Cisco 871 as replacement for Fortigate 60

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by HankVC, Sep 28, 2009.

  1. HankVC

    HankVC Guest

    This is my first post to this newsgroup, as I have never bought Cisco
    items for my own site before. Basically, I'm retired, and have a
    small in-house LAN, primarily Sun Ultras, running Solaris 10, with WAN
    connections through a couple of fixed IP's, and run a Mailman mail list.
    Background is hardware/software, last doing Unix kernel development,
    device drivers, and robotics in the 1990's.

    My LAN/WAN interface is currently a Fortigate 60, which is now coming
    up 5 years old, and I'm looking to supplant it with something with
    more capability. Some fishing around on various sites has suggested
    that the Cisco 871 might be a good choice, although my budget can go
    high enough to buy a Fortigate 60B.

    Am I fishing in the right pond, or should I be looking at something
    else in the Cisco line?

    Hank

    HankVC, Sep 28, 2009

  2. HankVC

    protoVision Guest

    On Sep 28, 4:23 pm, (HankVC) wrote:
    > This is my first post to this newsgroup, as I have never bought Cisco
    > items for my own site before.  Basically, I'm retired, and have a
    > small in-house LAN, primarily Sun Ultras, running Solaris 10, with WAN
    > connections through a couple of fixed IP's, and run a Mailman mail list.
    > Background is hardware/software, last doing Unix kernel development,
    > device drivers, and robotics in the 1990's.
    >
    > My LAN/WAN interface is currently a Fortigate 60, which is now coming
    > up 5 years old, and I'm looking to supplant it with something with
    > more capability.  Some fishing around on various sites has suggested
    > that the Cisco 871 might be a good choice, although my budget can go
    > high enough to buy a Fortigate 60B.
    >
    > Am I fishing in the right pond, or should I be looking at something
    > else in the Cisco line?
    >
    > Hank

    Unless you're wanting to learn Cisco and that's why you want to put
    one in I would just go with any off the shelf consumer firewall/router
    from Bestbuy. I don't know if this is your Internet gateway device or
    something that's just acting as a router between segments in your home
    network.

    protoVision, Sep 30, 2009

  3. HankVC

    HankVC Guest

    In article <h9vta4$e3p$>,
    Artie Lange <> wrote:
    >protoVision wrote:
    >> On Sep 28, 4:23 pm, (HankVC) wrote:
    >>> This is my first post to this newsgroup, as I have never bought Cisco
    >>> items for my own site before. Basically, I'm retired, and have a
    >>> small in-house LAN, primarily Sun Ultras, running Solaris 10, with WAN
    >>> connections through a couple of fixed IP's, and run a Mailman mail list.
    >>> Background is hardware/software, last doing Unix kernel development,
    >>> device drivers, and robotics in the 1990's.
    >>>
    >>> My LAN/WAN interface is currently a Fortigate 60, which is now coming
    >>> up 5 years old, and I'm looking to supplant it with something with
    >>> more capability. Some fishing around on various sites has suggested
    >>> that the Cisco 871 might be a good choice, although my budget can go
    >>> high enough to buy a Fortigate 60B.
    >>>
    >>> Am I fishing in the right pond, or should I be looking at something
    >>> else in the Cisco line?
    >>>
    >>> Hank

    >> Unless you're wanting to learn Cisco and that's why you want to put
    >> one in I would just go with any off the shelf consumer firewall/router
    >> from Bestbuy. I don't know if this is your Internet gateway device or
    >> something that's just acting as a router between segments in your home
    >> network.

    >Since the poster did not say what type connection he is using it is hard
    >to say go to Best Buy. I have yet to see a T-1 router there.

    The site connection is a 100mb Cat 5 ethernet cable from a Motorola
    Canopy antenna. It feeds a block of fixed IP's interconnects to the
    Internet backbone to my site.

    "Learning Cisco" is a moot point. What I'm looking for is a Cisco
    product that is the approximate equivalent of the Fortigate 60. I've
    been told elsewhere that an 871 is a definite step downward, and that
    an 1811 or an 1841 might be more "equivalent."

    There isn't any "go to Best Buy" around here. I live in the middle of
    Wyoming, so it's a couple hundred miles round trip to Casper, and 800
    to either Denver or Salt Lake. Any "consumer products" would come
    from Tiger Direct or Newegg.

    Hank

    HankVC, Oct 3, 2009
  4. HankVC

    HankVC Guest

    In article <h9vtd9$e3p$>,
    Artie Lange <> wrote:
    >HankVC wrote:
    >> This is my first post to this newsgroup, as I have never bought Cisco
    >> items for my own site before. Basically, I'm retired, and have a
    >> small in-house LAN, primarily Sun Ultras, running Solaris 10, with WAN
    >> connections through a couple of fixed IP's, and run a Mailman mail list.
    >> Background is hardware/software, last doing Unix kernel development,
    >> device drivers, and robotics in the 1990's.
    >>
    >> My LAN/WAN interface is currently a Fortigate 60, which is now coming
    >> up 5 years old, and I'm looking to supplant it with something with
    >> more capability. Some fishing around on various sites has suggested
    >> that the Cisco 871 might be a good choice, although my budget can go
    >> high enough to buy a Fortigate 60B.
    >>
    >> Am I fishing in the right pond, or should I be looking at something
    >> else in the Cisco line?
    >>
    >> Hank

    >What are you connecting to the internet with?

    100 mb Cat 5 Cable.

    >Also remember the price you see is most likely for the base model, you
    >also have to consider the WIC cards you will need. (DSL,T1,etc..)

    As best as I can tell, Cisco 871 and 1811 have the needed 100 mb
    ethernet WAN capability built in.

    Hank

    HankVC, Oct 3, 2009
  5. HankVC

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings:

    > As best as I can tell, Cisco 871 and 1811 have the needed 100 mb
    > ethernet WAN capability built in.

    100M ethernet interface doesn't mean the device can handle 100M throughput. How
    fast is your internet connection supposed to be?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:20:04 up 36 days, 22:07, 8 users, load average: 0.78, 0.43, 0.27

    alexd, Oct 4, 2009
  6. HankVC

    HankVC Guest

    In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings:
    >
    >> As best as I can tell, Cisco 871 and 1811 have the needed 100 mb
    >> ethernet WAN capability built in.

    >100M ethernet interface doesn't mean the device can handle 100M throughput. How
    >fast is your internet connection supposed to be?

    Not an issue here. My earlier post was only intended to say I do not
    need to consider T-1 or ADSL.

    HankVC, Oct 5, 2009
  7. HankVC

    PeterB Guest

    In article <h9r9gl$gbe$>, HankVC <>
    wrote:

    > This is my first post to this newsgroup, as I have never bought Cisco
    > items for my own site before. Basically, I'm retired, and have a
    > small in-house LAN, primarily Sun Ultras, running Solaris 10, with WAN
    > connections through a couple of fixed IP's, and run a Mailman mail list.
    > Background is hardware/software, last doing Unix kernel development,
    > device drivers, and robotics in the 1990's.
    >
    > My LAN/WAN interface is currently a Fortigate 60, which is now coming
    > up 5 years old, and I'm looking to supplant it with something with
    > more capability. Some fishing around on various sites has suggested
    > that the Cisco 871 might be a good choice, although my budget can go
    > high enough to buy a Fortigate 60B.
    >
    > Am I fishing in the right pond, or should I be looking at something
    > else in the Cisco line?
    >
    > Hank

    Hank,
    I would have to agree with Andrew... The ASA 5505 would be more of a
    comparable device.

    -Cheers, Peter.

    PeterB, Oct 7, 2009