Cisco AS5400 as VoiP Gateway and Router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by clmx_jleudo@yahoo.com, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi fellows

    Probably one of you can give a piece of advice here. I need to set a
    project were the customer will receive voice E1's comming from the CO
    (around 9) and 4 E1 for data, this last 4 are basically for Internet
    Connection.

    Basically I have two sites to intercnnect and I was think to use the
    same class of equipment both ends.

    Because the amount of traffic and the combination of functionalities I
    have the following questions that may be some one can answer here:

    1- The 8 CE1/T1 cards that supports the AS5400 are capable to be
    configured as voice and data, in order to dedicated a few amount od E1
    interfaces to receives the voice channels comming form the CO on ISDN
    and the rest handling the Internet traffic comming from the ISP ???

    2- The idea is to stablish a VPN between both sides, the AS5400 suppots
    it, but how heavy can be the traffic if I'm thinking also to use the
    gateway for VoIP ?????

    3 - The ISP offers E1 for the Internet connection, can I use any
    alternative to made the connecton thru the High Speed Serial Interfaces
    ????

    4- Any other better equipment that I can suggest instead of this one??

    Thanx

    , Nov 15, 2005

  2. On 14 Nov 2005 16:32:26 -0800, "" <> wrote:

    ~ Hi fellows
    ~
    ~ Probably one of you can give a piece of advice here. I need to set a
    ~ project were the customer will receive voice E1's comming from the CO
    ~ (around 9) and 4 E1 for data, this last 4 are basically for Internet
    ~ Connection.

    OK, so tell us more about your 4 data E1s. Are they to be used for
    incoming end user data calls - if so, for modem or for ISDN data calls?
    Or are they leased unchannelized point-to-point E1s? Or were you thinking
    of using channelized PRIs with the B channels multilinked together for
    the uplinks?

    ~ Basically I have two sites to intercnnect and I was think to use the
    ~ same class of equipment both ends.
    ~
    ~ Because the amount of traffic and the combination of functionalities I
    ~ have the following questions that may be some one can answer here:
    ~
    ~ 1- The 8 CE1/T1 cards that supports the AS5400 are capable to be
    ~ configured as voice and data, in order to dedicated a few amount od E1
    ~ interfaces to receives the voice channels comming form the CO on ISDN
    ~ and the rest handling the Internet traffic comming from the ISP ???

    The AS5400 should support this fine.

    ~ 2- The idea is to stablish a VPN between both sides, the AS5400 suppots
    ~ it, but how heavy can be the traffic if I'm thinking also to use the
    ~ gateway for VoIP ?????

    Are you thinking of using the AS5400 itself to act as the VPN (IPsec)
    endpoint? IPsec would be handled by the main router CPU, so it wouldn't
    take very much to overload the CPU (even with the faster AS5400HPX).

    For IPsec, it would be recommended either to use the new AS5400XM, or
    else to use an external VPN router with hardware IPsec support to
    terminate the IPsec tunnels.

    ~ 3 - The ISP offers E1 for the Internet connection, can I use any
    ~ alternative to made the connecton thru the High Speed Serial Interfaces
    ~ ????

    Are you saying that you DON'T want to use one of the serial points for
    this E1 (why not?) If not, then you COULD use one of the channelized
    E1s in channel-group mode, however do note that your channel-group
    bandwidth is limited to 30*64 = 1920Kbps.

    ~
    ~ 4- Any other better equipment that I can suggest instead of this one??
    ~
    ~ Thanx

    One of the 5400 models would definitely be the best platform
    for your application, IMO.

    Regards,

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Nov 15, 2005