Cisco 851 & SDM, security problems?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Abel X, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Abel X

    Abel X Guest

    Here is a firewall rule I have set up on my Cisco 851 Router using SDM v2.2:

    ---
    From Fast Ethernet 4 TO VLAN1 (inbound traffic)

    ACTION: Deny

    SOURCE/HOST NETWORK
    TYPE: A Network
    IP ADDRESS 190.1.7.0 (fictitious example)
    WILDCARD MASK 0.0.1.1

    DESTINATION/HOST NETWORK
    Type: Any IP Address

    PROTOCOL & SERVICE: UDP
    SOURCE PORT: Any
    DESTINAITON PORT: Any

    LOG MATCHES AGAINST THIS ENTRY: Checked.
    ---

    Questions:

    Should the source network configuration I have ban addresses from
    190.1.0.0 - 197.1.255.255?

    Should the firewall rule stop any computer on the network 190.1.0.0 -
    197.1.255.255 from communicating with my computer via any UDP protocol?

    What reasons might there be for one or more computers sitting behind the
    router, on VLAN1, to receive security alerts form AntiVirus software to the
    effect that a computer with an address within the range I am trying to ban
    (190.1.0.0 - 197.1.255.255) is trying to access them using netBIOIS-ns on
    Port 137?

    Maybe I need to read up more about this. Are there any books someone can
    recommend about how to configure Cisco Routers, in simple terms?

    Abel X.

    Abel X, Oct 26, 2006