Cisco 857 and 877 routers

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ewan McNab, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. Ewan McNab

    Ewan McNab Guest

    Hi all

    Could anyone say what the differences are between the 857 and 877
    routers? We have up till now used the 837 router and PC World Business
    have said the 857 was the replacement, but on looking at the Cisco
    website they are saying the 877 is the replacement for the 837.

    The main thing we need from the new routers are the ability to have a
    site-to-site VPN between head office, and two remote sites, possibly a
    3rd, and also 4 or 5 remote users using a VPN client. Hard to say how
    many remote users could be connected at the one time.

    Thanks

    Ewan.

    --
    Ewan McNab
    Senior Project Manager

    Tel: 0870 361 3633
    Fax: 0871 597 0672
    Ewan McNab, Jan 22, 2008

  2. Ewan McNab

    Captainahab Guest

    On Jan 22, 3:01 pm, Ewan McNab <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Could anyone say what the differences are between the 857 and 877
    > routers? We have up till now used the 837 router and PC World Business
    > have said the 857 was the replacement, but on looking at the Cisco
    > website they are saying the 877 is the replacement for the 837.
    >
    > The main thing we need from the new routers are the ability to have a
    > site-to-site VPN between head office, and two remote sites, possibly a
    > 3rd, and also 4 or 5 remote users using a VPN client. Hard to say how
    > many remote users could be connected at the one time.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ewan.
    >
    > --
    > Ewan McNab
    > Senior Project Manager
    > JMW
    >
    > Tel: 0870 361 3633
    > Fax: 0871 597 0672

    so.. in short..
    850 has ~10Kpps and ~5Mbps throughput of cleartext CEF (meaning that
    the 851 can't handle a 10Mbit WAN connection.. not even close)
    870 has ~25Kpps and ~13Mbps throughput of cleartext CEF
    850 has 5 concurrent vpn sessions supported with 8Mbps of forwarding @
    3des .. seems odd given the other stated numbers but that's what they
    say..
    870 has 10 concurrent vpn sessions supported with 30Mbps of forwarding
    @ 3des

    also 850 has no IPS or NAC support..

    soo.. 850 is a ghetto version of 870.. if it's got the juice you need
    make sure you get it for a very good price, otherwise i'd recommend
    the 870 series for you.

    cheerio.
    Captainahab, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Ewan McNab

    Captainahab Guest

    On Jan 23, 12:06 am, Captainahab <> wrote:
    > On Jan 22, 3:01 pm, Ewan McNab <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all

    > > Could anyone say what the differences are between the 857 and 877
    > > routers? We have up till now used the 837 router and PC World Business
    > > have said the 857 was the replacement, but on looking at the Cisco
    > > website they are saying the 877 is the replacement for the 837.

    > > The main thing we need from the new routers are the ability to have a
    > > site-to-site VPN between head office, and two remote sites, possibly a
    > > 3rd, and also 4 or 5 remote users using a VPN client. Hard to say how
    > > many remote users could be connected at the one time.

    > > Thanks

    > > Ewan.

    > > --
    > > Ewan McNab
    > > Senior Project Manager
    > > JMW

    > > Tel: 0870 361 3633
    > > Fax: 0871 597 0672

    > so.. in short..
    > 850 has ~10Kpps and ~5Mbps throughput of cleartext CEF (meaning that
    > the 851 can't handle a 10Mbit WAN connection.. not even close)
    > 870 has ~25Kpps and ~13Mbps throughput of cleartext CEF
    > 850 has 5 concurrent vpn sessions supported with 8Mbps of forwarding @
    > 3des .. seems odd given the other stated numbers but that's what they
    > say..
    > 870 has 10 concurrent vpn sessions supported with 30Mbps of forwarding
    > @ 3des
    >
    > also 850 has no IPS or NAC support..
    >
    > soo.. 850 is a ghetto version of 870.. if it's got the juice you need
    > make sure you get it for a very good price, otherwise i'd recommend
    > the 870 series for you.
    >
    > cheerio.- Hide quoted text -

    oh yeah.. i forgot to mention that the "stated" VPN performance
    numbers are bullshit.. the cleartext one's are the numbers to look
    at.. i got the numbers of cisco's portable product sheets for vpn and
    they are quite obviously bogus.. i added them merely for comical
    relief.. ;-)
    Captainahab, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Ewan McNab

    Uli Link Guest

    Ewan McNab schrieb:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Could anyone say what the differences are between the 857 and 877
    > routers? We have up till now used the 837 router and PC World Business
    > have said the 857 was the replacement, but on looking at the Cisco
    > website they are saying the 877 is the replacement for the 837.
    >
    > The main thing we need from the new routers are the ability to have a
    > site-to-site VPN between head office, and two remote sites, possibly a
    > 3rd, and also 4 or 5 remote users using a VPN client. Hard to say how
    > many remote users could be connected at the one time.

    If you are happy with a 837 with k9o3y Feature Set, you may happy with
    the 857 which is advsecurity only.

    If you needed features from PLUS Feature Set, you may need the 877 which
    offers advipservices.

    The performance of 857 is still above the 837.

    --
    Uli
    Uli Link, Jan 23, 2008