Cisco/Cabletron Compatibility ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by DS, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. DS

    DS Guest

    Hi,

    I've a quick question. The company I work for provides some level of
    support for a local ISP. This local ISP is replacing a Cabletron router
    at there POP with a Cisco.

    There are several T1's coming into the building, to AdTran DSU/CSU's,
    connected to the Cabletron HSSI cards (like a Cisco WIC-2T serial cards).

    When I asked the buyer if they bought new cables for the DSU/CSU -> Cisco
    connection's, they said they were advised by a Cisco CCNA that the cables
    were the same and they can simply just plug the existing cables into the
    WIC-2T cards (I would have scraped the DSU's altogether and gone with the
    WAN Modules w/built-in DSU/CSU's).

    I did a similar swap, from a Cabletron SSR-2000 to a Cisco, and started
    by just swapping the router's. It didn't work and after an hour of
    troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion that the cable was not the
    same. I went back to HQ, scared up a Cisco cable, replaced the Cabletron
    one, did NO other changes, and it immediately came up and started
    working.

    So, IMO the cable are different (because of my experience), but this CCNA
    says they are the same.

    Same or different ?

    Thanks,

    DS