Cisco AP firmware upgrades: wireless VOIP loses connections

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sylvain Robitaille, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Hello ...

    After upgrading all[0] (262 of 274, actually, mix of AP350, AP1100, and
    AP1200) our access points to IOS-12.3.8-JA (I did make sure to put the
    correct image on each different model of access point), I no have a
    problem with wireless VOIP clients' connections dropping very frequently.

    "regular" wireless data connections seem quite stable and very usable.
    The negative effect appears to have been only on the wireless VOIP
    connections. This occurs not only when roaming, but I can be just
    sitting at my desk, testing the wireless VOIP service, and lose a
    connection mid conversation, a few minutes after establishing a
    connection, more than an hour after establishing a connection, seconds
    after establishing a connection, when I attempt to place a call, etc.
    Basically, there doesn't appear to be a pattern to the loss of
    connections.

    When the connection is dropped, the client needs to be power-cycled in
    order to establish a new one. The access point logs next to nothing
    (though I'm appending what is logged, in case it does help) that I can
    get any idea of what the problem is with.

    What additional information can I provide for someone to be able to
    advise me on this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

    [0] "all" is not entirely true: the IOS upgrade failed on 12 access
    points, none of which are among those I'm aware are currently causing
    trouble.

    Sylvain Robitaille

    Apr 13 10:22:05 ap-lb817 82: Apr 13 10:22:03: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station SEP000d282e7127 000d.282e.7127 Associated KEY_MGMT[NONE]
    Apr 13 11:14:31 ap-lb817 100: Apr 13 11:14:29: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 000d.282e.7127

    Sylvain Robitaille, Apr 13, 2006

  2. I wrote:

    > After upgrading all[0] (262 of 274, actually, mix of AP350, AP1100, and
    > AP1200) our access points to IOS-12.3.8-JA (I did make sure to put the
    > correct image on each different model of access point), I no have a
    > problem with wireless VOIP clients' connections dropping very frequently.

    (of course that should have read, "I now have a problem ...")

    Cisco has recommended that I downgrade to IOS-12.3.7JA3, which I'm
    currently in the process of doing in one building where I can
    (relatively) easily verify results on a floor-by-floor basis.

    So far so good ...

    Sylvain Robitaille

    Sylvain Robitaille, Apr 13, 2006