Cisco 881 is booting into rommon

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Markus Sonnenberg, Jan 16, 2012.

  1. Hi,

    i have cisco 881 router, which shows now a odd behavior since it was
    stored in a closet for the last three month.

    if the router was powerd down for longer than one day it boots into
    rommon. after a power cycle it comes up just fine with ios and the
    startup-config. but if i leave the router powerd off for the weekend it
    will boot into rommon again.

    any hints? anything i could do and check or is this a case for my reseller?

    ct,
    --
    Das Abspringen einer Begrenzungsmauer dient nicht dem direkten
    Zurücklegen des Arbeitsweges.
    http://www.rz-amper.de
     
    Markus Sonnenberg, Jan 16, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Markus Sonnenberg

    Rob Guest

    Markus Sonnenberg <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i have cisco 881 router, which shows now a odd behavior since it was
    > stored in a closet for the last three month.
    >
    > if the router was powerd down for longer than one day it boots into
    > rommon. after a power cycle it comes up just fine with ios and the
    > startup-config. but if i leave the router powerd off for the weekend it
    > will boot into rommon again.
    >
    > any hints? anything i could do and check or is this a case for my reseller?
    >
    > ct,


    I would say: hardware defect. Probably bad capacitor or similar.

    What you need to do yourself depends on your local legislation, and
    whether you are a consumer or a company. Depending on this, it can be
    that you need to prove it is defective or the reseller needs to prove
    it is OK.
     
    Rob, Jan 16, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <jf0tuj$tg1$>, Markus Sonnenberg <> writes:

    >i have cisco 881 router, which shows now a odd behavior since it was
    >stored in a closet for the last three month.
    >
    >if the router was powerd down for longer than one day it boots into
    >rommon. after a power cycle it comes up just fine with ios and the
    >startup-config. but if i leave the router powerd off for the weekend it
    >will boot into rommon again.
    >
    >any hints? anything i could do and check or is this a case for my reseller?


    It looks as if it is "forgetting" its boot sequence. Open the case and look for
    some sort of a battery and replace it.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie und Epigenetik
    Postfach 1169 Internet: gartmann@immunbio dot mpg dot de
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany
    http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html
     
    Christoph Gartmann, Jan 16, 2012
    #3
  4. On 1/16/2012 11:32 AM, Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    > It looks as if it is "forgetting" its boot sequence. Open the case and look for
    > some sort of a battery and replace it.


    i've checked the battery and it shows 3,03V on my voltmeter. furthermore
    the battery is soldered to the pcb. so i guess it will be a case for the
    reseller.

    ct,
    --
    Das Abspringen einer Begrenzungsmauer dient nicht dem direkten
    Zurücklegen des Arbeitsweges.
    http://www.rz-amper.de
     
    Markus Sonnenberg, Jan 16, 2012
    #4
  5. Markus Sonnenberg

    Rob Guest

    Markus Sonnenberg <> wrote:
    > On 1/16/2012 11:32 AM, Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    >> It looks as if it is "forgetting" its boot sequence. Open the case and look for
    >> some sort of a battery and replace it.

    >
    > i've checked the battery and it shows 3,03V on my voltmeter. furthermore
    > the battery is soldered to the pcb. so i guess it will be a case for the
    > reseller.


    Furthermore, your observation that it fails after a long poweroff and then
    works OK when you restart it is not consistent with a lost configuration
    due to empty battery.
     
    Rob, Jan 16, 2012
    #5
  6. Markus Sonnenberg

    STaylor Guest

    replying to Markus Sonnenberg , STaylor wrote:
    > lassmichinruhe wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > i have cisco 881 router, which shows now a odd behavior since it was
    > stored in a closet for the last three month.
    >
    > if the router was powerd down for longer than one day it boots into
    > rommon. after a power cycle it comes up just fine with ios and the
    > startup-config. but if i leave the router powerd off for the weekend it
    > will boot into rommon again.
    >
    > any hints? anything i could do and check or is this a case for my
    > reseller?
    >
    > ct,




    Just curious if this was resolved? Was it hardware? I've experienced this as
    well even though I confirmed there was a boot statement in the config and that
    the confreg was set to 0x02102.

    --
    posted vi
    http://forums.cabling-design.com/cisco/cisco-881-is-booting-into-rommon-54144-.htm
    using Cabling-Design's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface t
    comp.dcom.sys.cisco and other telecom groups
     
    STaylor, Mar 22, 2013
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Uli Link
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    11,725
    XTREM
    Aug 11, 2009
  2. JC

    6509 Booting in rommon

    JC, May 2, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    20,499
  3. sowfpote

    booting to rommon

    sowfpote, Oct 16, 2006, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    9,828
    srinath_7
    Oct 27, 2006
  4. aweb

    Need help with Cisco 881

    aweb, Nov 21, 2008, in forum: Hardware
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,894
  5. mikemontoya

    A Cisco-881 Routing issue

    mikemontoya, Jul 5, 2013, in forum: General Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,168
    benniesebastian
    Dec 23, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page