    give me pointers on broadcasting two SSIDs. I have tried multiple
    configs and I'm missing something. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    , Apr 8, 2005

  2. Jeff C Guest

    wrote in news:1112971971.420289.273820
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Cisco AP 1100 that I would like to use on my home network.
    > It is currently using IOS v. 12.3(2)JA2.
    >
    > can anyone
    > give me pointers on broadcasting two SSIDs. I have tried multiple
    > configs and I'm missing something. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    I is my understanding that you can only broadcast one SSID. This
    could be used as the guest VLAN and clients that needed to access
    the other VLAN would have to be manually configured for that SSID.

    I have been wrong before,
    -Jeff C

    Jeff C, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Simon Leinen Guest

    Jeff C writes:
    > wrote in news:1112971971.420289.273820
    >> I have a Cisco AP 1100 that I would like to use on my home network.
    >> It is currently using IOS v. 12.3(2)JA2.
    >>
    >> can anyone give me pointers on broadcasting two SSIDs. I have
    >> tried multiple configs and I'm missing something. Any advice is
    >> greatly appreciated.

    > I is my understanding that you can only broadcast one SSID.

    A recent IOS release for the Cisco APs lifts that restriction, but
    only for newer radios (not the 802.11b-only ones!), which support
    broadcasting up to eight SSIDs.

    There's a thread about this on a mailing list:

    http://www.terena.nl/mail-archives/mobility/threads.html#01361
    http://www.terena.nl/mail-archives/mobility/threads.html#01366

    --
    Simon.

    Simon Leinen, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Ted Nevil Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Cisco AP 1100 that I would like to use on my home network.
    > It is currently using IOS v. 12.3(2)JA2.
    >
    > I use a Tivo at home that has a wireless connection. Unfortunately the
    > Tivo UI doesn't allow for any authenication protocol; they simply WEP.
    > The best way I can think to work around this security flaw is to
    > create two SSIDs: The first SSID would be my regular home SSID and I
    > could use EAP-FAST to authenicate against the AP itself. The second
    > SSID would be specifically for Tivo - I could filter it's MAC address
    > and set Tivo to use 128-bit encryption. I understand that neither of
    > these two measures is robust security but I was thinking I could also
    > specify that the Tivo SSID could ONLY access the Tivo IP Address.
    >
    > Does this sound right? Any suggestions? If this sounds okay can anyone
    > give me pointers on broadcasting two SSIDs. I have tried multiple
    > configs and I'm missing something. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    Hi

    As I know, a new IOS release with this feature should come at the end of
    this month.

    regards

    Ted Nevil, Apr 11, 2005
  5. Uli Link Guest

    > As I know, a new IOS release with this feature should come at the end of
    > this month.

    IOS 12.3-4JA is out since Apr 06.
    Have it running in lab for 2 days now.

    It fakes another BSSID by putting anothers Radio MAC address in the
    beacons broadcasted, so it appears as two different APs.

    But what the hell someone *needs* to broadcast more than one ESSID???

    --
    Uli

    These opinions are mine. All found typos are yours.

    Uli Link, Apr 11, 2005