Cisco 851W- Terminal has funny Characters

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mousemen, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. mousemen

    mousemen Guest

    Have a Cisco 851W on which when I try to log in via the console gets
    funny characters.

    ß]{----------------------------------Ýëÿ¿~ÿûÿÛ¿{·ÿïoûûçÿ×ûþíÿÿïß÷×ï
    ¿wÿØ·7nÙ&+‹«
    +cö3^æÖ˜X˜[¶›+6C

    username <myuser> privilege²·ýÿûýÿ¿zÿÿ·;ïuäßÿ{þÛÿe¿ÿÝï}¿¿ïþ÷mÿo[›

    s£F{
    V›+sÖ

    --ß­_ïÞÿÿïÛ½³
    [÷ÿÿÙn[k+ÓþK_]
    {-----?__¿çÿïó÷¿k¶»†oo{{W{o_wWo?÷äß÷ÿÓ

    I have never seen this, Any ideas. I'm using teraterm for my session

    mousemen, Jan 27, 2009

  2. mousemen

    JF Mezei Guest

    Trendkill wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 9:29 pm, mousemen <> wrote:
    >> Have a Cisco 851W on which when I try to log in via the console gets
    >> funny characters.
    >>
    >> ß]{----------------------------------Ýëÿ¿~ÿûÿÛ¿{·ÿïoûûçÿ×ûþíÿÿïß÷×ï

    While the improper RS232 settings are the most likely culprit, I have
    had a switch that started off properly, but once it got warmed up, would
    start spewing gibberish out the serial port like your example and
    became dysfunctional (not switching ethernet traffic anymore).

    JF Mezei, Jan 27, 2009

  3. mousemen

    mousemen Guest

    On Jan 27, 9:36 am, JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > Trendkill wrote:
    > > On Jan 26, 9:29 pm, mousemen <> wrote:
    > >> Have a Cisco 851W on which when I try to log in via the console gets
    > >> funny characters.

    > >> ß]{----------------------------------Ýëÿ¿~ÿûÿÛ¿{·ÿïoûûçÿ×ûþíÿÿïß÷×ï

    > While the improper RS232 settings are the most likely culprit, I have
    > had a switch that started off properly, but once it got warmed up, would
    >  start spewing gibberish out the serial port like your example and
    > became dysfunctional (not switching ethernet traffic anymore).

    The settings should be correct as it works without issue on a pix501
    and 1705 router.I also verified them. I pushed the reset switch on
    back during power up as per another post I read but didnt work. Before
    the green OK light would just flash now the only thing on is the green
    ON light. So should I assume this router has had its day. Not sure how
    else to reset it considering you can't hit Ctrl+Break during boot-up
    as the characters are wacked. Periodically it did come up with the
    username/password login at the console. I could run a command but the
    output was not legible.

    mousemen, Jan 27, 2009
  4. mousemen

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jan 27, 4:55 pm, mousemen <> wrote:
    > On Jan 27, 9:36 am, JF Mezei <> wrote:
    >
    > > Trendkill wrote:

    > > While the improper RS232 settings are the most likely culprit, I have
    > > had a switch that started off properly, but once it got warmed up, would
    > >  start spewing gibberish out the serial port like your example and
    > > became dysfunctional (not switching ethernet traffic anymore).

    > The settings should be correct as it works without issue on a pix501
    > and 1705 router.I also verified them. I pushed the reset switch on
    > back during power up as per another post I read but didnt work. Before
    > the green OK light would just flash now the only thing on is the green
    > ON light. So should I assume this router has had its day. Not sure how
    > else to reset it considering you can't hit Ctrl+Break during boot-up
    > as the characters are wacked. Periodically it did come up with the
    > username/password login at the console. I could run a command but the
    > output was not legible.

    You should not assume the settings are correct. While they may be
    right for a factory device, it is possible that someone changed them
    on this particular device, which means you need to test the various
    speeds on the PC side to see if you can get one of them to work. I
    know, its a pain, but definitely worth it before throwing the thing
    out. Both sides have to match, and if you can't change one side, you
    just have to try trial and error.

    Trendkill, Jan 27, 2009
  5. mousemen

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    I had the same problem recently and the trouble was a speed mismatch between my router andhyperterminal. I resolved it by changing the speeds on hyperterminal and restarting the router until I found the speed that matched. The problem was the terminal speed on the router was set to 56k. Once I set up hyperterminal for 56k I got into the router and changed the speed to 9600. I hope this helps.

    , Mar 6, 2009