and assists the voice
    call setup, route calls using Route filters, Number translation, Call baring
    etc. Access to this software is usually (if not always) via a web browser
    and would be behind a firewall for administration.

    Don't flame me here, this is my excperience and not a dig at any good
    managers that I haven't met/heard of.

    Toby

    Toby, Jun 9, 2004

  3. cristi

    cristi Guest

    He also administers the network. The company never purchases anything
    without hefty support. So bassically they spend their time bringing people
    in to fix things.
    This is the same manager who "as far as I know AMD does not do chips for
    servers", who has a hazy idea as to what NAT does("I think my ADSL router
    at home has that"), never heard of SSH, who "I do not believe there is a
    way for you to connect to that internet machine if you are on a dynamic ip"
    etc.

    He only started 4 months ago and it was the previous manager who setup the
    infrastructure. I can feel compassion for that but his lack of interest
    plus his attitude - "if I dont know anything about it it must be shit"
    really irritates me when I try to get things done.
    When I asked him what they used for their VoIP so that I could get
    documentation in order to interface with it, he said that it was a v
    special piece of software and that it was called "something like KirK" and
    did not miss the opportunity to roll his eyes when I asked him for more
    details in order to get the job done.

    cristi, Jun 9, 2004
  4. cristi

    Toby Guest

    Yeah know where your comming from.

    Senior and middle managers nowaday wan't yes men under them as it gives them
    a sense of power. People of power are only interested in more power and
    money so they look down on the ones below them and run in blind ignorance.
    They state customer satisfaction to the workforce who already live in the
    real world and know the value of their customers and wan't job satisfaction
    not power (although money doesn't harm). We also know that a successful
    company is our future (no big payoffs) and customer satisfaction is key
    again to achieving this.

    Maybe a manacger doesn't need to know how things work in a great technical
    detail. But they should know what they do and what they achieve, both pro's
    and con's or how else are they to make decisions apart from doing 1-1's
    which they use to impose even more power with "I am your superior". There's
    also no problem with paying outside Companies or individuals with CCNP/CCIE
    ratings to help design a network (or other types if using an alternate
    manufacturers equipment). But should have at least an Administrator who
    understands the design, with the ability to cope with common problems.

    The pay packet you recieve from a company/institution should reflect what
    you can achieve for that company but doesn't make you a superior being if
    you earn more. But I'm afraid the managers think it does make them
    superior. Just look how many drive expensive high powered cars and cut you
    up along with other dangerous road behavior thinking they own the road (at
    least in the UK it's like this) And they have the audasity to think there
    clever!! The truth is we are born from a egg/sperm and all end up the same
    way and are forgotton about over the generations apart from on a family tree
    perhaps (just a name in time if were lucky). But the real truth is that
    anyone of us could learn to do a managers job if we had the inclination
    which I have not, but Only some of them could become proficient at ours.

    Sorry I don't mean to take over your thread, I have had a drink tonight, a
    rare opertunity and will get off my soap box so you can get the answers you
    require.

    Toby

    Toby, Jun 9, 2004
  5. cristi

    Majortom Guest

    Hi Cristi,

    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "telephone numbers active." Do you mean numbers that are connected in active calls? Or do you mean directory numbers that have been configured in CallManager? As far as a 'contacts' list, there are a few options. CallManager has a global user directory that can be accessed by pressing the Directories button on a Cisco 7940/60/70 IP phone. That'll only work if the admin has configured users for every directory number and kept the directory up to date. Another option is the Bulk Administration Tool (BAT). You can use it to query the CallManager database and output a CSV file. I'm not sure if BAT is installed by default or if it's an extra option...if it is installed, I think the URL is usually http://CallManagerPublisher/bat. You would also need a username and password for BAT and it doesn't sound like the "manager" would tell you what they are. There is probably also a way to query the db using SQL but I couldn't tell you for sure.

    I hope that I've been able to help and/or that you get a more competent IT manager. Cisco's website has tons of documentation.

    Majortom, Jun 9, 2004
  6. cristi

    cristi Guest

    Let's say that we have 40 IP phones in the office. Whenever somebody new
    joins the Man gives them a phone and a new extension and then exports the
    list of Names/Numbers to a file and distributes the file to everyone. I
    would like to know if there is a way for me to query whatever program
    manages the equipment for the nembers/names so we can do away with the
    "old" ways.

    cristi, Jun 10, 2004