    number of clients is small compared to the size of the dhcp pool.

    Thanks

    , Feb 7, 2006

  2. On 7 Feb 2006 12:10:43 -0800, "" <> wrote:

    ~ I have an 851 acting as the dhcp server for a small test network. When
    ~ I force a dhcp renew for a client, the client receives a different IP
    ~ address. Is this normal behavior? I would have expected to get back the
    ~ same IP address for the existing lease at the time of the renewal. The
    ~ number of clients is small compared to the size of the dhcp pool.
    ~
    ~ Thanks

    That's pretty much up to the client. If the client attempts to renew or
    require its old address, then we'll let it have it, assuming it's free.
    If the client doesn't specify, then I believe we'll give him the next
    free one (i.e. WON'T give him the last freed one.)

    If you want to make sure that a given client always gets the same
    IP address, then give him his own scope based upon his client-id.

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Feb 8, 2006