Cisco and WWW server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Pawel Rutkowski, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Hello,

    We have two WWW servers. First one is a primary WWW server. If
    this server fail(no ping from server) i want to change all traffic for WWW
    on those server to be changed to second WWW server with other IP.
    So is it possible that cisco router check if ping to some IP exist and if
    not change the destination off all packet to other IP ?

    Thanks
    Pawel R.
    Pawel Rutkowski, Jan 17, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Pawel Rutkowski

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jan 17, 12:22 pm, "Pawel Rutkowski" <>
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have two WWW servers. First one is a primary WWW server. If
    > this server fail(no ping from server) i want to change all traffic for WWW
    > on those server to be changed to second WWW server with other IP.
    > So is it possible that cisco router check if ping to some IP exist and if
    > not change the destination off all packet to other IP ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Pawel R.


    In short, no. You would either need to configure some sort of
    failover using software on the boxes themselves, or more
    appropriately, use a load balancer to monitor the individual IPs and
    balance the traffic based on some sort of rule-set (every other
    request, based on load, or only use 2nd in event of failure). A cisco
    router simply routes traffic from one network to another, and has no
    ability to re-address a packet to a different IP when its original
    destination IP is not responding on the network, which is what you are
    asking for.
    Trendkill, Jan 17, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Pawel Rutkowski

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:22:31 +0100, Pawel Rutkowski wrote:

    > We have two WWW servers. First one is a primary WWW server. If
    > this server fail(no ping from server) i want to change all traffic for
    > WWW on those server to be changed to second WWW server with other IP. So
    > is it possible that cisco router check if ping to some IP exist and if
    > not change the destination off all packet to other IP ?


    OK this probably isn't the best way of achieving what you want and it may
    not work, however...have a look at Enhanced Object Tracking. For this
    idea to work you'll need to be able to create loopback addresses on your
    webservers and enable routing on each server. NAT port 80 to the loopback
    and make sure each webserver is listening on its loopback. Then create
    routes on the Cisco to each loopback via the ethernet interfaces of the
    webservers, and track the IP of the ethernet interfaces. Et voila, when
    the main webservers ethernet isn't pingable, the Cisco swaps the route to
    the backup web server.

    Have a look at the "Not-so-Very-Static Routes" section: http://
    www.nil.com/ipcorner/SmallSiteMultiHoming/

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:30:59 up 12 days, 10:55, 3 users, load average: 1.48, 1.44, 1.37
    2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
    For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.
    alexd, Jan 17, 2008
    #3
  4. Pawel Rutkowski

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jan 17, 4:29 pm, alexd <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:22:31 +0100, Pawel Rutkowski wrote:
    > > We have two WWW servers. First one is a primary WWW server. If
    > > this server fail(no ping from server) i want to change all traffic for
    > > WWW on those server to be changed to second WWW server with other IP. So
    > > is it possible that cisco router check if ping to some IP exist and if
    > > not change the destination off all packet to other IP ?

    >
    > OK this probably isn't the best way of achieving what you want and it may
    > not work, however...have a look at Enhanced Object Tracking. For this
    > idea to work you'll need to be able to create loopback addresses on your
    > webservers and enable routing on each server. NAT port 80 to the loopback
    > and make sure each webserver is listening on its loopback. Then create
    > routes on the Cisco to each loopback via the ethernet interfaces of the
    > webservers, and track the IP of the ethernet interfaces. Et voila, when
    > the main webservers ethernet isn't pingable, the Cisco swaps the route to
    > the backup web server.
    >
    > Have a look at the "Not-so-Very-Static Routes" section: http://www.nil.com/ipcorner/SmallSiteMultiHoming/
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 20:30:59 up 12 days, 10:55, 3 users, load average: 1.48, 1.44, 1.37
    > 2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
    > For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.


    Doesn't do much good if just the web-service stops, would it? Sounds
    like a pretty interesting, cost-effective solution, but not so sure I
    would jump into that with any kind of cash-flow at stake.
    Trendkill, Jan 18, 2008
    #4
  5. Pawel Rutkowski

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:33:45 -0800, Trendkill wrote:

    > Doesn't do much good if just the web-service stops, would it? Sounds
    > like a pretty interesting, cost-effective solution, but not so sure I
    > would jump into that with any kind of cash-flow at stake.


    The OP asked for something based on ping. He could try an HTTP SLA
    monitor if it's the service rather than the server he wants to monitor.
    Presumably if there was any kind of cash-flow at stake, he would be
    paying someone to do it rather than asking on Usenet.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    09:08:28 up 12 days, 23:33, 3 users, load average: 1.43, 1.42, 1.35
    2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
    For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.
    alexd, Jan 18, 2008
    #5
  6. Pawel Rutkowski

    Thrill5 Guest

    Yes you can do this if you have a 6500 or 7200, and the feature is called
    IOS Server Load Balancing (SLB).

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...s_configuration_example09186a0080094066.shtml

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    news:478fc8d1$0$516$...
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:22:31 +0100, Pawel Rutkowski wrote:
    >
    >> We have two WWW servers. First one is a primary WWW server. If
    >> this server fail(no ping from server) i want to change all traffic for
    >> WWW on those server to be changed to second WWW server with other IP. So
    >> is it possible that cisco router check if ping to some IP exist and if
    >> not change the destination off all packet to other IP ?

    >
    > OK this probably isn't the best way of achieving what you want and it may
    > not work, however...have a look at Enhanced Object Tracking. For this
    > idea to work you'll need to be able to create loopback addresses on your
    > webservers and enable routing on each server. NAT port 80 to the loopback
    > and make sure each webserver is listening on its loopback. Then create
    > routes on the Cisco to each loopback via the ethernet interfaces of the
    > webservers, and track the IP of the ethernet interfaces. Et voila, when
    > the main webservers ethernet isn't pingable, the Cisco swaps the route to
    > the backup web server.
    >
    > Have a look at the "Not-so-Very-Static Routes" section: http://
    > www.nil.com/ipcorner/SmallSiteMultiHoming/
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 20:30:59 up 12 days, 10:55, 3 users, load average: 1.48, 1.44, 1.37
    > 2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
    > For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.
    Thrill5, Jan 19, 2008
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    14
    Views:
    17,981
    Dougie!
    Feb 21, 2005
  2. Dave
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    5,269
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,128
    www.BradReese.Com
    Jun 18, 2006
  4. Andy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,155
  5. FreedomFireCom
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,147
    FreedomFireCom
    Oct 3, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page