Cisco ASA - IP Addressing

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by K.J. 44, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. K.J. 44

    K.J. 44 Guest

    Hello,

    I am setting up my network on a limited budget and have the internal
    network, hooked to an ISA Server, hooked to a Cisco ASA, hooked to a
    Cisco 1800 Series router, hooked to an Internet T1. My question is,
    does the ASA segment the network? In other words, are there two
    different netowrks, one on each side of the ASA?

    something like:

    Internal Network 1.1.1.0/24 ------- 1.1.1.1/24 ISA Box 1.1.2.1/24
    --------- 1.1.2.2/24 Cisco ASA 1.1.3.1/24 --------- 1.1.3.2/24 Cisco
    1800 Series Router PUBLIC IP ------T1------>

    or is the ASA like a switch where it is a part of a broadcast domain
    and not segmenting it?

    Also, do I need crossover cables to hook the ISA box to the ASA and the
    ASA to the router?

    Thanks.

    K.J. 44, Aug 27, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    K.J. 44 <> wrote:
    >I am setting up my network on a limited budget and have the internal
    >network, hooked to an ISA Server, hooked to a Cisco ASA, hooked to a
    >Cisco 1800 Series router, hooked to an Internet T1. My question is,
    >does the ASA segment the network? In other words, are there two
    >different netowrks, one on each side of the ASA?

    The ASA can be set up as a Layer 2 Transparent Firewall, but
    historically the PIX it arose out of is a Layer 3 Firewall.

    >something like:

    >Internal Network 1.1.1.0/24 ------- 1.1.1.1/24 ISA Box 1.1.2.1/24
    >--------- 1.1.2.2/24 Cisco ASA 1.1.3.1/24 --------- 1.1.3.2/24 Cisco
    >1800 Series Router PUBLIC IP ------T1------>

    >or is the ASA like a switch where it is a part of a broadcast domain
    >and not segmenting it?

    In the diagram you show, in which the interfaces of the ASA have
    different subnets, the ASA acts like a router. Broadcast packets will
    not pass through it unless you configure it to be Layer 2 Transparent.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 27, 2006